23andme and further ancestry analysis Data Sheet

I think I got my results back.

Something about them being initial reports but not exactly done. I don't know what that means. Anybody with experience on 23andme know what that means?

Brian Shima

Pelican
Hey Mid West send a message to the OP, he was really patient with assisting me. I got that message when part of the analysis was complete but you need a few more weeks for the full

Sonsowey

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Midwest feel free to PM me, but yea, I don't know why 23andme does that, but you can download your raw data and analyze it yourself using GED Match

http://v2.gedmatch.com/login1.php

It takes some interpretation.

There is no one "correct" answer, which Brian was looking for. PMing with him he did lots of different analyses and kept saying "But which one is right?" All of these analyses basically compare your DNA to a certain number of "reference populations" which can cause your results to vary a lot.

You're Mexican right? Basically you'd expect to be mostly European/Native American, with some small amount of Sub-Saharan African or Middle Eastern descent not surprising. If you choose a "calculator" with reference populations that don't include European, Native American, African, and Middle Eastern, you will get strange results because it is looking at your Native American DNA and trying to fit it into, say, the Japanese category or something.

Collide

Kingfisher
In Canada it costs $200 for the kit compared to $99 in the US. What a complete ripoff. That's a shame because I've been thinking about doing it for a while too.

Sonsowey

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Collide said:
In Canada it costs $200 for the kit compared to $99 in the US. What a complete ripoff. That's a shame because I've been thinking about doing it for a while too.

Yeah the low price was what made me go for it I think, but only 10 years ago this was a sevice that cost thousands of dollars. It's still a good deal at $200, I think it actually costs them more than that to do the analysis.

I think the whole point is for them to gather enough genetic information to either start making discoveries on their own, ie linking certain genes to certain medical conditions, or to sell the data to people who would make those discoveries.

So they are in essence subsidising your purchase and giving you personal genomic information just so they can get your genome data to later sell.

Sonsowey

Hummingbird
Gold Member
El Mech

Basically the results you get are all just "best guesses".

23andme compares your DNA to groups of people they have on file. They get a bunch of Italian people, a bunch of German people etc. Then they get your DNA and compare it. Are there any things that only show up in Italian DNA that also show up in you? OK then they say you're part Italian. Things that only show up in Germans that show up in you? Ok you're part German.

This is not necessarily 100% true, but a good guess. Obviously Italy and Greece have shared a lot of gene flow over history. Parts of Italy were in the "greek" world back in the day, and the people of Southern Europe in general are very related. So you could be Greek going back 2,000 years, and because Greek people went to Italy and settled there and they got an Italian sample that is part Greek, they say you look Italian.

But you could do different tests that use different "reference populations" to give you more accurate results.

Ie there are tests that have tons of different European populations that will give someone who is only European more accurate results, cause it compares you to like 30 different European groups or something.

Google "23andme raw data" and download it, it's a .txt file, and send it to me, I can run these other Euro-centric tests for you if you're interested. Or you could do it yourself, Brian and Midwest did it themselves by loading it onto this website: http://v2.gedmatch.com/login1.php

I'm just gonna load it onto that website myself, so you could do it yourself, but it can be a bit confusing and I've done it before so if you want, I could take care of it.

Sonsowey

Hummingbird
Gold Member
el mechanico said:
best guesses

Well the other part of the data showed up today and on the list of relatives are people I actually know I'm related to.

How do I send that raw data to you from here? I downloaded it.

Yea the people you're related to are real because they're just comparing bits of your DNA that are unique with people who have those same unique patterns. They are "identical by descent" meaning you have a common ancestor not very long ago.

The country things though are more guesses than the actual relatives. Still very good guesses but not perfect.

el mechanico

Owl
Gold Member
Sonsowey, my surname list looks like the cast of swamp people. I kinda knew it would show up like that.

I'm thinking to go back there again but bring my boat this time.

el mechanico

Owl
Gold Member
That 23andme community forum is pure gold. Black guys pissed they're not black enough, people finding there kids, Dudes pissed of about a lame haplogroup, chicks trying to message like 10th cousins complaining about lack of responses.

Sourcecode

Crow
Gold Member
My dad did a test from ancestry.com
Turns out he is 90 percent black.

Chances are.. I am also black.

We have known this our whole lives. But now if anyone says we act white..Cause we all have college degrees.. I will have DNA evidence that I'm still black.

el mechanico

Owl
Gold Member
Sourcecode said:
My dad did a test from ancestry.com
Turns out he is 90 percent black.

Chances are.. I am also black.

We have known this our whole lives. But now if anyone says we act white..Cause we all have college degrees.. I will have DNA evidence that I'm still black.
What's the other 10? You should take one.

Windom Earle

Pelican
Gold Member
Bumping this thread for further discussion.

I did an Ancestry.com DNA test about 12 months ago as I was also intrigued about my ancestry.

Haven’t checked the site since then until last week. When I did, it updated/refined my results to give greater accuracy of regions and certain percentages which I presume is enabled by an increase in participants.

E.g. previously it gave a result of 2% Scandinavian, now it has pinpointed it to Norway and increased the percentage to 10% (obviously reducing other percentages). It even mentioned certain provinces in Ireland, which is my largest percentage.

I’m also keen on doing the 23andme Test to see my Neanderthal admixture.