2020 South American Expat Thread

COtrailrider

Robin
Gnostic or New Age
Human beings need to walk outdoors on a daily basis in order not to fall apart.
It is not optional.

I would say a better advice would be to choose your neighborhood very carefully. Some of them have security 24/7 at every corner. As a foreigner you should be able to afford that.
Interesting response. There are gyms all around the world which, in reality, do much better for longevity than just walking. Not sure where you read that daily walks are a requirement for survival either - how do those handicapped in wheelchairs survive? Many Americans live off of fast food and Netflix with zero walks and still live into their 70s. I digress...

Since you took my point quite literally, the more specific point is walking alone - whether in the US or other areas - has inherent risks. Could be a mountain lion in the woods or a criminal in the streets. The key is being smart, as I mentioned. I'd rather pay 100 pesos for a ride than risk a mugging but really depends on the area, time of day, etc.

I agree with your point about the neighborhood. However even in Condesa/CDMX, one of the pricier areas in CDMX, I'd hear about police harassing gringos and other crime too. 24/7 security is helpful after the fact, but not during the mugging - CDMX has security cameras on many streets yet the crime rate is high and the police are corrupted to the core. I'm a huge walker but a DiDi is often just less hassle. I can 'not fall apart' in the gym or taking a group hike to a nearby national park.

vstk

Robin
Catholic
Interesting response. There are gyms all around the world which, in reality, do much better for longevity than just walking. Not sure where you read that daily walks are a requirement for survival either - how do those handicapped in wheelchairs survive? Many Americans live off of fast food and Netflix with zero walks and still live into their 70s. I digress...

Since you took my point quite literally, the more specific point is walking alone - whether in the US or other areas - has inherent risks. Could be a mountain lion in the woods or a criminal in the streets. The key is being smart, as I mentioned. I'd rather pay 100 pesos for a ride than risk a mugging but really depends on the area, time of day, etc.

I agree with your point about the neighborhood. However even in Condesa/CDMX, one of the pricier areas in CDMX, I'd hear about police harassing gringos and other crime too. 24/7 security is helpful after the fact, but not during the mugging - CDMX has security cameras on many streets yet the crime rate is high and the police are corrupted to the core. I'm a huge walker but a DiDi is often just less hassle. I can 'not fall apart' in the gym or taking a group hike to a nearby national park.
I said fall apart, not die. Most people fall apart decades before they're dead.
A gym is no replacement for time spent wandering outdoors under natural sunlight.

I agree that taking a Didi is a better option than walking alone at night in a sketchy neighborhood. However, for everyday life, you should simply find a neighborhood that is safe enough to walk on your own. They exist. I know I found some.

Stepping into a taxi every time you open your front door is no way to live your life.

SensibleUlan

Sparrow
Trad Catholic
Yep, in Queretaro too. I befriended a café owner there that was well-traveled and higher IQ than most Mexicans I met and he was lamenting about some of the feminism creeping in. I just happened to be in the country for the women's march in March or April and it was sad to see how many turned out, and also how much graffiti was on buildings afterwards.

The indigenous comment is spot-on. If they don't speak any English that's a red flag too and coincides with more indigenous populations. I prefer the fair-skinned ones - some even have blue/light eyes if they're from the north. Plus if they speak English they can help you learn Spanish!

But on the whole it's night and day better compared to the US, still. Even small town America frequently has the blue-haired land whales covered in tattoos that guys need to contend with.
Yep, even remote small-town america is a shocking disappointment. Unless you like corn-fed sized hefer / liberal women, it's a desert these days and has been for the past 10 years+.

SensibleUlan

Sparrow
Trad Catholic
Actually one of my buddies from the forum just shared a story of his friends in Singapore that were out drinking at a restaurant late and getting pretty drunk and apparently there was a gang at a table near them and one guy came over to their table and told them to "shut the f up".... they just thought it was weird and got their check and when they exited to the lobby they got the absolute crap beat out of them by the guys from the restaurant, one guy is in a coma. This was a few weeks ago....
Was this gang local Singaporean or Russian etc?

TCOCBR18

Sparrow
Orthodox
I haven't gotten to really know very many small-town middle American girls, since my experience is more medium-sized cities and suburbs. However, the handful I have known, they were even more progressive than average. It seemed like they felt some sort of need to compensate for the perceived backwardness of their origins. You'd be surprised, but some of the most serious stereotypical progressives I have known were from small towns in the Midwest.
Also, vstk's point that most people fall apart decades before they die, that really resonated to me. I hope it's not most people, but it is most definitely a whole lot of people. My task is to avoid that for myself.

COtrailrider

Robin
Gnostic or New Age
Yep, even remote small-town america is a shocking disappointment. Unless you like corn-fed sized hefer / liberal women, it's a desert these days and has been for the past 10 years+.
Women in small town America come down to a few variations, in general:
  • The good ones with traditional family values get snatched up quick, say early 20s. They pop out a few kids in their 20s and are involved in raising the kids.
  • Many go for the Sex and the City experience. Often times this starts for college and they go to a major metro far away from family. They might come back, but rarely do. If they do come back they've been brainwashed by the lifestyle they caught a glimpse of, the temptations of the urban dweller.
  • The others that are still there are aged, divorced, and come with a few kids as part of the 'package deal'
Feminism is evident in these pockets as well. Blame social media or the universities it doesn't change the reality. I'm shocked how many have full sleeves of tattoos as well. I've also met and worked with some real southern sweethearts but again they were locked down at an early age.

I've traveled a lot of the US, the western half in particular. I've been to many small towns and capitals alike. Not saying I'm 100% correct but these are just my observations.

magaman

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
Women in small town America come down to a few variations, in general:
  • The good ones with traditional family values get snatched up quick, say early 20s. They pop out a few kids in their 20s and are involved in raising the kids.
  • Many go for the Sex and the City experience. Often times this starts for college and they go to a major metro far away from family. They might come back, but rarely do. If they do come back they've been brainwashed by the lifestyle they caught a glimpse of, the temptations of the urban dweller.
  • The others that are still there are aged, divorced, and come with a few kids as part of the 'package deal'
Feminism is evident in these pockets as well. Blame social media or the universities it doesn't change the reality. I'm shocked how many have full sleeves of tattoos as well. I've also met and worked with some real southern sweethearts but again they were locked down at an early age.

I've traveled a lot of the US, the western half in particular. I've been to many small towns and capitals alike. Not saying I'm 100% correct but these are just my observations.
It's definitely true of where I'm from here in the south as well. I say you your assessment (with of course some women that are exceptions out there) is spot on because that's exactly what I've seen unfold before my very eyes.

Острог

Chicken
Orthodox
In a decade overseas that's the only violence I saw. Again I'm not saying it doesn't happen or can't happen this is just my personal experience in the last 10 years overseas.
Isn't that because you stay away from potentially shady situations? It's not a bad idea to avoid most of the nightlife, bars, etc. Not being at a wrong place in a wrong time in the first place...

TCOCBR18

Sparrow
Orthodox
Looking around the forum, I've noticed that there exists an Asian expat thread too, with very little content and that no one has posted on in over a year. Meanwhile, the South American thread is alive and well. Why is South America so much more popular than Asia? Now I don't have any statistics on US expats in Asia vs. South America or any other part of the world, but looking at this forum, it seems South America is the most common choice.

COtrailrider

Robin
Gnostic or New Age
Looking around the forum, I've noticed that there exists an Asian expat thread too, with very little content and that no one has posted on in over a year. Meanwhile, the South American thread is alive and well. Why is South America so much more popular than Asia? Now I don't have any statistics on US expats in Asia vs. South America or any other part of the world, but looking at this forum, it seems South America is the most common choice.
Assuming you're referring to east/southeast Asia, I think there are several reasons:
  • Asian languages are tough. The main ones are tonal which adds layers of complexity. The way things are going if you're going to live there you better learn Mandarin.
  • Furthermore, we can't underestimate the destructiveness, influence, and control the CCP has and will continue to wield over the region - Eurasia more broadly as well but in particular their immediate neighbors.
  • It's really far away from the US where I imagine large parts of this forum are based/have familial ties.
    • Relatedly, time zones for those that need to work US-based hours are brutal
  • Hinduism and Buddhism are the major religions
I still think in the medium- to long-term that the Cambodias and Vietnams have prospects, depending on what one wants - whether that's relationships, business opportunities, real estate, whatever. Growing middle-class and exports make Vietnam in particular a viable alternative to China.

Last edited:

TCOCBR18

Sparrow
Orthodox
Yeah, the fact that Christianity's presence in East Asia is so limited would be an enormous deterrent factor for me. In fact, South America being a more traditionally Christian society is one of the main reasons why I would consider them over the US. If one is looking for an improvement over US secularism, East Asia would make no sense. In addition to secularism, I visited Japan a few years back and I thought their consumerism made Americans almost look like monastics. In terms of materialism, secularism, consumption, family formation, East Asia is years ahead of America, while South America is still years behind (even if it might be catching up).

TCOCBR18

Sparrow
Orthodox
I understand South Korea has a fairly high percentage of Protestants, which is of course better than irreligion, but still that more or less just puts them in the same category as Western Europe, but with a vastly worse work culture and with an even lower birth rate. Meanwhile other East Asian countries' Christian percentages are very low.

Australia Sucks

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Among 18-25 year olds in urban Colombia, if we are talking about girls looking to have a Christian marriage, they are definitely a rather small minority, in my (recent) experience.
Lots of unplanned pregnancies outside of the wedlock though.
I will preface my response by saying I only spent 6 weeks in Colombia in 2017 so I am not sure how valid my opinion is.
But while I felt that in the major cities in Colombia the majority of girls in the 18 - 25 age range were in no hurry to get married it was still easy enough with a bit of legwork and effort to find a woman in the 18 - 21 age range who wanted to get married soon.
In the Anglosphere these girls are virtually non-exist whereas even living in the capital Bogota you could easily find a girl like that in 2 or 3 months if that was your goal.

Also women in Colombia seemed a lot more practical about these types of things than women living in the Anglosphere.
Most Colombian women aged 18 - 25 might not be looking for marriage per se but they would probably say yes if the right guy proposed because they are realistic and know when they are unlikely to get a better deal in the future and will thus take it.

Basically if you are a guy who has his shit together (has a decent amount of money and is a good dude who treats her well) speaks basic Spanish and is average looking it will be comparatively a breeze (a few months of leg work) to find an attractive young virgin to marry in any city in Colombia. Now whether the girl cheats on you later on or divorces you, fails to ct piously, etc that is a whole other matter.

Others such as Creepin and Scotian will probably have a better idea than me though seeing as they have spent more time in Colombia than I have.

Last edited:

TCOCBR18

Sparrow
Orthodox
It sounds like the girls in Colombia are still human, miraculously.
In America, traditional parishes are a place to try to look for human girls but my problem is simply that young Orthodox-practicing girls barely seem to exist in Middle America; each parish has maybe just a couple who are often already taken.

TCOCBR18

Sparrow
Orthodox
Another question:
In America, we have a very strong "college culture". People will often wear t-shirts, sweatshirts, hats from their former college, they'll go to their college football and basketball games, they'll be buying memorabilia of their college and making donations years and decades after they graduate. For many Americans, their college is part of their identity.
Does Latin America have anything even slightly like this?

vstk

Robin
Catholic
I will preface my response by saying I only spent 6 weeks in Colombia in 2017 so I am not sure how valid my opinion is.
But while I felt that in the major cities in Colombia the majority of girls in the 18 - 25 age range were in no hurry to get married it was still easy enough with a bit of legwork and effort to find a woman in the 18 - 21 age range who wanted to get married soon.
In the Anglosphere these girls are virtually non-exist whereas even living in the capital Bogota you could easily find a girl like that in 2 or 3 months if that was your goal.

Also women in Colombia seemed a lot more practical about these types of things than women living in the Anglosphere.
Most Colombian women aged 18 - 25 might not be looking for marriage per se but they would probably say yes if the right guy proposed because they are realistic and know when they are unlikely to get a better deal in the future and will thus take it.

Basically if you are a guy who has his shit together (has a decent amount of money and is a good dude who treats her well) speaks basic Spanish and is average looking it will be comparatively a breeze (a few months of leg work) to find an attractive young virgin to marry in any city in Colombia. Now whether the girl cheats on you later on or divorces you, fails to ct piously, etc that is a whole other matter.

Others such as Creepin and Scotian will probably have a better idea than me though seeing as they have spent more time in Colombia than I have.
I've been in Bogotá for longer than that. I agree that it is very easy to meet women as a European guy who has a decent amount of money. However it is definitely not easy to find a good, young Christian girl who wants to get married early and have a family.

I think you are pointing out that one can find a girl for a secular marriage much easier than in the US / western europe. I agree with that. But frankly I don't think anyone on this forum wants to marry a girl who's showing her butt on Instagram. That is quite standard here, even for self proclaimed Christians.

Also, let's keep in mind that max 20% of adults 18-50 are married in Colombia. And 85% of children are born to unmarried mothers.

I don't mean to sound overly negative or pessimistic. Things are better here overall. But definitely not *great*.

Last edited:

square_it

Pigeon
Protestant
Also, let's keep in mind that max 20% of adults 18-50 are married in Colombia. And 85% of children are born to unmarried mothers.

I don't mean to sound overly negative or pessimistic. Things are better here overall. But definitely not *great*.
Would you say Mexico or elsewhere in Latam is much better than Colombia?

square_it

Pigeon
Protestant

Personally Asian culture is too different for me, especially East Asian. I feel many women would be willing to convert to Christianity for their husband, but the mindset they grew up with would be hard to change. They can get too obsessed with hierarchy and face, and can be very passive aggressive. I don't have hard statistics, but from what I've seen many US-Asian marriages ended up in divorce.

Last edited: