2020 South American Expat Thread

COtrailrider

Robin
Gnostic or New Age
For Spanish, press "two"

I guess pretty soon it'll be "For English, press two".

That was a terribly written article, by the way.

It's ironic how Latinos have come in droves to the US and many can't speak a lick of English and leech off the welfare state, then when a fraction of that is reversed they're up in arms. Their welfare state desires have transformed many borders areas (and beyond) of the US.

The writer also ignored how MX negated a lot of the economic fallout from COVID that other countries experienced by staying open. The Westerners came down and spent much more money per capita than locals. That kept people employed and businesses open.

They should point the finger at their own inept government which has widened the rich vs poor gap for much longer and done far worse damage than remote workers the past couple of years. MX, like much of LatAm, has a huge wealth divide. Even their TV shows demonstrate the built-in caste system by just looking at the skin color of their actors. These countries tend to have a lot of natural resources but the wealth is squandered by politicians and corrupt interests. But yeah, let's blame whitey.

Having said that, CDMX is an awesome place. Many locals don't even speak that good of English either which is interesting for such a cosmopolitan city. There have been a ton of gringos coming down and only hang out in the gringo places and only speak English. I empathize with the locals in that regard. But only to an extent given my earlier comment about how the US has been completely transformed.

magaman

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
I guess pretty soon it'll be "For English, press two".

That was a terribly written article, by the way.

It's ironic how Latinos have come in droves to the US and many can't speak a lick of English and leech off the welfare state, then when a fraction of that is reversed they're up in arms. Their welfare state desires have transformed many borders areas (and beyond) of the US.

The writer also ignored how MX negated a lot of the economic fallout from COVID that other countries experienced by staying open. The Westerners came down and spent much more money per capita than locals. That kept people employed and businesses open.

They should point the finger at their own inept government which has widened the rich vs poor gap for much longer and done far worse damage than remote workers the past couple of years. MX, like much of LatAm, has a huge wealth divide. Even their TV shows demonstrate the built-in caste system by just looking at the skin color of their actors. These countries tend to have a lot of natural resources but the wealth is squandered by politicians and corrupt interests. But yeah, let's blame whitey.

Having said that, CDMX is an awesome place. Many locals don't even speak that good of English either which is interesting for such a cosmopolitan city. There have been a ton of gringos coming down and only hang out in the gringo places and only speak English. I empathize with the locals in that regard. But only to an extent given my earlier comment about how the US has been completely transformed.
I think it's all hilarious actually. Part of me thinks also that most Mexicans aren't even angry about the gringos being there because they are spending their money there. That being said, this new wave of colonization couldn't have happened to a better place and Mexico can only benefit from this and go up from where they are.

The thing is people are tribal by nature and will always congregate and gather with people that are like them; Religiously and especially racially. That doesn't mean that one can't have friends of other demographics/groups but ultimately people will stick with their tribe at the end of the day.

I would love to go to Mexico City and visit these neighborhoods that the "gringos" have gentrified. Looking at pictures of them on Google, you'd hardly think it was a third world country. That's how much they have contributed to where they are living. In a way I even feel tempted to live there too and "assist the brother/sisterhood" and grow the colony, however I don't really have any qualifications when it comes to remote work. Honestly wouldn't know where to start with something like that, except for buying a decent laptop haha.

COtrailrider

Robin
Gnostic or New Age
I think it's all hilarious actually. Part of me thinks also that most Mexicans aren't even angry about the gringos being there because they are spending their money there. That being said, this new wave of colonization couldn't have happened to a better place and Mexico can only benefit from this and go up from where they are.

The thing is people are tribal by nature and will always congregate and gather with people that are like them; Religiously and especially racially. That doesn't mean that one can't have friends of other demographics/groups but ultimately people will stick with their tribe at the end of the day.

I would love to go to Mexico City and visit these neighborhoods that the "gringos" have gentrified. Looking at pictures of them on Google, you'd hardly think it was a third world country. That's how much they have contributed to where they are living. In a way I even feel tempted to live there too and "assist the brother/sisterhood" and grow the colony, however I don't really have any qualifications when it comes to remote work. Honestly wouldn't know where to start with something like that, except for buying a decent laptop haha.
I’ve spent some time in Mexico City (CDMX) this year. The gentrified areas aren’t as extreme as that terrible author is describing. It’s still looking third world in more ways than one, believe me. I lived in the three popular areas too.

There is a ton of money coming in along with new cafés and restaurants. If one has money it’s a fantastic place. Even $2k a month offers a great lifestyle. If you’re conversational in Spanish and show interest in the locals and their culture you’ll have an even better experience. It’s also one of the easiest residency visas to get and stacks up pretty damn well. Feel free to DM me if you want some more info.

LoveBug

Kingfisher
Catholic

Yeah, I spend a lot of time in Latin America, and at the end of the day, depending on where you are, these people aren't of you. There will always be that separation. Your just using the land for the end means that you want, and most of the people are fairly deferential to gringos to their face on balance which makes for a good experience, but who knows that some of them actually think of you deep down

magaman

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
I’ve spent some time in Mexico City (CDMX) this year. The gentrified areas aren’t as extreme as that terrible author is describing. It’s still looking third world in more ways than one, believe me. I lived in the three popular areas too.

There is a ton of money coming in along with new cafés and restaurants. If one has money it’s a fantastic place. Even $2k a month offers a great lifestyle. If you’re conversational in Spanish and show interest in the locals and their culture you’ll have an even better experience. It’s also one of the easiest residency visas to get and stacks up pretty damn well. Feel free to DM me if you want some more info.
I have some conversational Spanish skills although I definitely need to refine them and get some practice in. I'm looking for remote work jobs right now and seeing what I can land. I'll definitely need to invest in a laptop before traveling or making a move there. What I'll probably do is spend a week or two there and see how it feels. If I like the vibe then I'll look into staying there longer term. To my knowledge, Mexico is the easiest country to get into if you are American. Yeah man if I have any questions, I'll send you a message. If anything happens I'll be sure to let you guys know.

COtrailrider

Robin
Gnostic or New Age
Yeah, I spend a lot of time in Latin America, and at the end of the day, depending on where you are, these people aren't of you. There will always be that separation. Your just using the land for the end means that you want, and most of the people are fairly deferential to gringos to their face on balance which makes for a good experience, but who knows that some of them actually think of you deep down
How long do you spend in given areas and how often do you return? Curious how different your experiences are based on how you travel.

I've asked several locals about what they think of gringos coming down. One outdoor restaurant I went to there were two mid-50s women next to me. I ordered an interesting dessert (an ice cream taco, which is as good as it sounds) and they asked me about it. We got to talking in Spanish and they opened up about a lot of things. In regards to this question they said there are tourists which only go to the gringo-friendly businesses and hang out with other gringos. Then they said there are travelers, like myself (their words), which speak the language, go to the off-the-wall spots, and want to integrate. One of these women invited me on a five day backpacking/hiking trip in the Yucatan towards the end of the conversation too - this is what I'm getting at with my question.

It's also interesting to see the demeanor change with Mexicans when I tell them that I'm a resident. That displays a different level of commitment to the country, and thus I think it triggers in them that they can commit to getting to know me a bit better because it further separates me as one of the aforementioned tourists. Shows that I'm not just there for the food and sightseeing.

Easy_C

Peacock
I have some conversational Spanish skills although I definitely need to refine them and get some practice in. I'm looking for remote work jobs right now and seeing what I can land. I'll definitely need to invest in a laptop before traveling or making a move there. What I'll probably do is spend a week or two there and see how it feels. If I like the vibe then I'll look into staying there longer term. To my knowledge, Mexico is the easiest country to get into if you are American. Yeah man if I have any questions, I'll send you a message. If anything happens I'll be sure to let you guys know.
A lot of remote jobs will send you the laptop.

Cynllo

Kingfisher
Other Christian
I've asked several locals about what they think of gringos coming down.

I ask questions like this. In Colombia I got an answer I wasn't expecting, multiple times.

IMG_20220802_194458.jpg

You'd have to include LatAm in any bizzare world.

Turns out Jews have a reputation for going over there in sex, drugs and alcohol benders, smashing things up and acting like they own the place. Making bronze men feel bad.

I saw a map a few days ago (can't find it now), which showed the most disliked country by country. Two in LatAm chose Israel.

I wonder who is responsible for their decline into the most sexualiseed cultures.

IM3000

Pelican
I ask questions like this. In Colombia I got an answer I wasn't expecting, multiple times.

View attachment 46078

You'd have to include LatAm in any bizzare world.

Turns out Jews have a reputation for going over there in sex, drugs and alcohol benders, smashing things up and acting like they own the place. Making bronze men feel bad.

I saw a map a few days ago (can't find it now), which showed the most disliked country by country. Two in LatAm chose Israel.

I wonder who is responsible for their decline into the most sexualiseed cultures.
Many people in Uruguay used to openly hate Jews. Maybe this has changed now but when I lived there, it was a common sentiment. Same goes for Argentina.
On numerous occasions, someone remarked that the only thing Adolf did wrong was to die before he rid the world of all the Jews. The guys saying this were pretty normal people, not guys with swastika tattoos or something.

magaman

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
A lot of remote jobs will send you the laptop.
Yeah I saw that some remote jobs I applied to will send you the equipment necessary.

One thing I was wondering about though is that some of these jobs have location requirements. They require one to be in a certain state but I'm wondering if it would be against the rules to slip off to some other state or Mexico for a week or two while still having access to the internet and working the required shifts.

LoveBug

Kingfisher
Catholic
How long do you spend in given areas and how often do you return? Curious how different your experiences are based on how you travel.

I've asked several locals about what they think of gringos coming down. One outdoor restaurant I went to there were two mid-50s women next to me. I ordered an interesting dessert (an ice cream taco, which is as good as it sounds) and they asked me about it. We got to talking in Spanish and they opened up about a lot of things. In regards to this question they said there are tourists which only go to the gringo-friendly businesses and hang out with other gringos. Then they said there are travelers, like myself (their words), which speak the language, go to the off-the-wall spots, and want to integrate. One of these women invited me on a five day backpacking/hiking trip in the Yucatan towards the end of the conversation too - this is what I'm getting at with my question.

It's also interesting to see the demeanor change with Mexicans when I tell them that I'm a resident. That displays a different level of commitment to the country, and thus I think it triggers in them that they can commit to getting to know me a bit better because it further separates me as one of the aforementioned tourists. Shows that I'm not just there for the food and sightseeing.

I'm not sure I'd fit the bill for either. I dont like that definition of tourist though, and I make it a point to not being around everyday tourists. I definitely speak the language at a rudimentary/conversational level and hit up regions without other gringos, but I'm not sure about the integrating part. But I move around a lot.

LoveBug

Kingfisher
Catholic
Many people in Uruguay used to openly hate Jews. Maybe this has changed now but when I lived there, it was a common sentiment. Same goes for Argentina.
On numerous occasions, someone remarked that the only thing Adolf did wrong was to die before he rid the world of all the Jews. The guys saying this were pretty normal people, not guys with swastika tattoos or something.

In Central America, like Honduras/El Salvador, but I believe in some South American countries like Ecuador, its the "Turcos". Lebanese/Palestinian Christians/Muslims that are sectarian and are also out of place economically/politically that function sort of like Jews (they come from the same region and might share genetics to an extent). Its one of the drawbacks of the countries.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
In Central America, like Honduras/El Salvador, but I believe in some South American countries like Ecuador, its the "Turcos". Lebanese/Palestinian Christians/Muslims that are sectarian and are also out of place economically/politically that function sort of like Jews (they come from the same region and might share genetics to an extent). Its one of the drawbacks of the countries.
I wrote about this on here before but Barranquilla, Colombia has a well established community of Middle Easterners in the city that dates back decides, over a century. They are very well off, own lots of property and local businesses plus are active in the local port with import/export. They don’t make trouble but I can see locals disliking them because of their shrewd business practices and keeping to themselves.

BLMeToo

Robin
Catholic
I wrote about this on here before but Barranquilla, Colombia has a well established community of Middle Easterners in the city that dates back decides, over a century. They are very well off, own lots of property and local businesses plus are active in the local port with import/export. They don’t make trouble but I can see locals disliking them because of their shrewd business practices and keeping to themselves.
How possible is it to ingratiate oneself with this community if you yourself are Middle Eastern (from the US) and speak rudimentary Arabic?

Dilated

Woodpecker
Other Christian

In Ecuador (and probably Colombia) it’s the Venezuelans. They come in…undercut the labor market…commit petty crimes (steal cell phones)…force their 4 year olds to sell candies in the streets…and generally have a horrendous Spanish accent.

They get in the way. Causes some conflict between Ecuadoreans and Venezuelans.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
In Ecuador (and probably Colombia) it’s the Venezuelans. They come in…undercut the labor market…commit petty crimes (steal cell phones)…force their 4 year olds to sell candies in the streets…and generally have a horrendous Spanish accent.

They get in the way. Causes some conflict between Ecuadoreans and Venezuelans.
^Yup, the locals despise Venezuelans, so many came in such a short period that it was bound to create animosity. Some are really great people but for everyone of those there’s dozens who are criminals and they’re often very violent.

The Arabs have come in waves, after wars and some just for the adventure but they’re presence is very limited compared to the Venezuelans. I doubt many locals have been victimized by an Arab, It may be comparable to Americans who bitch about Asians because they are successful but they know that they’re not a threat, it’s the local MS-13 gang that’s more likely to stab them.

Overall, I’d say that Arabs have a positive image in Colombia, the good looking wealthy Emirati types or attractive Lebanese dudes anyway.

ginsu

Kingfisher
Other Christian
I'm looking to go to Colombia. After the whole scam these last years I'm not sure what to do with the list of vaccines they recommend for visiting Colombia. Skip all of them or are there some that are actually useful or needed ?. Appreciate thoughts on this.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Other Christian
Gold Member

Costa Rica though......
3e50ca297c88ca3886edb5fe83a2d014.gif

From what I have gathered online you can do a border run there in the same day to reset your 90 days. Which is nice cause if you do a border run in Panama you need to stay gone for 30 days before they let you back in... however they also give you 6 months to be there and Costa Rica only 3 months.

Last edited:

COtrailrider

Robin
Gnostic or New Age
Hilarious how he asks her to explain, gives her two seconds, then just finishes the message for her haha. The blue haired land whales in the west would be all over this, calling him a misogynist and mansplainer - it's refreshing to see this kind of behavior on display, by a president no less.

This is awesome news. Meanwhile many first-world countries still have backwards restrictions in place.

I don't know any native Ticos - anyone have insight how the population thought of the restrictions? If I remember right, CR went full retard with vaxx passes to function in society. Wonder if that was a top-down directive or if it was also supported by the public.