2020 South American Expat Thread

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
After more than a year I think its prime time to head out of Colombia

I found a legit captain thats going to sail me to Panama this month. All the companies that make the trip are closed down because of covid so I just googled one of the captains names and shot him a message on Facebook. He ended up calling me and said it wont be a problem. We just have to quarantine for 3 days upon arrival but you can leave the ship and hangout around the marina and paddleboard and kayak and such. So time to put this research and these YouTube videos I been watching about Panama to the test!

tenor.gif

images

Cortés

Woodpecker
Gold Member

I found a legit captain thats going to sail me to Panama this month. All the companies that make the trip are closed down because of covid so I just googled one of the captains names and shot him a message on Facebook. He ended up calling me and said it wont be a problem. We just have to quarantine for 3 days upon arrival but you can leave the ship and hangout around the marina and paddleboard and kayak and such. So time to put this research and these YouTube videos I been watching about Panama to the test!

tenor.gif

images
That's awesome, should be a true adventure. How long out at sea? Looking forward to hearing about the experience

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
That's awesome, should be a true adventure. How long out at sea? Looking forward to hearing about the experience
Only a few days. We will check out the San Blas Islands for a day or so and I think the trip from Cartagena to Panama City is a day or so as well. Perhaps this will open my eyes to life on the sea. I pondered it for a brief period back when I lived in the Bahamas for a few months. It seems like a sure fire way to escape clown world haha....

San Blas Islands:
5849cc2f53d5d825000f41df7dcbe6cb.jpg

Also as soon as I get to Panama I am buying some kind of 4x4. That way I can really start to explore at my own leisure. Might even get me a dog......

Brother Abdul Majeed

Kingfisher
Gold Member
foOnly a few days. We will check out the San Blas Islands for a day or so and I think the trip from Cartagena to Panama City is a day or so as well. Perhaps this will open my eyes to life on the sea. I pondered it for a brief period back when I lived in the Bahamas for a few months. It seems like a sure fire way to escape clown world haha....

San Blas Islands:
5849cc2f53d5d825000f41df7dcbe6cb.jpg

Also as soon as I get to Panama I am buying some kind of 4x4. That way I can really start to explore at my own leisure. Might even get me a dog......
Good to hear that you are making some progress.
I'd highly recommend a Toyota Hilux for a vehicle. They are as sturdy as hell, and it's easy to get parts for them. I've got one, hasn't let me down yet. Don't rush into buying anything, do your research.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
Good to hear that you are making some progress.
I'd highly recommend a Toyota Hilux for a vehicle. They are as sturdy as hell, and it's easy to get parts for them. I've got one, hasn't let me down yet. Don't rush into buying anything, do your research.
Thanks Brother Abdul
I look forward to meeting up sometime in the not so distant future. I am looking into getting a Toyota not a Hilux though... I am aware they are insanely popular in Central/South America and Toyota is always a good buy.

This is the Toyota I have my eye on.... if everything checks out I will more than likely purchase it. Once I set up shop and set down roots I will look into shipping a couple of my fun fast cars down from the States.
19235683_14c567.jpg19235683_1e6e34.jpg

I was thinking about getting a Jeep but the only one I found that really interest me had just sold. In reality I want to get a new white 2 door Ford Bronco with the turbo 4 banger and manual transmission..... However I will probably wait a few years before I pull that trigger though
ford-bronco-Oxford-white.jpg

Last edited:

Mountaineer

Ostrich
Gold Member

Great contact. Sailing does seem to be one of the better ways to escape the not-so-Great Reset. Hope you have good time in Panama. Do you plan to get a residency there?

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
Great contact. Sailing does seem to be one of the better ways to escape the not-so-Great Reset. Hope you have good time in Panama. Do you plan to get a residency there?
Thanks!
Yes getting residency there is the plan. Panama pretty much has to be it haha. I have kind of exhausted all my other options to the point where Panama is going to be the "forever destination" by default.

tenor.gif

LoveBug

Kingfisher
Ill be heading back to Mexico next week, mainly to Nayarit. Staying in the big cities but often traveling to the beaches on the Riviera Maya

Ive had an idealized notion of Mexico but I'm starting to feel as if its been too gringo saturated

My ideal for the region is low gringos to preserve the culture and my own uniqueness amongst the population, low cost of living, good food and beaches and sufficient Euro blood for quality girls on the potential marriage front

After Mexico I might head back to Nicaragua or other countries in Central America Ive yet to been like El Salvador or Honduras. Maybe a place in South America fits more of the bill. Or maybe I'll once again find Mexico the ideal, and not too gringo saturated quite yet depending on the region. Parts of Chiapas were not gringo saturated at all, but the beaches lacked. Ive found northwestern Guatemala good on the beach and low gringo front, but lacking in girl quality for marriage potential

2Infinity

Woodpecker
Thanks!
Yes getting residency there is the plan. Panama pretty much has to be it haha. I have kind of exhausted all my other options to the point where Panama is going to be the "forever destination" by default.
Would you be able to share your thought process on why Panamanian residency? Is it just the residency you want or to also semi-permanently to live there?

I ask because I had been researching it as well, although I'm still perhaps 1-2 years away from taking action on it - I believe the 'Friendly Nations' residency for citizens of select countries was relatively easy to acquire - but wanted to understand your thoughts on why it's ideal as well.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
Ill be heading back to Mexico next week, mainly to Nayarit. Staying in the big cities but often traveling to the beaches on the Riviera Maya

Ive had an idealized notion of Mexico but I'm starting to feel as if its been too gringo saturated

My ideal for the region is low gringos to preserve the culture and my own uniqueness amongst the population, low cost of living, good food and beaches and sufficient Euro blood for quality girls on the potential marriage front

After Mexico I might head back to Nicaragua or other countries in Central America Ive yet to been like El Salvador or Honduras. Maybe a place in South America fits more of the bill. Or maybe I'll once again find Mexico the ideal, and not too gringo saturated quite yet depending on the region. Parts of Chiapas were not gringo saturated at all, but the beaches lacked. Ive found northwestern Guatemala good on the beach and low gringo front, but lacking in girl quality for marriage potential

I've only been to Sayulita in Nayarit and it was too infested with gringos, mostly surfers so at least they're kinda interesting and chill but I'll never forget sitting near a family of Yanks and this woman got a call from one of her employees in the US and started yelling at her about whatever corporate problem they were having, it was exactly the type of thing I was trying to avoid. So I returned to Puerto Vallarta and was again surrounded by fat, drunk Anglo idiots and annoying homos. Still it's easy enough to get away from those types in both places, as it is in all of Mexico, just drive 10-15 minutes outside of the tourist zones and things get really Mexican.

LoveBug

Kingfisher
Have you been to Limon, CR or Bocas del Toro, Panama?

Was this directed to me? I heard its beautiful out there, both places. My digital nomad budget at this point is about 2k a month and CR and Panama, though cheap for western standards, might stretch my wallet a but thin for the region (but Im not an expert on those countries). Those regions have their pluses though!

LoveBug

Kingfisher
I've only been to Sayulita in Nayarit and it was too infested with gringos, mostly surfers so at least they're kinda interesting and chill but I'll never forget sitting near a family of Yanks and this woman got a call from one of her employees in the US and started yelling at her about whatever corporate problem they were having, it was exactly the type of thing I was trying to avoid. So I returned to Puerto Vallarta and was again surrounded by fat, drunk Anglo idiots and annoying homos. Still it's easy enough to get away from those types in both places, as it is in all of Mexico, just drive 10-15 minutes outside of the tourist zones and things get really Mexican.

Yes. I'll be staying in Tepic and Compostela away from those hordes and hitting the more remote beaches. I can imagine how parts of Puerto Vallarta and Sayulita are.

john_Jea

Sparrow
Its the diesel..... like me

But now that Panama closed its borders to people coming from Colombia. I imagine it will be sold before I make it up there :mad:
That genuinely upsets me.

The 80s series was the perfect mix of modern comfort (as in comfort for a small japanese man in the 90") and old school durability (the fact that you can go anywhere in it and look good doing it is also a plus). It does not fit consoomer culture, probably why there is no other like it.

The only problem is that you can't find any parts for them cause they're all still on the road ;)