2020 South American Expat Thread

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
5F5BA4A5-165A-44FC-ADF4-C1DA9F21CBFF.png

Tippy

Kingfisher
Other Christian
I’m not sure I’d rate the local ladies of Medellin as 10/10 wife material, although outside of the city they do exist, preferably hours away, deep in the Antioquia mountains.

Are Colombian women generally interested in settling down with a Westerner? I have this image, perhaps stereotypical, of them being party animals etc...

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
Are Colombian women generally interested in settling down with a Westerner? I have this image, perhaps stereotypical, of them being party animals etc...
Sure some are and plenty do although I’d say they’re a minority, just like everywhere else in the world. They’re not Philippines level impressed by foreigners and the local dudes, especially wealthy ones (by wealthy I mean guys who make more than say $1500/month) have their pick, generally ahead of gringos.

There’s a strong party culture there but again, just like everywhere else, a guy can find a more introverted girl who prefers staying home with family, although that will often involve singing, dancing and drinking booze.

SensibleUlan

Sparrow
Trad Catholic
wife material 10/10. crime is on the rise in cities. in the rural areas Here is OK but I know in other rural areas like south of cali is a problem with larger armed groups roaming. Personally I have been stacking arms and if things take a turn for the worse I would live in a group of 10-15 people for safety.
Well done for getting settled in.
I thought that country was very pro-gun-control and gringos were sht out of luck owning those things?

science

Banned
Other Christian
Well done for getting settled in.
I thought that country was very pro-gun-control and gringos were sht out of luck owning those things?
Yes BUT..
- money buys you anything. period.
- you can jump through all the hoops and get yourself something legally from the military classified as a weapon of war. helps if you own a rural property.
- any one can buy something that shoots rubber bullets at 1400ft/s with one click online. I would imagine this would be sufficient for most self defense situations but if SHTF you can ask yourself what is the difference between a shotgun shell with a rubber slug and something less, less lethal.

NoMoreTO

Hummingbird
Catholic
Has anyone spent time in Guadaljara? I've been considering mexico as a destination for a bit now as it has certain advantages over colombia (distance, trade agreements, lax corona rules).

Guadalajara seems to be a very nice city and within reach of the coast. It also has a good tech sector.

Curious if anyone has any insights into the local culture, best neighbourhoods, region of Jalisco in general.

Tippy

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Sure some are and plenty do although I’d say they’re a minority, just like everywhere else in the world. They’re not Philippines level impressed by foreigners and the local dudes, especially wealthy ones (by wealthy I mean guys who make more than say $1500/month) have their pick, generally ahead of gringos.

There’s a strong party culture there but again, just like everywhere else, a guy can find a more introverted girl who prefers staying home with family, although that will often involve singing, dancing and drinking booze.

I see. What's the current mask situation there?

Tippy

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Not sure, I left about five weeks ago but they eased the rules a bit, no more masks in the streets. In smaller pueblos nobody cares so many didn’t wear them.

Cool. So what's your plan? Are you travelling around or hoping to settle somewhere?

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
Has anyone spent time in Guadaljara? I've been considering mexico as a destination for a bit now as it has certain advantages over colombia (distance, trade agreements, lax corona rules).

Guadalajara seems to be a very nice city and within reach of the coast. It also has a good tech sector.

Curious if anyone has any insights into the local culture, best neighbourhoods, region of Jalisco in general.
I’ve been a few times and it’s alright, the city is fairly spread out with wide streets, it’s fairly flat and the climate is pretty hot. The food is good, local ladies are some of the most attractive in the country and once they complete the new tunnel, the drive to Vallarta will be shortened from about four to two hours. It definitely doesn’t have the “wow” factor of Medellin but it’s a pleasant city.

Australia Sucks

Kingfisher
Other Christian
The Paisa region is the most fervent Catholic region in Colombia, at least from Gen X behind. Millenials and Zoomers are mostly secular Catholic, Agnostics or Atheists. No dancing+electric pianos, but traditional mass, the preaching and priests that I interacted with when I studied in a Catholic school were generally poor, Roosh and this forum has sparked more interest in Christianism in me than the church here. As far as baseness, Antioquia is the last stronghold of the right and most people hold Anti-communist ideas about private property, self-defense, entrepernurial spirit and free market, but this is changing thanks to the autistic Zoomers. As Science claimed IQ is pretty low in the majority of of the people and they will believe what they hear on the news or whats app groups.
LoneWolf I spent 6 weeks in Colombia in 2017, so obviously my understanding of the country is limited. I am not sure how you reconcile Medellin being fervently Catholic with the degeneracy and post narco culture going on.

I was only in Medellin for 3 days and I managed to get drugged, hustled by an underaged girl (these 2 events happened on 2 different nights and were unrelated) getting me to buy her alcohol (she lied about her age) and feigning interest in me then ghosting me. I did not have any kind of similar or equivalent expereinces in other cities of Colombia (perhaps I was just lucky?)

When I got drugged by a shifty dude I had taxis, the police and hospitals all trying to hustle me because they could see I was vulnerable.

I also saw more gold digger girls than in other cities, more attitude from women, more plastic/fake girls (this city probably has the most plastic surgery percentage-wise in the whole country).

I felt like the whole Pablo Escobar narco era although long passed left some kind of cultural stain on the social fabric and customs of Paisas. From my brief observation in Colombia it seemed to be the city were foreigners go to do drugs, party, and hook up with prostitutes and gold-diggers. In my brief experience Medellin was equaled only by Cartagena in terms of the frequency of gold-diggers.

Despite the fact that the city had a good train system and was reasonably clean (by LatinAmericanStandards) and had a pleasant mountain backdrop and good climate it seemed like a boring place (not much to do) filled with plastic gold-diggers. I found many other places such as Bogota, San Gil, Santa Rosa, etc to be much more to my liking than Medellin.

Although all of my opinions do not carry much weight because I was in the country for such a short-time not enough to have an informed opinion, so I would be interested to hear your thoughts as a well informed local. Is my view on things misinformed?

Where do you think the best places in Colombia are for foreign guys to live and also to meet quality women?

Last edited:

NoMoreTO

Hummingbird
Catholic
LoneWolf I spent 6 weeks in Colombia in 2017, so obviously my understanding of the country is limited. I am not sure how you reconcile Medellin being fervently Catholic with the degeneracy and post narco culture going on.

I was only in Medellin for 3 days and I managed to get drugged, hustled by an underaged girl (these 2 events happened on 2 different nights and were unrelated) getting me to buy her alcohol (she lied about her age) and feigning interest in me then ghosting me. I did not have any kind of similar or equivalent expereinces in other cities of Colombia (perhaps I was just lucky?)

When I got drugged by a shifty dude I had taxis, the police and hospitals all trying to hustle me because they could see I was vulnerable.

I also saw more gold digger girls than in other cities, more attitude from women, more plastic/fake girls (this city probably has the most plastic surgery percentage-wise in the whole country).

I felt like the whole Pablo Escobar narco era although long passed left some kind of cultural stain on the social fabric and customs of Paisas. From my brief observation in Colombia it seemed to be the city were foreigners go to do drugs, party, and hook up with prostitutes and gold-diggers. In my brief experience Medellin was equaled only by Cartagena in terms of the frequency of gold-diggers.

It sounds like you didn't really get out of the gringo touristy part of medellin. Parque Lleras and the like?

There is alot of shady stuff going on all over that city, and alot of prostitution, but also alot of good people living normal lives. I always loved medellin, I tried some other places but medellin is a great town and an easy fit. The Paisas are fantastic people, great manners, upbeat. When I was there the people would admit that it fucked them up living under that so long, they used to say it gave them a live it up view on life.

Plastic surgery can get out of control there. I'm not a fan of fake anything, but it's definitely a problem. It can be partially traced back to the narco girls of the old days. That and the beauty expectations.

lonewolf1968

Kingfisher
Other Christian

Although all of my opinions do not carry much weight because I was in the country for such a short-time not enough to have an informed opinion, so I would be interested to hear your thoughts as a well informed local. Is my view on things misinformed?

Where do you think the best places in Colombia are for foreign guys to live and also to meet quality women?

Hi man, it's unfortunate that you had this experience but I didn't mention Medellin in my post, I said ''Paisa Region'' as in Paisa culture which comprises 4 Colombian Departments, Numerous small towns, medium sized cities and over 9 million people in total. Medellin is a big city and as in big cities you have all the degeneracy, problems that comes with them. I also said Gen x behind are the ones who still practice Catholicism for the most part. Young people mostly don't go to church, and are prey of Globo-homo. I should have mentioned though that Catholicism permeates more the Culture than it does the Colombians moral system, as narcos, sicarios, and Pablo Escobar considered themselves very 'Catholic'. It's true that Paisas have remnants of the 'Narco culture' in some of its low-income people, but trust me the great majority of us just want to get over it. You're right that Medellin in general doesn't have much to do and Bogota wins hands down (if you have money). But quality of living for the average Colombian differs by a huge margin in these two cities.

Tough question, everything here is social-circle based so being part of a community, education program, church, is key to find a quality woman regardless of the city. Also Spanish is a must if you want to connect and create your own social circles. Depends on what you're looking for. I think is more about the method than about the place.

COtrailrider

Robin
Gnostic or New Age

I heard the state of Jalisco has vaxx passports. A recent podcast with a European guy in Guadalajara said they're enforcing it there - his wife goes shopping and what not because he's not allowed in. I was considering a visit until I heard that. I also found the articles below which discuss it but I can't find anything more recent. I did hear anecdotally a few weeks ago that PV (which is in Jalisco) is not enforcing anything.

vstk

Robin
Catholic
Despite the fact that the city had a good train system and was reasonably clean (by LatinAmericanStandards) and had a pleasant mountain backdrop and good climate it seemed like a boring place (not much to do) filled with plastic gold-diggers. I found many other places such as Bogota, San Gil, Santa Rosa, etc to be much more to my liking than Medellin.
I have not spent a very long time in Colombia either but I share the same opinion. I can't stand silicone enhanced gold diggers. So I much prefer women in Bogotá. I find the weather to be acceptable and prices are not much higher than in Medellin.
But one really has to choose his neighbourhood carefully in Bogotá. Some places are dark... Medellin is not safe but Bogotá feels even worse. Some places I feel like I could get myself stabbed over 10 000 pesos.

BLMeToo

Robin
Catholic
The Paisa region is the most fervent Catholic region in Colombia, at least from Gen X behind. Millenials and Zoomers are mostly secular Catholic, Agnostics or Atheists. No dancing+electric pianos, but traditional mass, the preaching and priests that I interacted with when I studied in a Catholic school were generally poor, Roosh and this forum has sparked more interest in Christianism in me than the church here. As far as baseness, Antioquia is the last stronghold of the right and most people hold Anti-communist ideas about private property, self-defense, entrepernurial spirit and free market, but this is changing thanks to the autistic Zoomers. As Science claimed IQ is pretty low in the majority of of the people and they will believe what they hear on the news or whats app groups.

How do you think Antioquia compares to Atlantico or Cordoba, as far as Arabes? I'm of Iraqi descent, I've noticed in BAQ that there were a lot of Arab-descent people, and the Arab food was surprisingly good. Is there a decent community in Antioquia, or is it mostly people with Spaniard roots?

Also, thank you for answering our questions and being so thorough about it.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
How do you think Antioquia compares to Atlantico or Cordoba, as far as Arabes? I'm of Iraqi descent, I've noticed in BAQ that there were a lot of Arab-descent people, and the Arab food was surprisingly good. Is there a decent community in Antioquia, or is it mostly people with Spaniard roots?

Also, thank you for answering our questions and being so thorough about it.
The Arab community is more noticeable in Barranquilla than anywhere else in Colombia although you won’t see them much on the streets outside of their gated communities. I’ve seen women in hijabs at Viva mall but rarely on the streets, they’re an insular, wealthy community that seems to stick to themselves. I’ve never seen an obvious Arabs in any other cities, including Medellin.