A question about Orthodox confession

cheeseburgerholocaust

Chicken
Orthodox Inquirer
I am a Catholic and wanted to know if I were to convert to orthodoxy, would I have to remember and reconfess ever mortal sin I ever confessed to a cathloic preist to an orthodox one? Also I am afraid of not remembering a sin then receiving the Eucharist and then remembering a sin thus commiting a heinous sin.

Thank You.

Liviu

Sparrow
Orthodox
Hello, and I let you know you make the best choice of your life if you enter in Orthodox Church who, actualy is The Orthodox (right worshiping) and Catholic (Universal) Church. The word "catholic" is a greek one. The self called Catholic Church is actualy only Church of Rome.

Was some interesting discussions here about confessing in Catholic Church and about validity of sacraments in Catholic Church I had with Lawrence87, Penitent and partially with nagoreshi. You can find it in the thread `What is Orthodox Christianity?`. Much part of the matter is clearified. Penitent found an interesting article written in England about the converting from catholicism to orthodoxy related to sacraments (which you can find in the same thread) but I think there are still some things to clearify. I promised and I will keep my promise to discuss with someone with better credentials than me about it .

Answering to your question:

- If you enter in Orthodox Church by baptism which probably the most here will recommand, all your sins will be untied in this Holy Sacrament

-If you enter in Orthodox Church by christmation, I still think your former sins have been untied in your confessions in Catholic Church ( but this is only my personal opinion right now until I come with at least one back up accredited opinion)

An American Orthodox priest said many who entered by christmation in orthodoxy in his church regretted they didn`t baptize. See here

Liviu

Sparrow
Orthodox
Also I am afraid of not remembering a sin then receiving the Eucharist and then remembering a sin thus commiting a heinous sin.
I will say to to you two things two priests I confessed to said to me

- An old priest, superior of of monastery, when I missed some sins and came after to confess again, admonested me with indulgence that I didn`t prepare well for confession

-A younger priest, when I said at a final of a confession that I think there is still something I forgot but I don`t remember what it is said that if is so that sin is unimportant

Conclusions:

- Usually we don`t forget mortal sins

- We have to prepare well for confession, and Orthodox Church has much better means in helping you
to do it

-Don`t worry. You will be guide by the priest. Take it slowly.

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
I am a Catholic and wanted to know if I were to convert to orthodoxy, would I have to remember and reconfess ever mortal sin I ever confessed to a cathloic preist to an orthodox one? Also I am afraid of not remembering a sin then receiving the Eucharist and then remembering a sin thus commiting a heinous sin.

Thank You.
It depends. Some Orthodox priests would prefer you do a "life confession" before baptism, which is a somewhat modern development. You confess all the sins that you can remember from when you were born (for ease you can group sins together of the same type). All your sins are washed away in baptism anyway, so honest forgetting of sins won't hurt your salvation, as long as you don't deliberately conceal anything. Ask the priest of the church you are considering.

I did not have to do a life confession before I got baptized in ROCOR.

lskdfjldsf

Pelican
Orthodox Catechumen
Gold Member
Former Catholic, now a catechumen. I have to do a life confession before chrismation. The guidance given to me mirrors what Roosh said -- it's not necessarily about recalling every single incident (that would be difficult and impractical) so repeat sins can be grouped together.

You can confess while a catechumen but aren't absolved until after chrismation. Whether you need to be rebaptized is up to the bishop.

Cleotis

Pigeon
Also I am afraid of not remembering a sin then receiving the Eucharist and then remembering a sin thus commiting a heinous sin.

Thank You.
That isn’t a even “heinous sin” in Catholicism.

The Baltimore Catechism:

416. What are we to do if without our fault we forget to confess a mortal sin?​

If without our fault we forget to confess a mortal sin, we may receive Holy Communion, because we have made a good confession and the sin is forgiven; but we must tell the sin in confession if it again comes to our mind.

cheeseburgerholocaust

Chicken
Orthodox Inquirer
It depends. Some Orthodox priests would prefer you do a "life confession" before baptism, which is a somewhat modern development. You confess all the sins that you can remember from when you were born (for ease you can group sins together of the same type). All your sins are washed away in baptism anyway, so honest forgetting of sins won't hurt your salvation, as long as you don't deliberately conceal anything. Ask the priest of the church you are considering.

I did not have to do a life confession before I got baptized in ROCOR.
Thank you for your reply! So even if someone were to deliberately conceal something, they would still be forgiven without confessing if baptized? That really puts my mind as ease, I REALLY don't want to have to confess every sexual/drug escapade of my life I already confessed to a roman Catholic priest. I ESPECIALLY don't want too be looked at differently after having to explain how a fat girl slept with me for a cheeseburger, then after she was asleep, I stole and ate said cheeseburger block her number and left(I honestly wish I was trolling, this really happened). Having to confess stuff like that for 4 hours would be agony. Thanks again so much for your help roosh!

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
Thank you for your reply! So even if someone were to deliberately conceal something, they would still be forgiven without confessing if baptized? That really puts my mind as ease, I REALLY don't want to have to confess every sexual/drug escapade of my life I already confessed to a roman Catholic priest.
I would be careful with that conclusion. I don't know how God would interpret someone who deliberately lied to a priest around the time of baptism. That's not a chance you should take. Definitely talk to the priest about the confession requirements. Share with him what you've stated here. It's very dangerous to approach conversion/baptism with your own ideas and decisions.

cheeseburgerholocaust

Chicken
Orthodox Inquirer
I would be careful with that conclusion. I don't know how God would interpret someone who deliberately lied to a priest around the time of baptism. That's not a chance you should take. Definitely talk to the priest about the confession requirements. Share with him what you've stated here. It's very dangerous to approach conversion/baptism with your own ideas and decisions.
I'm not talking about lieing to a priest, I just wanted to know if baptism in the orthodox church forgave all sins without confession. I have no issue confessing if its really necessary. I would simply like to do so without bringing up painful memories, thanks again!