80s thread, best of the 80s

Gimlet

Woodpecker
Jennifer Connelly. I remember watching The Rocketteer as a kid and she was like my dream woman. Probably still is.

Not quite 80s. It was 1991. close enough
Jennifer Connoly, yes. So beautiful. And natural.
I just turned 50 so this is my era and now I am going to be nostalgic. 1991 was around the end. By 1992 or 93, I remember girls belching out loud as though it was attractive in some way. The start of mimicking the worst male traits, thinking its attractive.

I don't remember this movie. But the clip made me nostalgic. This was the tail end of society in which a beautiful young woman's face lit up when a real man paid attention to her. Well this was the end of movies showing this as the norm. When a man looked at a beautiful young woman like this, intently with full attention and admiration:

actor.JPG

She would respond like this:

shy jen.JPG

Today we have crap like a movie I could not get through, Amy Shumer as a fat drunk whore in Manhattan who is pushing away an elite sports doctor who is dying to wife her up. Then he finally wins her over.

As a bonus, this is the actress who played the masculine boss banging Michael whatever in The Office. Look how much more beautiful and feminine she was.

office.JPG

If this scene were done today, this Office lady would look exactly the same but with dead, sinister eyes. She'd exploit the male gaze looking like she hates them while getting paid, when really she hates herself. Because she was brainwashed to hate herself.

debeguiled

Peacock
Gold Member
Help me out here.

This must be trolling, posting a video of the succulent Miss Connelly, yet only noticing the tidiness of the Target store?

And why aren't these people by god wearing masks?

LINUX

Ostrich
Gold Member
Anyone reminiscing about the 80's should listen to the audiobook Ready Player One.

15 hrs of worth of 80s galore narated by the kid from Stand by Me.

Very different from the Ready Player One movie.

Is this just for movies? I loved my Atari 8-bit computer and 5 1/4" floppy disk drive. I got to drive a used 1985 Caprice in the 90's; I wish we could have cars like that again. I would have loved to have had one those 80 something Lincolns to.

Is this just for movies? I loved my Atari 8-bit computer and 5 1/4" floppy disk drive. I got to drive a used 1985 Caprice in the 90's; I wish we could have cars like that again. I would have loved to have had one those 80 something Lincolns to.
Had an Atari 800 for a while in the 1980's. It was a solid computer, and the book that taught BASIC with the basic cartridge was really good. Remember that the disk drive was enormous.

Later the family sold it and got an Apple IIe. There was just a lot more software available, mostly bootlegs, for it. Still have it. The boxes of disks that spent decades in a hot / freezing attic still work for the most part, maybe 95% of them still work. Have the video hooked up to a converter and it goes to a flat screen monitor I got at auction for a dollar. On the flat screen it has really crisp text. Oldest daughter was using it a week ago to play Zork. These days one can download an emulator and lots of software to a PC, but it is still nice to fire up the old system and remember simpler times.

In the mid to late 1980's everyone I knew who had PC's as kids had an Apple if their parents thought it would be educational, a Comodore 64 if they wanted to play games, or an IBM compatible if they could predict the future. I still think if Apple had kept the IIGS going that PC history could have been a different--would not have unseated the IBM PC, but would have made the Apple II series a contender into the mid to late 1990's.

RalphMalph

Pigeon
And the M D stood for 'Many Disasters'?

I remember a buddy told me that one night he was walking down the street and a guy had a empty bottle of MD 20/20 tied to a leash and was dragging it behind him yelling out "Mad Dog!!! Mad Dog!!!!. Ahhh yes, the 70's!!!!! ;)