80s thread, best of the 80s

BadWolf

Banned
Since we're on the topic of great fvckin movies, He-Man... I must have watched this 100 times, this is just a great realization of an awesome cartoon. I am so happy they went with high technology instead of magic, it really worked for the movie. I absolutely loved Gwildore, I thought he was such an awesome character, both Man-at-arms and Teela are also very believable but I don't think they could have picked a better guy to play He-Man.

Also The Last Starfighter, I posted about in another thread, but I think the movie was actually a bit better than Star Wars. Also Space Raiders tops my list for all time best movie ever (Sci-Fi)... Roger Corman, now he was the man, he didn't give a shit what anyone though about his movies and hey, his characters are all believable.

How many movies are you hoping the 'bad guys' win... I mean if you think about it, the main characters are all the bad guys, basically killing everyone in a factory and stealing all the stuff.

And the best movie Disney ever made: TRON

Who wouldn't like a bike like that? Man I don't know why they didn't make a line of motorcycles like that. The new light cycles in my opinion look freaking gay in comparison.

The Lizard of Oz

Crow
Gold Member
I'm going to bump this to post this heartfelt comment that I stumbled across on youtube (it's in the comments thread to the Pet Shop Boys' West End Girls video). I'm not surprised that this comment posted a week ago has generated over 100 replies...

Jason Place
1 week ago (edited)
Linked comment

OK all you 40 and 50 year old people, if you could go back in time to relive the 80's, BUT you years off your TOTAL life, (so instead of dying at 90 years old, you would die at 75-80 years old) would you do it?? The 80's were a unique and amazing decade. The music! The parties! The dances! The friends (many of which you still have 30 years later). Even the movies (ET, The Breakfast Club, Fast Times At Ridgemont High. Dirty Dancing!!) Now that you know that the worst that can happen to you is to be grounded for a week or two or maybe lose your phone privileges for an entire weekend, would you have done more than you did the first time around?? Many of us would kill for a chance to get back to the big hair, the leg warmers, the girl's bathroom so thick with hair spray that it resembled a fog machine, and a chance to dust off those jean jackets one more time!

The 80's were the last decade that, as a kid, we could stay out until after dark, go inside our neighbors houses and eat their food , and feel safe enough to stay in bed if you fell asleep and only locked the screen door! With all those things seemingly against us, somehow, we managed to survive! We didn't have XBox or Wii, and we couldn't carry our cell phones without appearing like we were carrying a purse with wires hanging out of it!! Today, they would look at that thing as a bomb! Hell, I'd even go so far as to say we had more fun without all those things! If we had a day of technological gaming, it was playing Frogger or Pong! We were totally happy playing hide and seek or Cowboys and Indians, and we didn't have to call it Western Residents and Native Americans. We made complex tunnels in the snow banks, used ropes to swing 5 or 6 kids at a time 20 to 40 feet in the air (and we lived when we all fell off in a tangled heap!). We fed marshmallows to raccoons from the back door steps, and taught chipmunks to eat nuts out of our hands or while sitting on our shoulders, and we didn't get lice, or ticks, or rabies! Life was easier then, and a hell of a lot more fun than any kid has today. Why? Because we were safe. Kids could wander the neighborhood, ride our bikes along roadsides, and enjoy running through connected yards sometimes until 9 or 9:30 at night! We chased fireflies and put them in jars to watch them glow before letting them go. Everyone knew everyone! But I think the one thing that made it so much more fun and adventuresome was that we went OUTSIDE, and ya know...we preferred it that way!

Cr33pin

Peacock
Other Christian
Gold Member
Perfect time to bump this thread. I just got done watching The Lost Boys with one of my Peruvian girlfriends... Such a good movie, that sound track and atmosphere in the movie went hauntingly well.
Lost_boys.jpg

IvanDrago

Pelican
Gold Member
Is it just me or has there been an extremely high rate of necromancing old threads lately.

Edit: fuck the 80s (except for Rocky IV :) )

Cr33pin

Peacock
Other Christian
Gold Member
IvanDrago said:
Is it just me or has there been an extremely high rate of necromancing old threads lately.

Edit: fuck the 80s (except for Rocky IV :) )

Quick ninja edit, I was just about to call you out on that.

UroboricForms

Woodpecker
The large majority of my music taste is 80s stuff for some reason. I feel it was perhaps the last great era for popular music overall (most of my post-80s taste is either extreme metal or techno), and pretty much all the best alternative music came out in this decade. So many good films too.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Other Christian
Gold Member
This movie is 30 years old and the new one can't hold the originals jockstrap.... you would think with thirty years of making movies they would have the tools and know how to make a better product, however its the fucking opposite.