2020 South American Expat Thread

Going strong

Crow
Trad Catholic
Gold Member
This changes Monday the 1st I believe. But you need to take the poison

Yes, Argentina has indeed just opened its borders to vaccinated tourists of all nationalities. No testing anymore on landing at Ezeiza Airport. No health pass, and within Buenos Aires city, no face masks are required anymore, when walking in the streets.

If you're not vaccinated, you can still come to Argentina. But then, a one-week quarantine will be necessary. If you give a Buenos Aires Ciudad address, you'll be able to quietly do your quarantine time at the place of your choice, an Airbnb apartment for example. In all likelihood, sanitary controls will consist of a couple of phone calls, though home visits have been reported, occasionally.

Note that prices of many items have been frozen by law, while the usd is gaining every day against the peso. So, good things for the foreign tourists.
Regarding the new possibility related to opening bank accounts as a foreigner, private banks are dragging their feet, but national Argentine banks have agreed to collaborate and help tourists with account opening.

Parmesan

Kingfisher
Other Christian
If you're not vaccinated, you can still come to Argentina. But then, a one-week quarantine will be necessary. If you give a Buenos Aires Ciudad address, you'll be able to quietly do your quarantine time at the place of your choice, an Airbnb apartment for example. In all likelihood, sanitary controls will consist of a couple of phone calls, though home visits have been reported, occasionally.
I realize some of you want to get back to the expat lifestyle, but if you are a vaccine resistor why would you put up with this humiliating treatment? If this is considered "relaxed," then International travel is effectively dead if this is what we can expect into the future. Who wants to take a timeout for a week and hope the Covid Nannies don't come and spank you?

NoMoreTO

Hummingbird
Catholic
I realize some of you want to get back to the expat lifestyle, but if you are a vaccine resistor why would you put up with this humiliating treatment? If this is considered "relaxed," then International travel is effectively dead if this is what we can expect into the future. Who wants to take a timeout for a week and hope the Covid Nannies don't come and spank you?

I think depending on the length of someone's stay, it can be justified.

3 week vacation with 1 in quarantine would be ridiculous, 3 month stay, pretty do-able.

Parmesan

Kingfisher
Other Christian
I think depending on the length of someone's stay, it can be justified.

3 week vacation with 1 in quarantine would be ridiculous, 3 month stay, pretty do-able.
If you aren't particularly bothered with Covid tyranny and just want to go back to 2015 or something like that, I suppose. I just find it sort of laughable anyone would put up with this if you are supposed to be "escaping" the West... to merely become a second class citizen/prisoner in a country with possibly even more leftist influence anyhow.

NoMoreTO

Hummingbird
Catholic
If you aren't particularly bothered with Covid tyranny and just want to go back to 2015 or something like that, I suppose. I just find it sort of laughable anyone would put up with this if you are supposed to be "escaping" the West... to merely become a second class citizen/prisoner in a country with possibly even more leftist influence anyhow.

I think in S. America you get more relaxed laws, they can't lockdown because they don't have the massive wealth that the West has. I spoke with a girl who recently went back to visit her family, bars are open, people dancing and living life, restaurants open.

SA may be more leftist, but USA has alot more leftist propaganda. Much of this is coming straight out of corporations, so its corporate. You're at the centre of it all.

I'm not leaving anytime soon, it'd be years and if I left I'd be looking seriously to expatriate if life where I am continues "as is". But if I'll be working from home anyway, whats the difference? Who are you to find it all so laughable? You're already a 2nd class citizen in your own country aren't you?

Some people just like it down in South America. Life in North America is a slog right now, and life is for the living.

LoveBug

Kingfisher
Catholic
One disadvantage to a lot of Latin America in comparison to the USA: you know if you misplace your phone there is a .000003 chance its not jacked, even if in the hands of the kindest establishment workers, instead of a neighborly answer and a quick agreement for pickup. Thank god for insurance (how many phones over the years)

hedonist

Kingfisher
Other Christian
One disadvantage to a lot of Latin America in comparison to the USA: you know if you misplace your phone there is a .000003 chance its not jacked, even if in the hands of the kindest establishment workers, instead of a neighborly answer and a quick agreement for pickup. Thank god for insurance (how many phones over the years)
In Japan you would come back and there would be a hand written note and something made in origami left with the phone.

Going strong

Crow
Trad Catholic
Gold Member
In Japan you would come back and there would be a hand written note and something made in origami left with the phone.

In South America too, you'd get a nice hand-written note, except it would read: "gracias boludo" (thanks for the phone, dumbo).

You might even get your cute origami, if you've been robbed by one of many Japanese-Brazilians in Sao Paulo. The best of 2 worlds!

In any case, why would one assume that South America is leftist? Right-wing governments are in power in Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay, Brasil, Ecuador, Colombia, I mean how many SA countries are left? Bolivia Peru and Argentina.

And regarding Argentina, the peronism is (and originally was) not fully leftist, being markedly nationalist.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
Last year I took a girl from Cali up to medellin for a visit and on day one she left her cell phone in a taxi, she freaked out, we figured it was gone for sure. A couple of hours later a random woman answered it and we arranged to go pick it up at her salon she ran, which was a hole in the wall up in a working class barrio in the hills. We thanked her for holding it and I gave her 50.000, about $15 usd, she didn’t want to accept it but I insisted. Even in Colombia theres still some decent folks out there.

LoveBug

Kingfisher
Catholic
How would you compare to Honduras to Ecuador? I’ve been in Ecuador since Summer 2020 but have never been to Honduras.

In Ecuador I stayed in Quito/Manta/General Villamil/Ambato and Guayaquil

A lot more white folks in Ecuador IMO, from what I saw. Quito seemed to have a large expat community and even somewhat of a residential white population. Saw expats sprinkled in the beach cities of Manta/General Villamil, and a residential white population in Ambato (white/very light mestizo). In the mainland in Honduras you will get more attention for being a gringo.

Weather, obviously cooler in the high altitude cities like Quito/Ambato in Ecuador. Here just warm/humid.

Not a strong fan of the street cuisine in both countries. Both places, I wouldnt rate their foods with Mexican cuisine (as a backpacker that means the comida callejera). I wasn't a fan of the encebollado (fish soup), Fritos and Chinese restaurants in Ecuador. Here don't care much for it either.

Beaches much better in Ecuador. Cleaner, stronger, but that's in comparison to the Honduras mainland (the islands, Roatan etc are popular with tourists).

I thought it was cheaper in Ecuador too, though less dilapidated IMO to Honduras. I thought Ecuador was going to be a lot more Amerinidan (like Guatemala) and poorer than it actually was. Honduras is rough/crime ridden

Where in Ecuador have you stayed? Do you like the country a lot?

Last edited:

Dilated

Woodpecker
Other Christian
In Ecuador I stayed in Quito/Manta/General Villamil/Ambato and Guayaquil

A lot more white folks in Ecuador IMO, from what I saw. Quito seemed to have a large expat community and even somewhat of a residential white population. Saw expats sprinkled in the beach cities of Manta/General Villamil, and a residential white population in Ambato (white/very light mestizo). In the mainland in Honduras you will get more attention for being a gringo.

Weather, obviously cooler in the high altitude cities like Quito/Ambato in Ecuador. Here just warm/humid.

Not a strong fan of the street cuisine in both countries. Both places, I wouldnt rate their foods with Mexican cuisine (as a backpacker that means the comida callejera). I wasn't a fan of the encebollado (fish soup), Fritos and Chinese restaurants in Ecuador. Here don't care much for it either.

Beaches much better in Ecuador. Cleaner, stronger, but that's in comparison to the Honduras mainland (the islands, Roatan etc are popular with tourists).

I thought it was cheaper in Ecuador too, though less dilapidated IMO to Honduras. I thought Ecuador was going to be a lot more Amerinidan (like Guatemala) and poorer than it actually was. Honduras is rough/crime ridden

Where in Ecuador have you stayed? Do you like the country a lot?

I’ve been in the suburbs of Quito since Summer ‘20. The novelty factor has worn off quite a bit. It’s a bit sterile by LatAm standards- good for safety but bad for excitement. And the food is terrible- really bothering me lately. They can’t organize a meal with proper macros to save their life.

I did manage to get 2 year residency here and I think it would be a good place to bug out to if USA continues its decline. The countryside is quite nice and peaceful. And beautiful. So, I’ll keep renewing the 2 year visa. They just changed the rule so now you can renew as many times as you want indefinitely.

I’ll make it to Honduras one day. It’s the only place in LatAm I haven’t been to.

Parmesan

Kingfisher
Other Christian
In any case, why would one assume that South America is leftist? Right-wing governments are in power in Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay, Brasil, Ecuador, Colombia, I mean how many SA countries are left? Bolivia Peru and Argentina.
Latin America has a long history of flirting with leftist authoritarians, but you are correct, it’s more of an economic, nationalist leftism, than woke, SJW leftism.

Going strong

Crow
Trad Catholic
Gold Member
Latin America has a long history of flirting with leftist authoritarians, but you are correct, it’s more of an economic, nationalist leftism, than woke, SJW leftism.
Latin America also has a (longer) history of flirting with Right Wing authoritarians, mind you.

In any way, there's what a government preaches or feigns to be, and what it really is, and especially in South America, it's not the same. Take the example of Perú. A new Left Wing president, but, he's against gay stuff. Political lines are somewhat blurred, here.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Other Christian
Gold Member
"You can plan a pretty picnic but you can't predict the weatha" - George Washington 2003

Things change fast in the world of the nomadic expat. Also money talks down South, you meet the right people and get the right connections there aren't many import things you can't buy for cheap. Things that would come in handy in these wild times we are living in... without going into any more detail. Also I met a very highly recommend fella that helps everyone with immigration type issues. I am using him in December for a few small task and if he delivers I will take him up on his proposal that he can get me my residency for Panama next year. Once I have that I can get my Panamanian drivers license which will cure my biggest gripe about Panama thus far (only being able to drive 90 days of the 180 days you are allowed to be here.) I will be sticking around here another 4 months minimum. I have booked a guest house on a organic veggie farm for that long. If I am going through the residency process I imagine I will stay the rest of the year. Plenty of beaches and surfing to be had down here on top of the beautiful mountains I am currently living in. Next month I am selling my beloved WRX back in the states :( I think I will take some of that money and lift my SUV I bought here in Panama... then once I get my license I can really set out and explore the country (and surrounding countries) including literally getting "off the beaten path." I don't see a lot of reason to look elsewhere to "expat" to. Panama is more safe and stable than most other countries right now and I don't see that changing too much in the near future. That is the latest update in my expat saga.

Panama:
featt29.jpg

Mountaineer

Ostrich
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
I envy you uncle Cr33pin. ;) There are a handful of good reasons why the guy from Finca Bayano chose Panama. With a bit of luck you could enjoy this collapse in sun.

How is it down there regarding coof?

Cr33pin

Peacock
Other Christian
Gold Member
I'm curious how people take the hoax.
They are falling pretty hard for the scamdemic here. Still have a mask policy and are floating a bill that would make restaurants require vaccine cards to enter restaurants if they want to serve at full capacity or they can stay at 50% and not have to show the vaccine cards. Sadly Panama is not a safe haven from covid clown world. The vast majority of the expats here are all on the same page when it comes to the vaccine and covid (think its a scam and wont take the vaccine if their lives depended on it.)

LoveBug

Kingfisher
Catholic
"You can plan a pretty picnic but you can't predict the weatha" - George Washington 2003

Things change fast in the world of the nomadic expat. Also money talks down South, you meet the right people and get the right connections there aren't many import things you can't buy for cheap. Things that would come in handy in these wild times we are living in... without going into any more detail. Also I met a very highly recommend fella that helps everyone with immigration type issues. I am using him in December for a few small task and if he delivers I will take him up on his proposal that he can get me my residency for Panama next year. Once I have that I can get my Panamanian drivers license which will cure my biggest gripe about Panama thus far (only being able to drive 90 days of the 180 days you are allowed to be here.) I will be sticking around here another 4 months minimum. I have booked a guest house on a organic veggie farm for that long. If I am going through the residency process I imagine I will stay the rest of the year. Plenty of beaches and surfing to be had down here on top of the beautiful mountains I am currently living in. Next month I am selling my beloved WRX back in the states :( I think I will take some of that money and lift my SUV I bought here in Panama... then once I get my license I can really set out and explore the country (and surrounding countries) including literally getting "off the beaten path." I don't see a lot of reason to look elsewhere to "expat" to. Panama is more safe and stable than most other countries right now and I don't see that changing too much in the near future. That is the latest update in my expat saga.

Panama:
featt29.jpg

Respect. I think as different people we look for different things. I'm drawn more to the underworld, grimier societies where there isnt a gringo soul in sight. But I understand just wanting tranquility and safety and a semi developed world to raise a family.

JoeyB

Chicken
Catholic
They are falling pretty hard for the scamdemic here. Still have a mask policy and are floating a bill that would make restaurants require vaccine cards to enter restaurants if they want to serve at full capacity or they can stay at 50% and not have to show the vaccine cards. Sadly Panama is not a safe haven from covid clown world. The vast majority of the expats here are all on the same page when it comes to the vaccine and covid (think its a scam and wont take the vaccine if their lives depended on it.)
Out of curiosity, why Panama? Do you prefer Panama over Colombia? And yeah, most countries in Latin Ameica are falling pretty hard for it. I think two that will come out of this looking pretty free for the foreseeable future, baring any sort of massive worldwide pressure, are Brazil and Mexico (as long as Bolsonaro is president). I thought Colombia might be one of them, but they now require vaccine cards to enter restaurants. Some of my close friends in south brazil mentioned that a few states have implemented a law that blocks any sort of federal legal mandate to show proof of vaccine to enter establishments. Amazing if true, although I can't seem to verify for sure. Does anyone know anything about that?