A Dead Bat in Paraguay

PineTreeFarmer

Pigeon
Woman
Anyone interested in this text as a reading group? Maybe a cautionary tale for mothers raising boys? Definitely buying it and responding as a critical reader of American Literature <3

PineTreeFarmer

Pigeon
Woman
Would this be a woman's reading group only or a mixed group?
I would be totally open to a mixed group, but we have to have the group in the women's area, if I were to participate. For all intents and purposes, Roosh seems like he was raised to be a super sweet kid, and I think it would be interesting to read it as a travelogue of a young man who was experiencing the world away from home for the first time.

PineTreeFarmer

Pigeon
Woman
Thanks for the heads-up! I got out notes from college on reading autobiography and ordered the paperback. Hopefully I can glean some useful information about raising young men by using tried methods to read for content.

PineTreeFarmer

Pigeon
Woman
@PineTreeFarmer I will purchase a copy to participate. I need to get back into reading instead of art

Lesson plans have been keeping busy in the evenings.

will order later today or early morning.
My favorite administrators were always ones that wanted to see lesson plans for the following week on Friday and take them home over the weekend to make sure they were written right But that was before the internet. I'm excited to have someone join me!

My book arrives Monday.

Nordwand

Kingfisher
For those who wish to talk about Paraguay, another book, with an even more obscure title:

Is it really that long ago?

PineTreeFarmer

Pigeon
Woman
For those who wish to talk about Paraguay, another book, with an even more obscure title:

Is it really that long ago?
Well, I live on an old pig farm? Seventh generation playing Cookie Clicker until bedtime with me right now.

PineTreeFarmer

Pigeon
Woman
Got my copy today, and as I have never participated in a book club, I suppose I'll give feedback when I get through the first section of the book. Kind of reads like juvenile lit so far.

messaggera

Kingfisher
Woman
Got my copy today,

Copy should come tomorrow over here.

Kind of reads like juvenile lit so far.

Sounds like a fast read. I am very interested in the content tone comparison to American Pilgrim.

It has been so long since reading secular content as a memoir, and need to remind myself to brace for the content - given the targeted audience.

Long ago I use to work at a bookstore as a young adult. There was a lady there working just for the discount on books. She used her part time money working there to purchase Romance Novels. One time, out of curiosity, I flipped through one of those novels - I was not expecting what I read from such an innocent looking cover. :confused:

I have never participated in a book club,

Only once and the worst book club pick was 50 Shades of Grey. What a joke - I lost valuable time reading that book.

EDIT:

Not to derail this thread, but you mentioned juvenile literature - writing prompts. We live in a disturbing world when school systems have writing prompts sexulaizing chilren.

HUDSON, Ohio — A book intended to prepare Hudson High School students for college now has parents in an uproar.

They said the contents of the book are inappropriate for their children and now, they’re demanding reform and transparency from the school board.

“Write a sex scene you wouldn't show your mom. Rewrite the sex scene from above into one that you let your mom read. Describe your favorite part of a man's body using only verbs,” said parent Monica Haven.

Those are some of the writing prompts found inside the book, '642 Things to Write About.' [article link]

Last edited:

PineTreeFarmer

Pigeon
Woman
Copy should come tomorrow over here.

Sounds like a fast read. I am very interested in the content tone comparison to American Pilgrim.

It has been so long since reading secular content as a memoir, and need to remind myself to brace for the content - given the targeted audience.

Long ago I use to work at a bookstore as a young adult. There was a lady there working just for the discount on books. She used her part time money working there to purchase Romance Novels. One time, out of curiosity, I flipped through one of those novels - I was not expecting what I read from such an innocent looking cover. :confused:

Only once and the worst book club pick was 50 Shades of Grey. What a joke - I lost valuable time reading that book.

PineTreeFarmer

Pigeon
Woman
Ugh. I'll get the hang of this forum business before it's over with. I had two small children when 50 Shades came out, and have still lol not had the time or motivation to read anything that wasn't academic until now. Except for Becoming Mrs. Lewis, a horrible historical creative non-fiction, and now this. Maybe a few other memoirs.

As for this read, I'm half way through it, and I won't spoil anything, but I really don't feel like anything is particularly racy or inappropriate. It's secular. It's descriptive and reminds me of travelling abroad when I was much younger and lol being a chubby girl in an Abercrombie sweater with too short hair and my dad's credit card. I could get mad at someone deriding a woman as fat or outspoken, but the Ortho Bros do that now . It's the kind of thing I would lol give to my kids before they planned a trip abroad to remind them that the grass is green at home.

messaggera

Kingfisher
Woman
I really don't feel like anything is particularly racy or inappropriate. It's secular.

I am in Ecuador at the moment.
Still waiting to read content that is deemed, by the author, as a disclaimer, "WARNING: If you're a woman you will hate this book", to occur in the story.

not had the time or motivation to read anything that wasn't academic until now. Except for Becoming Mrs. Lewis, a horrible historical creative non-fiction, and now this. Maybe a few other memoirs.

I understand. Back in, actually I do not remember the years, but was going through a memoir binge of authors. Trying to get back into reading in hand books these days.

It's descriptive and reminds me of travelling abroad when I was much younger

I too am seeing similarities of travelling abroad when I was younger; the content is relatable at times. So far I enjoyed the observations of the mother and infant, and very young children. It reveals how different these young children are from the ones raised in United States. It also reminded me of children I visited while in a third world country - these children lived a very simple (and sometimes difficult) but meaningful life as God intended.

Enjoyed reading your post. Looking forward to sharing more analyses when really into the content; and to hear your thoughts too.
How are things on your end @Ah_Tibor ?

messaggera

Kingfisher
Woman
Found it uncanny, given today is another day in the covid era of this world, the main character’s experiences with university education (microbiology) and work entry is the knowledge gained to analyze what is happening in this era’s oppression.

One section of the story honestly presented how ridiculous working environments are managed within big corporations or governed within academia.

Vacation time is enticing as an employment benefit, but how often does it get used? And if you do not take the vacation you lose it. Petty politics, along with new policies/regulations emails from Human Resources are often demotivating in the work place. Now we have cancel culture after years of politically incorrect in the work places. Social engineering? Perhaps.

This part of the story reminded me to always have faith and trust in our Lord, and Saviour. He will lead us in lives He has planned for us. Glory be to God.

What makes memoirs successful with readers is the opportunity to present the experiencing of similar inconveniences of this world, and being able to understand others.