2020 South American Expat Thread

LoveBug

Kingfisher
Catholic
I'm in Tapachula, and will spend time throughout Chiapas. Tuxtla, Boca del Cielo etc.

I've been encouraged so far by the lack of masks I've seen. Of course that could just mean high vaccination rate for the region for all I know

Avoiding the backpacker haven that is San Cristobal las Casas and Chiapas is to me what true Mexico is all about. Good food/culture at affordable rates, still relatively untouched by the gringos

vstk

Robin
Catholic
Food in South America (brazilian, colombian, venezuelan) really is atrocious if you are trying to be healthy. I think they must have pretty good genes to live to 75-80yo by eating what they eat and drinking so many sweet drinks.

BLMeToo

Robin
Catholic
Totally agree, most people, including young ones got jabbed because in their own words: "they'll ask for that card everywhere". Not a single thought of suspicion, doubt in the government, narrative, media. I'm the only one in my job who didn't get the jab and thankfully still working.

It was explained to me that South Americans bought into the coof because the US and Europe did, and they want to emulate the west. Thoughts?

Also, what part of Colombia are you from?
Ps: yeah, even i can't understand costeño spanish some times, cheers
Yeah. I thought I spoke pretty decent Spanish for a gringo, until I went to BAQ. Costeños are not only hard to understand, but at least in BAQ, they don't get a lot of foreigners, so they don't really try to help me out our speak slower. I swear I understand Cubans better than Costeños.

Dilated

Woodpecker
Other Christian
It was explained to me that South Americans bought into the coof because the US and Europe did, and they want to emulate the west.
Nailed it. They literally don’t do their own research, have their own scientists, etc. I’ve been living in Ecuador for the last 2 years and it still shocks me how they literally have none of their own ideas on anything.

Even more strange is their near 100% mask obedience when if you talk to them, none of them trust the government.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Pelican
Catholic
Gold Member
Nailed it. They literally don’t do their own research, have their own scientists, etc. I’ve been living in Ecuador for the last 2 years and it still shocks me how they literally have none of their own ideas on anything.

Even more strange is their near 100% mask obedience when if you talk to them, none of them trust the government.

I get the sense that it isn't a political issue in Latam the way it is in the US/Europe...wearing or not wearing a mask isn't seen as a statement for or against TPTB, I think people simply weigh the hassle of wearing one vs how likely they think they are to be hassled if they don't wear one (and in some cases are actually concerned about the virus).

Speaking of Ecuador, I assume the doom and gloom stories coming out of there a year or so ago of entire villages getting wiped out by coovid, people burning bodies etc were BS?

Tippy

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Where would you recommend someone move in latam with the major considerations being affordable and ability to meet like minded expats/locals?

science

Banned
Other Christian
Where would you recommend someone move in latam with the major considerations being affordable and ability to meet like minded expats/locals?
the mountains outside of medellin colombia. I have setup a extensive network and preps over the past two years here. If I had to choose another spot in a worst case scenario I would perhaps choose rural Paraguay.

Tippy

Kingfisher
Other Christian
the mountains outside of medellin colombia. I have setup a extensive network and preps over the past two years here. If I had to choose another spot in a worst case scenario I would perhaps choose rural Paraguay.
How is this place for wife material? Also, is it OK crime wise?

science

Banned
Other Christian
How is this place for wife material? Also, is it OK crime wise?
wife material 10/10. crime is on the rise in cities. in the rural areas Here is OK but I know in other rural areas like south of cali is a problem with larger armed groups roaming. Personally I have been stacking arms and if things take a turn for the worse I would live in a group of 10-15 people for safety.

BLMeToo

Robin
Catholic
wife material 10/10. crime is on the rise in cities. in the rural areas Here is OK but I know in other rural areas like south of cali is a problem with larger armed groups roaming. Personally I have been stacking arms and if things take a turn for the worse I would live in a group of 10-15 people for safety.
How are the locals around Medellin? Are they Christian and based? Or do they just believe whatever the news tells them. Also, how is the Catholic Church there? Any decent, reverent masses or is it dancing+electric pianos?

science

Banned
Other Christian
How are the locals around Medellin? Are they Christian and based? Or do they just believe whatever the news tells them. Also, how is the Catholic Church there? Any decent, reverent masses or is it dancing+electric pianos?
There are many Christians in Medellin and a variety of churches. praising god is a regular part of every day expressions like that "im good thanks to god". or "if god wills it". The AVERAGE person is low IQ and gullible.

lonewolf1968

Kingfisher
Other Christian
It was explained to me that South Americans bought into the coof because the US and Europe did, and they want to emulate the west. Thoughts?
As Colombia is a developing multicultural country we don't know exactly who we are but we know for sure that we're not doing well. I learned the term in this forum, Colonial Mentality. ''Everything the U.S or Europe does must be a good idea so we should imitate them''. That includes politics, fashion, culture, etc. For instance, the Election debates are centered around whether printing lots of money is good or not because the US does it, or whether we can implement huge social welfare programs because the Nordic countries and Canada do it, or if we should stop Oil production immediately and switch to Solar because Europe is doing it. It's chaotic to be honest. Whenever people say they like 'Latin' or 'Colombian culture', I wonder which of them all.

Also, what part of Colombia are you from?

Proudly born in Paisa land. (medellin)
Yeah. I thought I spoke pretty decent Spanish for a gringo, until I went to BAQ. Costeños are not only hard to understand, but at least in BAQ, they don't get a lot of foreigners, so they don't really try to help me out our speak slower. I swear I understand Cubans better than Costeños.

Costeño Spanish is awful, I can't stand it, maybe only high-class Barranquillero accent is bearable, the rest of accents from the Coast reminds me of when I try to understand Ebonics in English.

lonewolf1968

Kingfisher
Other Christian
There are many Christians in Medellin and a variety of churches. praising god is a regular part of every day expressions like that "im good thanks to god". or "if god wills it". The AVERAGE person is low IQ and gullible.

The Paisa region is the most fervent Catholic region in Colombia, at least from Gen X behind. Millenials and Zoomers are mostly secular Catholic, Agnostics or Atheists. No dancing+electric pianos, but traditional mass, the preaching and priests that I interacted with when I studied in a Catholic school were generally poor, Roosh and this forum has sparked more interest in Christianism in me than the church here. As far as baseness, Antioquia is the last stronghold of the right and most people hold Anti-communist ideas about private property, self-defense, entrepernurial spirit and free market, but this is changing thanks to the autistic Zoomers. As Science claimed IQ is pretty low in the majority of of the people and they will believe what they hear on the news or whats app groups.