2020 South American Expat Thread

brimby

Pigeon
Orthodox
Goodluck in Colombia. I was in Bogota 2 weeks ago and didn't enjoy it much. Masks everywhere, 50-60% of restaurants asking for vax cert, cinema asking for vax cert. South America seems completely under the spell (except maybe Brazil)

I assume you are vaxxed if you are trying to enter Colombia anyway as you can't without, so it may not be all that bad.

lonewolf1968

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Goodluck in Colombia. I was in Bogota 2 weeks ago and didn't enjoy it much. Masks everywhere, 50-60% of restaurants asking for vax cert, cinema asking for vax cert. South America seems completely under the spell (except maybe Brazil)

I assume you are vaxxed if you are trying to enter Colombia anyway as you can't without, so it may not be all that bad.
I'm getting prepared for the worst. Getting out of debt, cutting down expenses, saving money, searching for passive income solutions such as Crypto mining and overall telling my family I may become a homeless person or starve to death. The other day the health minster retweeted the Austrian measures jokingly foreshadowing what's to come. I may be wrong, we have gangs, crime, saturated prisons, low impact civil war going on but they are all into the globalist agenda. I'm even starting to think about learning how to fish so I can eat mojarra frita with white rice for the following years.

OnTheRun

Banned
Protestant
I dont know if its possible because the world seems intent of switching to Pfizer, but you may still be able to get China's sinoshot. If nothing else, its not an RNA needle. Quite a few Mexican friends got it and had 0 side effects.

Going strong

Crow
Trad Catholic
Gold Member
I dont know if its possible because the world seems intent of switching to Pfizer, but you may still be able to get China's sinoshot. If nothing else, its not an RNA needle. Quite a few Mexican friends got it and had 0 side effects.

Indeed, all of my friends in Argentina insisted on getting the Sinopharm vaccine, which is a classic non-RNA one, and had zero side effects. In Argentina we call it, the friendly Chinese vaccine, no-one gets sick from it.

I think it's Handsome Creepy Eel here, who also managed to get the Sinopharm (in Serbia?) and have it recognised in Croatia (or Austria?).
Anyway, half a dozen EU european countries, recognise the Sinopharm shots. It's a good option against RNAs.

brimby

Pigeon
Orthodox

Indeed, all of my friends in Argentina insisted on getting the Sinopharm vaccine, which is a classic non-RNA one, and had zero side effects. In Argentina we call it, the friendly Chinese vaccine, no-one gets sick from it.

I think it's Handsome Creepy Eel here, who also managed to get the Sinopharm (in Serbia?) and have it recognised in Croatia (or Austria?).
Anyway, half a dozen EU european countries, recognise the Sinopharm shots. It's a good option against RNAs.
I don't think anyone should be promoting any covid vax period.

Don Quixote

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
I'm thinking Europe is off the table now that the situation is ready to implode with Ukraine. I'm going to wait another week or two to see what happens. Never been to Latin America before. Any advice for someone who is not vaccinated, and first time traveler? Any "easier" destinations?

BLMeToo

Sparrow
Catholic

Very similar to my experience this December in Barranquilla.

Nomadiccat

Robin
Oriental Orthodox
I'm getting prepared for the worst. Getting out of debt, cutting down expenses, saving money, searching for passive income solutions such as Crypto mining and overall telling my family I may become a homeless person or starve to death. The other day the health minster retweeted the Austrian measures jokingly foreshadowing what's to come. I may be wrong, we have gangs, crime, saturated prisons, low impact civil war going on but they are all into the globalist agenda. I'm even starting to think about learning how to fish so I can eat mojarra frita with white rice for the following years.
Is this because of vax? Colombia being quite a corrupt country...can't the vax problem be easily solved using the right doctor?
There's massive illicit trade going on, cartels, there got to be plenty of understanding doctors wanting to make a buck without charging too much.

lonewolf1968

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Is this because of vax? Colombia being quite a corrupt country...can't the vax problem be easily solved using the right doctor?
There's massive illicit trade going on, cartels, there got to be plenty of understanding doctors wanting to make a buck without charging too much.
The State is in charge of the Vaccines. Vaccines are applied in public facilities with government officials and nurses in sight so it's difficult if not impossible to bribe them on spot. I don't have any contacts unfortunately. If things get worse I'll consider this again but I don't know where to ask.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
I’ve been in Bogota for a few days and haven’t been asked to show proof of vaccination anywhere including two hotels, a few restaurants, a mall, nightclub, etc. people are wearing masks on the street as they were last year but not as much, I’ve walked into a couple of places without mine on and nobody has said anything although I usually put it on out of respect for the locals, I don’t like to draw negative attention to myself as a foreigner. I’m flying out of Bogota tomorrow, a few days in the capital are enough for me, it’s too busy and I want to walk around in shorts and complain about the heat for awhile.

Nomadiccat

Robin
Oriental Orthodox
The State is in charge of the Vaccines. Vaccines are applied in public facilities with government officials and nurses in sight so it's difficult if not impossible to bribe them on spot. I don't have any contacts unfortunately. If things get worse I'll consider this again but I don't know where to ask.

Yes got to have contacts for this sort of thing, usually. But one can get those contacts...
May be I am misunderstanding Colombia situation and it's not as corrupt as media paints it.
Usually when it's really corrupt it's not hard to get to the mafia. And all (government, doctors) will be willing to participate, one just needs to find one entry point, no need to deal with them all on the spot. One leads to others.
Just need to find that one. If this is really that hard, sounds like Colombia isn't very corrupt.
Aren't there shady people to be found, like the ones that mess with drugs? They might be able to help.
Those small fish have to work under cartel, and cartels can do anything.
Also, one can enter into the database, as if all procedures were followed, but it takes just one person with access to make an entry.
Other than obvious shady ones, lawyers tend to have connections (those in small town), with those it'd normally be a matter of good amount of money.
In corrupt countries mafia usually is harder to avoid than to find them, they force their way into your life. And they are connected everyone in the local power and to the cops.
Looks like Colombia became law-abiding??

Last edited: