2020 South American Expat Thread

NoMoreTO

Hummingbird
Catholic
So many have forgotten what Roosh suggested. You won't find happiness abroad. I'm speaking from experience as my wife is from Medellin. Stop wife hunting and start God hunting.

Are you two living in Medellin or back in the US?

Mountaineer

Banned
Orthodox Catechumen
Gold Member
So many have forgotten what Roosh suggested. You won't find happiness abroad. I'm speaking from experience as my wife is from Medellin. Stop wife hunting and start God hunting.
It's not about happiness. It's placing yourself in a strategically advantageous place where you can feed yourself year round and be a part of vigilant community.

Blade Runner

Hummingbird
Orthodox
It's not about happiness. It's placing yourself in a strategically advantageous place where you can feed yourself year round and be a part of vigilant community.
It's good advice but it does miss the mark on all of the conclusions of "this world". I'm a very content person (for now who knows that might change soon), I'm telling you this very seriously, but that doesn't mean I'm fulfilled. And in that fulfillment might be greater annoyances (wife and children) that would also be part of the greater reason for fulfilling parts of life that are appropriate for the human being.

One thing that I've found has come up recently that I agree with is that as you age you really do see the world for so much of the stupidity that it is, especially in the west with so many material comforts, but just horrible situations for families and as a man, connections with women in general. People think (of course they do, stupid western/bad culture) that being attracted to younger women is something it really isn't - it's far more about not being around a materialist/time sink/demander. Of course you can get that with young women, but the most bizarre paradox of western women is that so few are humbled by age and their rapidly diminishing stock.

vstk

Robin
Catholic
that being attracted to younger women is something it really isn't - it's far more about not being around a materialist/time sink/demander. Of course you can get that with young women, but the most bizarre paradox of western women is that so few are humbled by age and their rapidly diminishing stock
To me, the biggest appeal of being with a much younger woman is that I find it much easier to love her without any reservation. I can forgive everything (almost) to a 20 year old.
Just like it is easier to be patient, kind and forgiving with children than with someone who has had plenty of time to learn from experience.

Mountaineer

Banned
Orthodox Catechumen
Gold Member
To me, the biggest appeal of being with a much younger woman is that I find it much easier to love her without any reservation. I can forgive everything (almost) to a 20 year old.
Just like it is easier to be patient, kind and forgiving with children than with someone who has had plenty of time to learn from experience.
Well said. I have very little patience for a person who has lived for many years but failed to learn life's lessons. It irritates me to no bounds.

LoveBug

Kingfisher
Catholic

Or strategically placing yourself where you still might find a young/fertile companion (which is arguably a natural desire of man).

I spend about half the year in the US and half in the developing world (mostly Latin America, but Africa/Asia too). These many weeks getting attention from young women in Xela or Tapachula or getting ignored in the US (I'm a younger looking early-mid 40s).

I don't do online dating at all, so I can only go by attention on the ground

CSH2C

Sparrow
Protestant
I recommend to stay away from CO awhile. With the elections, the extradition of the leader of El clan del golfo, paramilitares making threats to any travelers in Antioquia....now the mayor of Medellín has been suspended. Colombia is a powder keg. Wait a few months at least.

SensibleUlan

Pigeon
Trad Catholic
Or strategically placing yourself where you still might find a young/fertile companion (which is arguably a natural desire of man).

I spend about half the year in the US and half in the developing world (mostly Latin America, but Africa/Asia too). These many weeks getting attention from young women in Xela or Tapachula or getting ignored in the US (I'm a younger looking early-mid 40s).

I don't do online dating at all, so I can only go by attention on the ground
You speak the lingo pretty well? Or do you carry a book or translator app with you?

Blade Runner

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I recommend to stay away from CO awhile. With the elections, the extradition of the leader of El clan del golfo, paramilitares making threats to any travelers in Antioquia....now the mayor of Medellín has been suspended. Colombia is a powder keg. Wait a few months at least.
Good to know, thanks.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
I wouldn’t hesitate to fly to Bogota or Medellin tomorrow but would probably opt to fly between cities and avoid long bus rides for now. I haven’t been following the election much but last I heard it looked like Petro is on track to win, so the folks who are most likely to riot and cause street level violence will probably be celebrating his election. The “Gente de Bien” likely won’t trash their communities and the upper class Gomelos will probably be making moves to transfer their wealth abroad, many may even leave the country themselves.

Again, I haven’t followed the election much and my knowledge of the country’s history and politics is limited but I spent a few minutes skimming the Pacto’s election platform and one of the key promises is to stop all oil and gas exploration and exports to move into green tech. This is especially retarded given that wealthy jurisdictions that have attempted this have had disastrous results as we’ve seen in Germany, California, Ontario where end user’s utility fees to keep the lights on have skyrocketed.

The last thing Colombians need is increased utility costs, especially during the post-Covid economic recovery period. Plus oil is over $100/barrel and the US is looking for suppliers to replace imports from Russia. Petro really is an economic idiot, most commies are I suppose.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
I sometimes take night buses between Bogota and Medellin and Medellin to Cali, just show up at 8-9pm, buy a ticket, take a sleeping pill then arrive in the early morning and go directly to the new hotel. This saves quite a bit of money since the bus tickets are cheaper (60-80.000) compared to flights (200.000-300.000) and the bus arrives in the city where a taxi to the hotel is usually in the 10-15.000 range whereas a taxi from the Rionegro airport is 90.000, Cali airport is 50.000. Also since you sleep on the bus you save on a night at a hotel but you’ll have to stash your luggage and find something to do between check out time and going to the bus terminal at night.

I don’t do this much anymore because my back sometimes aches after these long trips but for guys on a budget, buses are a good option if you want to explore more of the country.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Other Christian
Gold Member
Those 10+ hours bus rides with music straight from hell are best avoided anyway.
I took a 78 hour bus from Lima Peru to Cali Colombia one time
200.gif

LoveBug

Kingfisher
Catholic
I don't even mind the night bus rides. Just like the plane, when your seasoned traveler, you can get to sleep, even in sitting position, at night

Brother Abdul Majeed

Kingfisher
Catholic
Gold Member
Does anybody who follows this thread know how to make videos that can only be seen by a limited audience? I wouldn't mind making a few short videos about life as an established gringo expat in Latin America, however, I would only like it to be seen on here by members who I can trust (ie. a certain post count over a certain period of time)? I'm not doing anything wrong or illegal, I am just very particular about limiting my exposure to the world in general and I am not interested in clicks. I will be recognized right away by anyone familiar with me by the content of the videos, so I'd prefer to limit the exposure. Who knows what will be best in 5 years, but discretion will always be the best part of valour. However, I do think that if 20 or 30 guys watch the videos they might be entertained by them, and it might spark some genuine curiosity about life in Latin America.