2020 South American Expat Thread

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
I am planning on visiting Medellin El Poblado for at least a week around December hopefully it will be my first time out of the motherland. I have been looking into Bariloche as it looks like a great area with forest, lakes, and the Patagonia mountains. I had the impression it is very peaceful and quite in that region the southern most parts of SA. How long where you there for and please tell me more is it better to fly into B.A.?

I enjoyed Buenos Aires. I would recommend that and I enjoyed the Palermo Soho area.

Bariloche is a ski town that doubles as kind of a cottagy lake spot in the summer (I went in December).

If it was me I would do Medellin & BA. If you are just looking to unwind then I would go to Bariloche.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
I am planning on visiting Medellin El Poblado for at least a week around December hopefully it will be my first time out of the motherland. I have been looking into Bariloche as it looks like a great area with forest, lakes, and the Patagonia mountains. I had the impression it is very peaceful and quite in that region the southern most parts of SA. How long where you there for and please tell me more is it better to fly into B.A.?
You’re about ten years too late unless you enjoy being surrounded by drunk obnoxious Gringos off their heads on booger sugar and trashy prostitutes, especially in Parque Lleras. It’s too bad really because it is a nice area.

Cortés

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Pay attention to whats going on in Brazil! Millions of right wingers are gathering in Brasilia and São Paulo for presidente Bolsonaro. The overwhelming consensus according to all of my Brazilian friends is that Bolsonaro is gonna cross the Rubicon tommorow!

One week ago: "Military commander says that armed forces are ready to carry out constitutional mission"

I can't find any decent English sources but basically the media, the Brazilian supreme Court and international globohomo left are all freaking out because word has it that Bolsonaro and the military police are gonna declare a constitutional crisis and seize complete power.

People have been out in the streets yelling "Eu autorizo" (I authorize) meaning that they authorize this to happen. Last week he unrestricted the purchase of Rifles, this week he made further legislation against vaccine mandates and social media companies. I'll look for better sources that show all of this. People are very clearly and explicitly saying that tomorrow he is going to destroy communism in Brazil for good. Im also being told explicitly that the military police are going to act tomorrow. My WhatsApp stories are filled with Brazilian boomers posting pictures of their guns, prayers for Brazil, videos in support of the military coup, praising Bolsonaro etc

Are you ready for Pinochet v2?

Last edited:
Pay attention to whats going on in Brazil! Millions of right wingers are gathering in Brasilia and São Paulo for presidente Bolsonaro. The overwhelming consensus according to all of my Brazilian friends is that Bolsonaro is gonna cross the Rubicon tommorow!

One week ago: "Military commander says that armed forces are ready to carry out constitutional mission"

I can't find any decent English sources but basically the media, the Brazilian supreme Court and international globohomo left are all freaking out because word has it that Bolsonaro and the military police are gonna declare a constitutional crisis and seize complete power.

People have been put in the streets yelling "Eu autorizo" (I authorize) meaning that they authorize this to happen. Last week he unrestricted the purchase of Rifles, this week he made further legislation against vaccine mandates and social media companies. I'll look for better sources that show all of this. People are very clearly and explicitly saying that tomorrow he is going to destroy communism in Brazil for good. Im also being told explicitly that the military police are going to act tomorrow. My WhatsApp stories are filled with Brazilian boomers posting pictures of their guns, prayers for Brazil, videos in support of the military coup, praising Bolsonaro etc

Are you ready for Pinochet v2?
I am most definitely ready, it's time some self-proclaimed 'Conservative leaders' - wherever they may be - confront this life-or-death struggle prepared, and ready to cross lines if necessary

However somehow I suspect l that two years from now there will be a Trotskyite globohomo puppet ruling Brazil.

Cortés

Woodpecker
Gold Member
I am most definitely ready, it's time some self-proclaimed 'Conservative leaders' - wherever they may be - confront this life-or-death struggle prepared, and ready to cross lines if necessary

However somehow I suspect l that two years from now there will be a Trotskyite globohomo puppet ruling Brazil.
I hope you're wrong! This is very make or break. He has the entire support of the military and police, I feel like without international intervention he will easily be the victor. But honestly there could very easily be troops, financial support etc for the left sent in from Argentina, Venezuela, even China. We'll see how this plays out...

I hope you're wrong! This is very make or break. He has the entire support of the military and police, I feel like without international intervention he will easily be the victor. But honestly there could very easily be troops, financial support etc for the left sent in from Argentina, Venezuela, even China. We'll see how this plays out...
In all honesty, none of these countries really matter.

The only outside force that can make or break a country the size of Brazil is the USA. They hold the cards in our current economic system, and have spent decades cultivating their usual bludgeoning tools (foreign NGOs, infiltrating the judicial/political system, social media giants, foreign multi-nationals etc)

I am not quite sure how Bolsonaro is viewed right now. I am pretty sure some in the State Department were happy he trashed Haddad/Lula in 2018 - and they still have at least some influence over him as can be seen with the Sputnik V debacle. The Davos Crowd + progressive wing of the Democratic Party no doubt hates him with a vigor.

Wild Steve I spent 12 weeks in Chile in 2019 and traveled all over the country.
I probably spent around 4 - 6 weeks in total moving around Southern Chile (it was in their summer mind you).
So I cannot comment on what it is like to live there long-term but for what's worth I will throw in my passing observations:

-In general cost of living is not expensive (except in the Patagonia region where prices are higher) but not what I would call cheap either.

-Expect to pay a lot more for everything than a country like Peru or Colombia, etc.

-In general it seemed very safe and basic infrastructure like roads, internet, etc seemed to be okay (except for very isolated locations).

-The water temperature at lakes and beaches is generally always cold (can vary depending on the exact location) due to the Humboldt current.

-From what I was told the winters can get very cold (I was only there in the summer).

-In Patagonia it can get very windy even in the summer.

-Apart from the Mapuches (the largest indigenous tribe) which keep to themselves, I didn't really see much in terms of distinct culture. Chile is a very culturally and architecturally bland country. The cuisine is nothing to get excited about either.

-Chileans in general including in Southern Chile in general seemed aloof, distrustful and not overly friendly. Don't expect to make a lot of friends quickly like you would in Colombia.

-Chilean women are very subpar and I certainly would not be considering them for a serious relationship. They are not especially attractive on average (I wouldn't say they are ugly either but its definitely a noticeable downgrade compared to Colombia). They seem to have a lot of entitlement (I predict they will be as bad as western women in another 10 - 15 years at the current trajectory) and have swallowed the feminist/career poison pill. Also Chilean women are pretty racist, so if you are not "white" its going to be an uphill battle.

-Southern Chile is reasonably scenic and good for forest/mountain hikes, fishing, rafting, kayaking, skiing, visiting volcanoes and hot springs, etc. And the fertile mineral rich soil and lush greenery and clean air means the local produce (meat, honey, fruit and vegetables, etc) is generally of reasonably good quality.

-I personally wouldn't consider anywhere in Chile as a long-term destination as it's not my cup of tea.

-Property in Southern Chile is affordable $200,000 U.S. will generally still buy you something modest and rustic but adequate in/near a reasonable town. If you want some green forested land in a scenic location near a lake and some volcanoes, etc to build a quiet peaceful homesteading type of lifestyle southern Chile might just be for you.
Thank you, a lot of good info here. I have also heard Chile is expensive for SA but cheap compared to the west(some what). I thought that most of SA and SEA liked fair skin so all good there. Any areas to avoid? I don't plan on spending much time in Santiago I would be looking for a homestead property preferably, I know the north is very dry. Not too worried about how good looking the women are, I look for character over beauty but all things considered I would prefer to have beautiful wife to bear my children. Finally it appears the cancer that is feminism is spreading everywhere through out the world, It is getting harder to get away from hence the homestead.

You’re about ten years too late unless you enjoy being surrounded by drunk obnoxious Gringos off their heads on booger sugar and trashy prostitutes, especially in Parque Lleras. It’s too bad really because it is a nice area.
Yes, Scotian I am aware of that which you speak. However I found a round-trip flight for a mere 170$ so I had to book it. Are there any smaller towns you would know about? I've heard to stay in the northern part of Medellin to avoid crime but not much other than that. I was thinking of going on a few hikes up the mountains and checking out the scenery perhaps even hitting up the local college's to see what the population is like. Just looking to explore as this will be my first time out of my home country.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
Yes, Scotian I am aware of that which you speak. However I found a round-trip flight for a mere 170$ so I had to book it. Are there any smaller towns you would know about? I've heard to stay in the northern part of Medellin to avoid crime but not much other than that. I was thinking of going on a few hikes up the mountains and checking out the scenery perhaps even hitting up the local college's to see what the population is like. Just looking to explore as this will be my first time out of my home country.
Yes you should 100% definitely take a trip to the colourful, colonial town of Guatape which is 2 hours from Medellin and easily reachable by bus from the north terminal (https://www.halfhalftravel.com/travel-guides/how-to-get-to-guatape-from-medellin.html). You can do it as a day trip but I recommend a night or two, the pueblos of Antioquia are really nice, safe, clean and the people are very friendly. Another nice pueblo to visit is Jardin but depending on how long you’ll be in Medellin, Guatape is enough during a short trip.

You should be fine in Medellin if you stick to the tourist areas and “keep your nose clean” both literally and figuratively-despite it’s appearance as a clean, modern, well organized city (by Latin standards) it does have it’s rough parts and a lot of poverty/inequality. There are gangs that prey on foreigners, often women luring men online or at clubs and guys robbing drunk gringos of their phones/jewelry on the street. I don’t think it’s a great city for a first time traveler due to the risks of petty crime but again, if you’re not an idiot, you’ll be fine.

Yes you should 100% definitely take a trip to the colourful, colonial town of Guatape which is 2 hours from Medellin and easily reachable by bus from the north terminal (https://www.halfhalftravel.com/travel-guides/how-to-get-to-guatape-from-medellin.html). You can do it as a day trip but I recommend a night or two, the pueblos of Antioquia are really nice, safe, clean and the people are very friendly. Another nice pueblo to visit is Jardin but depending on how long you’ll be in Medellin, Guatape is enough during a short trip.

You should be fine in Medellin if you stick to the tourist areas and “keep your nose clean” both literally and figuratively-despite it’s appearance as a clean, modern, well organized city (by Latin standards) it does have it’s rough parts and a lot of poverty/inequality. There are gangs that prey on foreigners, often women luring men online or at clubs and guys robbing drunk gringos of their phones/jewelry on the street. I don’t think it’s a great city for a first time traveler due to the risks of petty crime but again, if you’re not an idiot, you’ll be fine.
Thank you, I will plan to visit Guatape when I go. That is a great in depth link on how to get a ticket. I will post on here of my experience when that happens as well.

Australia Sucks

Kingfisher
Parma that is because I am referring to buying a property close to touristic towns in Southern Chile that have better infrastructure (better roads, better internet, more shops, etc) good scenery and activities to do (places for skiing, hiking trails, hot springs, etc). If you want to buy a property in a bumfuck town in Southern Chile you can even get something for $50,000 to $100,000.

Last edited:

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
Panama reversed its stance on the "only 3 months for friendly nations folks" before it even went into effect. They only reversed it for Americans and Canadians. I feel like the damage has already been done for me though... the other changes they have implemented and the absolute stupid rule that you can only drive 3 months of the 6 months you can stay have really soured my views. I do enjoy a lot of aspects of living here in Panama however I don't like how they are making it harder and harder every few years to expat here. I ended up befriending a older millionaire expat here who owns a car shop here and he said he could probably get me a residency card by "hiring me" and once you get it you have it.... I may pursue that down the road but I think for now I will explore other countries down here. I got quite excited about the idea of road tripping through Central America. That's always exciting to me though, I seem to enjoy the journey more than the destination. I probably should have looked into some type of van life style setup. I think some of the most fun I had the past few years in South America was driving across the south of Brazil.

Any way..... it seems like Nicaragua is the next spot that's calling my name. Even though I am under the impression there is some civil unrest there over politics.... but its not like that's something confined the Nicaragua these days. You know even before I even found the RVF or traveled outside the USA I always thought to myself "one day I am just going to move to Costa Rica and spend my days surfing" Even though at the time I had never surfed either. I just kind of pictured this life with a jeep and dog catching some waves and possibly throwing in a wife and kid in there at some point. I have had nothing but the opportunity to pursue this vision yet I always ended up traveling to some capitol city around the world in the pursuit of "poon." Cursed missed opportunities. I think for 2022 that's gonna be the goal, I am not complaining about the past 2 or 3 years I have spent in South America but its not really "it" I think I am going to change gears a bit and have more focus and a clearer vision on pursuing a lifestyle that's more fulfilling than just endlessly wandering around lackadaisically.

shutterstock_nicaragua_jesus_beach_people_green_blue_statue.jpg
San Juan del Sur in Nicaragua seems promising but I am not fully banking on anymore cities or countries until I arrive and spend some time in them.

thetruewhitenorth

Robin
Orthodox
Panama reversed its stance on the "only 3 months for friendly nations folks" before it even went into effect. They only reversed it for Americans and Canadians. I feel like the damage has already been done for me though... the other changes they have implemented and the absolute stupid rule that you can only drive 3 months of the 6 months you can stay have really soured my views. I do enjoy a lot of aspects of living here in Panama however I don't like how they are making it harder and harder every few years to expat here. I ended up befriending a older millionaire expat here who owns a car shop here and he said he could probably get me a residency card by "hiring me" and once you get it you have it.... I may pursue that down the road but I think for now I will explore other countries down here. I got quite excited about the idea of road tripping through Central America. That's always exciting to me though, I seem to enjoy the journey more than the destination. I probably should have looked into some type of van life style setup. I think some of the most fun I had the past few years in South America was driving across the south of Brazil.

Any way..... it seems like Nicaragua is the next spot that's calling my name. Even though I am under the impression there is some civil unrest there over politics.... but its not like that's something confined the Nicaragua these days. You know even before I even found the RVF or traveled outside the USA I always thought to myself "one day I am just going to move to Costa Rica and spend my days surfing" Even though at the time I had never surfed either. I just kind of pictured this life with a jeep and dog catching some waves and possibly throwing in a wife and kid in there at some point. I have had nothing but the opportunity to pursue this vision yet I always ended up traveling to some capitol city around the world in the pursuit of "poon." Cursed missed opportunities. I think for 2022 that's gonna be the goal, I am not complaining about the past 2 or 3 years I have spent in South America but its not really "it" I think I am going to change gears a bit and have more focus and a clearer vision on pursuing a lifestyle that's more fulfilling than just endlessly wandering around lackadaisically.

View attachment 34381
San Juan del Sur in Nicaragua seems promising but I am not fully banking on anymore cities or countries until I arrive and spend some time in them.
How do you support yourself if I may ask?

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
How do you support yourself if I may ask?
I'm a beard model
200w.gif

Mountaineer

Ostrich
Gold Member

View attachment 34381
Uncle Cr33pin always has a good write up.

Cortés

Woodpecker
Gold Member

View attachment 34381
Great info as usual. Are the land borders open in Central America? I've heard that Costa Rica is making the vaccine a requirement to enter

I recently got my residency approved for MX. Job is going to let me go / fire me on December 8th so I plan to fly down right after that to get my actual residency card, then explore for a while. I know some freedom-minded people in central MX that I plan to meet up and perhaps build some network there.

Anyone have any trip reports or have any local insight into how things are going there? I hear Oaxaca is planning a vaxx pass so I'll be avoiding that area...Queretaro seems like a great place to spend some time in.

Can't speak from personal experience obviously but I play pickleball (its like human ping pong) with a fair amount of expats who packed up and moved down here with family and young kids in tow and they seem to be fine. Really I think its just a matter of deciding its something you are going to do and doing it.... you will have your own set of trial and tribulations however this is unavoidable in all walks of life no matter where you decide to live. Again I am a single man (holla at me pretty 18 year old virgins reading this) but the thought of having and raising a faimly in the USA is not even on my radar..... What are the benefits? The thought of exposing my nonexistent faimly to clown world keeps me up at night.... Not a personal attack because I understand with jobs, family, and other variables its not so easy to just pack up and go.. also to truly escape the clown world is to undergo quite the transition... But to raise kids around the kids of my friends and faimly back in the states is bordering on child abuse.

I'm an expat in the Philippines and my partner has four daughters. I don't want them to live in America and get corrupted by our culture, only to waste their entire twenties on sexual promiscuity, which will lead later to failed marriages. They can certainly get into trouble here, but family and the culture will pressure them to generally behave.