2020 South American Expat Thread

LoveBug

Kingfisher
Catholic
What exactly are you looking for? Better is relative, amigo.

True. IMO your gringo factor is less there, even in regions without tourism like areas of Chiapas, which comes into play if your wife hunting. A notch below other countries of the region and a couple notches below what it is in Honduras in my experience. The girls aren't the primary reason I spend time in Mexico, as comparatively mating market value there seems less personally speaking. I've spent time in a lot of Central/South America, and there is just something about the culture of Honduras that particularly lends itself to being easier with girls as a white foreigner from my vantage. And the girls are well built relatively there (here, as I'm in La Ceiba now), in size/stature.

Each country has its own unique set of circumstances.

COtrailrider

Robin
Gnostic or New Age
True. IMO your gringo factor is less there, even in regions without tourism like areas of Chiapas, which comes into play if your wife hunting. A notch below other countries of the region and a couple notches below what it is in Honduras in my experience. The girls aren't the primary reason I spend time in Mexico, as comparatively mating market value there seems less personally speaking. I've spent time in a lot of Central/South America, and there is just something about the culture of Honduras that particularly lends itself to being easier with girls as a white foreigner from my vantage. And the girls are well built relatively there (here, as I'm in La Ceiba now), in size/stature.

Each country has its own unique set of circumstances.
Mexico definitely has its charms.

How’s your Spanish and dealing with the different dialects / accents? Also curious what your thoughts are the top three or so LatAm countries overall - food, weather, women, etc.

COtrailrider

Robin
Gnostic or New Age
In terms of finding a good woman who's wife material.
I’m assuming you’re a western guy. The short answer is a resounding yes!

A lot of Mexican women don’t like Mexican guys - they’re too possessive is the main reason I hear. Just improves our chances ultimately. Pair that with some assets or income, decent looks, etc., and you’ll have a much better time.

The region of Querétaro is known as being one of the more conservative areas. I spent some time there and really enjoyed it. I also found the populace to be a bit more conservative as well. The capital has many churches in the city.

That state isn’t well known because many come to Mexico for CDMX or the beaches. It’s still a fun place too with some great cafes/coffee shops.

Philip Dru

Sparrow
Trad Catholic
Mexican women are more marriage material than Colombian on average, the culture is less promiscuous.
Please elaborate. I have known and dated Mexican women in the US and I also dated a Colombian woman in Colombia. My read on the Mexican women is that they are quite opportunistic.

Marry the wrong girl from the wrong family in either culture you are going to have issues. Find a middle class girl and up in either culture and you might be OK. As long as you can hold up your end of the bargain.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
I’m assuming you’re a western guy. The short answer is a resounding yes!

A lot of Mexican women don’t like Mexican guys - they’re too possessive is the main reason I hear. Just improves our chances ultimately. Pair that with some assets or income, decent looks, etc., and you’ll have a much better time.

The region of Querétaro is known as being one of the more conservative areas. I spent some time there and really enjoyed it. I also found the populace to be a bit more conservative as well. The capital has many churches in the city.

That state isn’t well known because many come to Mexico for CDMX or the beaches. It’s still a fun place too with some great cafes/coffee shops.
I spent a week in Queretero a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the city, it’s very clean, safe and has some really nice colonial architecture. It’s a bit boring but el DF is close enough for weekend trips if you want some excitement, it’s my second favourite in Mexico after Merida, which is great but too hot for me.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
Please elaborate. I have known and dated Mexican women in the US and I also dated a Colombian woman in Colombia. My read on the Mexican women is that they are quite opportunistic.

Marry the wrong girl from the wrong family in either culture you are going to have issues. Find a middle class girl and up in either culture and you might be OK. As long as you can hold up your end of the bargain.
As I mentioned above, Colombian women are easier to bed and less faithful than Mexicans, obviously there’s exceptions which is why I said on average. I’m pretty sure this is common knowledge for guys with extensive experience in LatAm, the Colombia threads were always more active than the Mexico ones back in the old RVF days for a reason.

COtrailrider

Robin
Gnostic or New Age
I spent a week in Queretero a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the city, it’s very clean, safe and has some really nice colonial architecture. It’s a bit boring but el DF is close enough for weekend trips if you want some excitement, it’s my second favourite in Mexico after Merida, which is great but too hot for me.
I’ve heard a lot of good things about Merida. Safe, traditional, but the heat is a con for sure. I’d like to explore the Yucatán area this fall/winter though. When’s the best time of year to go? I’d like good weather and maybe some local festivities to check out.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
I’ve heard a lot of good things about Merida. Safe, traditional, but the heat is a con for sure. I’d like to explore the Yucatán area this fall/winter though. When’s the best time of year to go? I’d like good weather and maybe some local festivities to check out.
I think winter time so around November til March or so, that’s when I visited and it was still quite hot, around 30 degrees C but in other seasons it can get up to 40 degrees. I don’t understand Fahrenheit but 40 is probably around 120 F and 30 around 90 F, that’s way too hot for my Celtic, Canadian bred blood.

It’s really nice though, very cheap (perhaps not so much anymore) and clean, it almost doesn’t seem like Mexico, it’s relatively quiet too, especially for LatAm standards. It’s one of those cities that I could see myself living in my later years, especially for people 50+, it could be a bit boring for younger folks who are still in party mode. One downside for many is that it’s not on the beach, it’s a half hour from Progreso which is on the Atlantic side of the Yucatan so it doesn’t have the white Caribbean sand. I’m not a beach guy so I don’t care about that so much.

I think I prefer Queretero because there’s fewer Gringos and because I can be in the capital by bus in about three hours from there, to me it’s a world class city, at least by LatAm standards, Mexico City is pretty awesome but is too big to live in, for me personally.

I’m still looking for “my city” in Mexico, I’ve been to many and still haven’t felt that wow factor that I did in Colombia, perhaps I never will but Mexico ticks a lot of boxes for me. I love to fish and scuba dive but don’t like the beach, which I know doesn’t make sense but beaches in tropical countries are just too hot and I find beach tourists to be annoying. The closest I’ve found so far are the Blue Mountains overlooking Kingston Jamaica but that place is just too ghetto for me, whitey sticks out a bit too much in those parts, great climate, coffee, food and night life though.

lonewolf1968

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Another question:
In America, we have a very strong "college culture". People will often wear t-shirts, sweatshirts, hats from their former college, they'll go to their college football and basketball games, they'll be buying memorabilia of their college and making donations years and decades after they graduate. For many Americans, their college is part of their identity.
Does Latin America have anything even slightly like this?
I speak for Colombia, but besides networking and gloating about the expensive University you've graduated from, in a party to impress because of the casta system we have, honestly we couldn't care less. All you described about that collegue culture in the States seems so alien and foreign to me, even a bit creepy lol.

TheosisSeeker

Robin
Orthodox Catechumen
I've been in Bogotá for longer than that. I agree that it is very easy to meet women as a European guy who has a decent amount of money. However it is definitely not easy to find a good, young Christian girl who wants to get married early and have a family.

I think you are pointing out that one can find a girl for a secular marriage much easier than in the US / western europe. I agree with that. But frankly I don't think anyone on this forum wants to marry a girl who's showing her butt on Instagram. That is quite standard here, even for self proclaimed Christians.

Also, let's keep in mind that max 20% of adults 18-50 are married in Colombia. And 85% of children are born to unmarried mothers.

I don't mean to sound overly negative or pessimistic. Things are better here overall. But definitely not *great*.

Many of the Columbian women I've met in the states match your description, goes for other types of latinas as well. Does the US change latinas to be more promiscuous, or do these types of women self-select and come here?

Blade Runner

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Many of the Columbian women I've met in the states match your description, goes for other types of latinas as well. Does the US change latinas to be more promiscuous, or do these types of women self-select and come here?
Both. I think @vstk 's analysis there is quite good, actually. Others know better than I (like @scotian )

Remember, Colombia like many of the LatAm countries or societies, is low trust when it comes down to it. My experience (a little compared to others here, but I've been to many of the countries) and my gut suggest to me that they are more places to have fun or vacation in, to be blunt. @lonewolf1968 would have much more insight into their caste system there, as he says, but that seems pretty obvious and real, but is one of the deeper realities in those societies that outsiders and visitors have a harder time really understanding or seeing, since we didn't grow up there.

While I'm still very much interested in LatAm, I have too many ethnic and religious roots (being orthodox) in eastern european places, which I think would far better suit me, if interested in having a family. It helps that they are much safer places and generally look more like I do, which is a preference of mine to give as in inheritance.

hedonist

Kingfisher
Other Christian

Colombian friend of a friends father died and the following day after doing a tribute to him was T&A pics on the gram....I know you can't paint everyone with the same brush but still...

COtrailrider

Robin
Gnostic or New Age
I think winter time so around November til March or so, that’s when I visited and it was still quite hot, around 30 degrees C but in other seasons it can get up to 40 degrees. I don’t understand Fahrenheit but 40 is probably around 120 F and 30 around 90 F, that’s way too hot for my Celtic, Canadian bred blood.

It’s really nice though, very cheap (perhaps not so much anymore) and clean, it almost doesn’t seem like Mexico, it’s relatively quiet too, especially for LatAm standards. It’s one of those cities that I could see myself living in my later years, especially for people 50+, it could be a bit boring for younger folks who are still in party mode. One downside for many is that it’s not on the beach, it’s a half hour from Progreso which is on the Atlantic side of the Yucatan so it doesn’t have the white Caribbean sand. I’m not a beach guy so I don’t care about that so much.

I think I prefer Queretero because there’s fewer Gringos and because I can be in the capital by bus in about three hours from there, to me it’s a world class city, at least by LatAm standards, Mexico City is pretty awesome but is too big to live in, for me personally.

I’m still looking for “my city” in Mexico, I’ve been to many and still haven’t felt that wow factor that I did in Colombia, perhaps I never will but Mexico ticks a lot of boxes for me. I love to fish and scuba dive but don’t like the beach, which I know doesn’t make sense but beaches in tropical countries are just too hot and I find beach tourists to be annoying. The closest I’ve found so far are the Blue Mountains overlooking Kingston Jamaica but that place is just too ghetto for me, whitey sticks out a bit too much in those parts, great climate, coffee, food and night life though.
Thanks for the info. I might head there come November then - explore the city and pop over to the beach because I know a couple people there that can help show me around.

Are you a resident of MX as well? I've also been looking for a homebase in MX. Aspects of this country get on my nerves at times so I don't think I can spend more than a few months in any one place though. Centro of Queretaro is a great place to stay for a while because, like you mentioned, there aren't many gringos but it still has a lot of colonial sights, is relatively inexpensive, and its central location (plus an airport) allow easy access to the country. I also like parts of CDMX but of course being one of the largest cities in the world can be too chaotic at times.

There are a lot of freedom-minded people (expats and natives) on the pacific side and they've been working to push back against the virus hysteria for a while now. PV, Cabo, even pockets of inland areas.

lonewolf1968

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Both. I think @vstk 's analysis there is quite good, actually. Others know better than I (like @scotian )

Remember, Colombia like many of the LatAm countries or societies, is low trust when it comes down to it. My experience (a little compared to others here, but I've been to many of the countries) and my gut suggest to me that they are more places to have fun or vacation in, to be blunt. @lonewolf1968 would have much more insight into their caste system there, as he says, but that seems pretty obvious and real, but is one of the deeper realities in those societies that outsiders and visitors have a harder time really understanding or seeing, since we didn't grow up there.

While I'm still very much interested in LatAm, I have too many ethnic and religious roots (being orthodox) in eastern european places, which I think would far better suit me, if interested in having a family. It helps that they are much safer places and generally look more like I do, which is a preference of mine to give as in inheritance.
Caste system is mainly class and wealth-based, but I suspect Whiteness has a bit to do. Colombian girls can be as promiscous as their western counterparts but sometimes they don't show it, and they can be just as evil. Roosh articles describing females being water fitting the recipient they are put in is good way to define it. My suggestion if one foreigner wants to find a good Colombian girl is learn pretty good Spanish, get some kind of in-office job that allows you to network and make lots of friends, go to a local Christian church (If Protestant better) and try that for at least 2-5 years if you're lucky. Lower your standard to a 6-7.5 (Old scale). I think you can get a secular wife in a year or less doing basic game, and even remotely, but mostly because they either want the green card, or want an escape of their Colombian reality. I know this because of a couple of girls I used to date in my old days ended up married to Euro guys but dumped them once they got their papers. Even a friend of a friend is married to a German guy in Berlin but cheats on him regularly when coming back to Colombia to meet her family. Oh, I remember a really good looking chica who was happy about getting married to a British guy but when I asked her how she was feeling she said ''kind of happy but the only bad thing he is too short' lol. When I see the dudes, most of the times I think to myself dude I could kill it in here (getting a high value woman) if I had more money.

Lastly, the girls I know who are Catholic are just secular, the only virgins I've met all are from Protestant churches, and those are genuinely good girls.

Last edited:

LoveBug

Kingfisher
Catholic
Mexico definitely has its charms.

How’s your Spanish and dealing with the different dialects / accents? Also curious what your thoughts are the top three or so LatAm countries overall - food, weather, women, etc.

Yeah, the pronunciation is insanely different from country to country, even next door. But I'm able to communicate basically.

I haven't been to the Cono Sur region, Venezuela, Bolivia, Paraguay, Peru or Colombia.

My two favorite are Honduras and Guatemala, personally, but all these countries aren't perfect.

I'd say Honduras is my favorite just because of the women and lack of foreigners outside of Roatan and the islands, but the prices in the chain stores are American, the cuisine on the street and restaurants is rough. The mainland beaches are rough and sometimes brown, though they suit my taste, and the humidity is brutal - you need to stay in AC in a lot of the country (the islands have great beaches but are gringo ridden).

Guatemala is the place I've stayed most extensively and for that reason it has some of my heart, and I like the fact that there are few gringos outside of Atitlan/Xela/Antigua. There is gringo factor, which for my vain middle aged self takes precedent but the quality not the best, really not a lot of European blood in the women, if you know what I'm saying. The beaches on the northwest coast by Mexico are my favorite - Tilapa/Champerico etc, and the region sees little gringos besides me. Its unlike say Ecuador or Nicaragua where there are gringos on the beaches

Those countries Honduras/Guatemala have kind of a rustic feel and you kind of feel like McAfee in Belize. Thats what makes those places tick for me, if its for starting a family my answer would be totally different for the normal person who already has a wife

Last edited:

Brother Abdul Majeed

Kingfisher
Catholic
Gold Member
Look at all you guys discussing nonsense.

As if a girl from Guatemala is any better than a girl from El Salvador or Mexico or Colombia. It's like listening to birds chirping hearing you guys talk.

LoveBug

Kingfisher
Catholic
Look at all you guys discussing nonsense.

As if a girl from Guatemala is any better than a girl from El Salvador or Mexico or Colombia. It's like listening to birds chirping hearing you guys talk.

My man, if your referring to my post I purposefully said the quality wasnt good there. Its a highly subjective field, no doubt about it, but there are racial difference throughout Central America that set the girls apart at least somewhat

Australia Sucks

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Caste system is mainly class and wealth-based, but I suspect Whiteness has a bit to do. Colombian girls can be as promiscous as their western counterparts but sometimes they don't show it, and they can be just as evil. Roosh articles describing females being water fitting the recipient they are put in is good way to define it. My suggestion if one foreigner wants to find a good Colombian girl is learn pretty good Spanish, get some kind of in-office job that allows you to network and make lots of friends, go to a local Christian church (If Protestant better) and try that for at least 2-5 years if you're lucky. Lower your standard to a 6-7.5 (Old scale). I think you can get a secular wife in a year or less doing basic game, and even remotely, but mostly because they either want the green card, or want an escape of their Colombian reality. I know this because of a couple of girls I used to date in my old days ended up married to Euro guys but dumped them once they got their papers. Even a friend of a friend is married to a German guy in Berlin but cheats on him regularly when coming back to Colombia to meet her family. Oh, I remember a really good looking chica who was happy about getting married to a British guy but when I asked her how she was feeling she said ''kind of happy but the only bad thing he is too short' lol. When I see the dudes, most of the times I think to myself dude I could kill it in here (getting a high value woman) if I had more money.

Lastly, the girls I know who are Catholic are just secular, the only virgins I've met all are from Protestant churches, and those are genuinely good girls.
In terms of the caste system I actually felt Colombians seemed at least somewhat relaxed about it compared to other countries like Chile or Peru. Especially in Chile the snobbery and obnoxiousness of rich people was quite outrageous really. I felt like in Chile and Peru rich people really despise poor people and are massively isolated from the rest of society but in Colombia they seemed a lot more chilled out about it. Don't get me wrong through you can still definitely notice the caste system in Colombia like suburbs being literally grouped into strata levels, families with money having maids, etc.

Also as somebody who is olive skinned with dark hair and eyes and being non European I can say that it did not seem to be a problem for the majority of Colombian girls. Although if you are white and European looking as a guy you will get more attention from women in Colombia but you still will do just fine if you have a different look. And I noticed it was quite common in Colombia for white people to have mestizo, black and sometimes even foreign friends.

Why do you say lower your standards to women in the 6 - 7.5 range? Its a bit depressing. I mean if I cannot get a 8 or a 9 in Colombia where in the world could I possibly get one?