2020 South American Expat Thread

lonewolf1968

Kingfisher
Other Christian
What has been Petro's stance on COVID and the coof? I'm assuming far-left. Is it still worth buying land and homesteading in Colombia?
He said he agreed with mandatory vax and also demanded the government at the time to push for more lockdowns while printing billions of pesos to support the people living expenses. Colombia is huge though, there are really far and remote areas where one could escape the government reach as long as one gets along with communist guerrillas who do the drug dealing. As far as buying land, well this guy will also push for a land reform to distribute wealth and create small communal farming given for free to peasants. I don't know much about the topic but sounds like communism to me.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Other Christian
Gold Member
What's the word on Nicaragua? I am pondering driving up to check out San Juan Del Sur in the next few months. Panama is great and all but pricey, specially where I am staying now. Once the dollar collapses next year I may need a cheaper place to hold up.... if the world doesn't go all to shit when that happens. If that's the case I feel like Panama is definitely the safer option.

SJDS%20basics%20animation.gif

BLMeToo

Robin
Catholic
He said he agreed with mandatory vax and also demanded the government at the time to push for more lockdowns while printing billions of pesos to support the people living expenses. Colombia is huge though, there are really far and remote areas where one could escape the government reach as long as one gets along with communist guerrillas who do the drug dealing. As far as buying land, well this guy will also push for a land reform to distribute wealth and create small communal farming given for free to peasants. I don't know much about the topic but sounds like communism to me.
Which departments? I've heard Santander, Antioquia, and Cordoba are the most based.

lonewolf1968

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Which departments? I've heard Santander, Antioquia, and Cordoba are the most based.
I mean remote remote remote areas, like Cauca, North Santander and near the Amazon, The Colombian government doesn't reach those areas. Antioquia and Santander are the most based and traditional at least in rural areas, these are big enough to find some land I believe, but the farthest the most dangerous. I want to settle down in my beloved Antioquia one day but I hope this Petro guy doesn't break this country more than already is.

Brother Abdul Majeed

Kingfisher
Catholic
Gold Member
What's the word on Nicaragua? I am pondering driving up to check out San Juan Del Sur in the next few months. Panama is great and all but pricey, specially where I am staying now. Once the dollar collapses next year I may need a cheaper place to hold up.... if the world doesn't go all to shit when that happens. If that's the case I feel like Panama is definitely the safer option.

SJDS%20basics%20animation.gif
San Juan del Sur is a great little spot. All the kids that eventually make it to Bocas have been through there. It's part of the Central American surfer trail. All the kids work their way through there.
However, what might seem cheaper at this moment might become a nightmare later. Just ask me about my friend who owned the most successful bar in Caracas that catered to all the engineers from abroad, he was left with nothing when the government took it away from him.
There's a big difference between moving through places (where the guy that does your AirBnB has to pay the bills and now it's on you) and actually being responsible for getting things done.

Australia Sucks

Kingfisher
Other Christian
I've been in MX a few months now and wanted to offer some insight. I'm a resident here and have been exploring various areas for suitability - whether as a a long-term place to live or more as part of a flag theory strategy.
  • I've been in smaller pueblas, mid-size cities, and the capital
  • The health secretary recently scrapped their traffic light system for monitoring the cerveza sickness. Masks not required in CDMX at least.
  • Most people still wear their masks indoors, even though many businesses no longer have the signs outside. Hand sanitizer is still found at the entrances of many businesses. Some private businesses are still enforcing the mask.
  • Many still wear masks outside on the street. This could partially be because of air pollution, but many have surgical or cloth masks which do nothing in this regard.
  • Many tourists wear the mask indoors as well - why visit if you're just going to remain muzzled in a new country?
  • Most people in the gym still wear masks too. This is the most appalling to me. My jiu jitsu gym has a more relaxed approach to this thankfully - I'd say 75% are maskless while training.
  • The people are generally better referred to as sheeple. Order followers, no backbone. For such a 'macho' country I see a bunch of weak-ass men.
  • Feminism has clearly crept into even the mid-sized cities. The women are still vastly better than the West, but this is a bit disheartening still. I've talked to some girls here about what they want and many want families though. Best bet will be in smaller areas and/or indigenous areas but good luck being accepted there as a Westerner. Still much better options in general here though - many more women that aren't obese, can cook, have long hair, dress feminine (I rarely see yoga pants outside, except on fat Western women). Many locals are close with their families as well - this is really important to me. They talk to their family members every day.
  • Cost of living is fantastic despite some higher prices as of late. If one doesn't eat out much it can be a very inexpensive place to live. Even $1,000-1,200 a month for a single guy in a mid-tier city I'd estimate.
All in all, I still see myself spending part of the year here. How much though I'm not sure - I'll need to see how the world unfolds in upcoming years.

Supply chains are much simpler here and there lots of food production, as well as good land with water sources. Many freedom-minded people have also been coming down here to build communities. I'm not trying to live on some off-grid hippy commune though - even if they're capitalists (not the commie types). But if one knows Spanish and has some community it can be a great place to be.
I am thinking of going to Mexico soon and living there for 6 months to study a bit of Spanish.
Any recommendations on a good coastal city/town with nice beaches that is big enough to have proper language institutes?

NY Digital

Pelican
Catholic
Gold Member
I am thinking of going to Mexico soon and living there for 6 months to study a bit of Spanish.
Any recommendations on a good coastal city/town with nice beaches that is big enough to have proper language institutes?

Check out Oaxaca, I heard it's nice. But do your research, I don't know enough about it, but have friends from there.

JoeyB

Chicken
Catholic
Are there any Brazil experts in this thread? I used to live there about 10 years ago, and have yearned for the opportunity to go back. I'm a bit out of the loop nowadays. Of course, COVID hit right when I started getting my shit together to be able to move there. Now that they demand a vaccine to enter, I have to wait. Does anyone have any clue or indication if they might roll back restrictions soon? It's a bit odd that Bolsonaro is so against this stuff, but there is still a rule in place mandating a vaccine to enter. It seems like they are dragging their feet to end these restrictions just in spite of him, which has me worried this might take until after the next election to resolve itself. What the hell is going on over there?

JoeyB

Chicken
Catholic
That's a tough one. I had a tricky time finding coastal towns in Mexico that were nice, but also not total tourist traps. Beach towns in Oaxaca are cool, but aside from Puerto Escondido (which is small and quite touristy), the other towns are very remote. If you'd prefer a place that is nice without totally feeling unplugged from civilization, I think Merida is an OK option. It's not really a coastal town, but it is very close to the beach, and very easy to get to the closest beach town by bus (Progresso around 25-30 minutes). Beaches in the Yucatan are underrated and underappreciated IMO; probably because of their proximity to the tourist meccas of Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, and Tulum. Maybe there are a few other gems on the pacific side? Acapulco? Ensenada Baja California? The only cons I can think of with Merida are a.) the Spanish dialect there is goofy as hell, and b.) it's definitely not a bachelor's city: a bit too quiet and uneventful at times, and the local women are a bit homely and sheltered.

Last edited:

antonius_03

Chicken
Orthodox
Thinking about going back to South America, but considering that A) It's hard to own a firearm there legally, B) I will always have to look over my shoulder due to crime, C) Will mostly deal with some-sort of stupid corruption/bureaucratic nonesense at some point, D) Political instability is almost guarenteed going forward as the West unravels, I'm on the fence about it. For those of you in the US, what reasons do you believe still make SA a better alternative to the US regardless of these issues I've pointed out?

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
I mean remote remote remote areas, like Cauca, North Santander and near the Amazon, The Colombian government doesn't reach those areas. Antioquia and Santander are the most based and traditional at least in rural areas, these are big enough to find some land I believe, but the farthest the most dangerous. I want to settle down in my beloved Antioquia one day but I hope this Petro guy doesn't break this country more than already is.
Cauca is messed up, an acquaintance of mine was kidnapped and murdered there, near Corrinto, a pueblo I visited with her a few years ago. I took a boat from Buenaventura to Guapí, Cauca a few months ago, stayed a couple of nights before taking a lancha to Isla Gorgona (epic dive spot). Guapí has lots of FARC, literally there were FARC tags all over the place, including on my hotel, which I didn’t stray too far from.

Santander is cool though, Bucaramanga is a very nice city and Barichara/San Gil are cool little pueblos.

I took these photos myself, they were everywhere, as were soldiers and peace process workers. I still had fun though but I tend like sketchy spots.

Attachments

• 91B2A139-0754-440B-80F1-0E118FD99775.jpeg
    91B2A139-0754-440B-80F1-0E118FD99775.jpeg
    830.6 KB · Views: 18
  • AA017475-5411-4BD7-A12D-58C6D96C718F.jpeg
    AA017475-5411-4BD7-A12D-58C6D96C718F.jpeg
    930 KB · Views: 18
  • 71F832E9-50F3-42A6-A4DB-D82912174BA4.jpeg
    71F832E9-50F3-42A6-A4DB-D82912174BA4.jpeg
    950.4 KB · Views: 18

Blade Runner

Hummingbird
Orthodox
For those of you in the US, what reasons do you believe still make SA a better alternative to the US regardless of these issues I've pointed out?
The only draw, being really honest, is younger and better looking/feminine women, and less cultural rot regarding marxism/identity. Weather is only a draw if it is safe, so that's always a double edge sword. Certain races or types of people aren't in general trying to go to cold weather, obviously.