Clergy & Monastics Abbot Tryphon of All-Merciful Saviour Monastery (Vashon Island, WA)

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox

It seems Abbot Tryphon, at 75 years old has had enough of this coronavirus nonsense. He has been through a lot recently, being hospitalized after being brutally assaulted in public by, in my opinion, a demoniac, and then again needing medical care after a bad fall.

In this second video, he calls on America to repent.

Abbot Tryphon could use our prayers. Thank God for Abbot Tryphon!

His monastery's website

Penitent

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Abbot Tryphon was removed from facebook for violating their terms of service:

Knight.of.Logos

Woodpecker
Orthodox
This was my first exposure to Abbot Tryphon, and I am grateful for this connection. I was experiencing some anger and depression in the last two days, but these videos have been one of the blessings from God that have helped me return to a good place.

I just watched this one, an excellent reminder for someone who can get angry at people while driving:

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
I just learned that he was physically attacked at a gas station two years...
The video shows the attack around 1:00. Suspect was arrested.

Penitent

Woodpecker
Orthodox

Wherein Abbot Tryphon exhorts us to foist our faith, wear our crosses openly, display our icons, invite people to liturgy, etc.
I don't think "foist" is the right word because of it's negative connotation, but we should definitely share out faith.

Yallbeparticular

Sparrow
Orthodox
Unfortunately he said in a recent video “The heavenly banquet” (~5:00 minute mark) that the TradCats have “apostolic succession and a *real Eucharist*.” I was pretty disappointed with this ecumenist statement. I hope that he will retract it. I have enjoyed some of his earlier content but not this statement. There is no Eucharistic mystery outside the Orthodox Church.

Eusebius Erasmus

Pelican
Orthodox
Unfortunately he said in a recent video “The heavenly banquet” (~5:00 minute mark) that the TradCats have “apostolic succession and a *real Eucharist*.” I was pretty disappointed with this ecumenist statement. I hope that he will retract it. I have enjoyed some of his earlier content but not this statement. There is no Eucharistic mystery outside the Orthodox Church.
Catholics do have apostolic succession, but whether their Eucharist is valid is debatable. He may have just meant that they believe that their Eucharist is real.

Yallbeparticular

Sparrow
Orthodox
Catholics do have apostolic succession, but whether their Eucharist is valid is debatable. He may have just meant that they believe that their Eucharist is real.
Certainly I can’t be sure what his precise intent was; I’m just going by the statement itself, which I disagree with.

If by “valid” with regard to apostolic succession and eucharist you mean whether it is a holy mystery or not, then I think that question is not debatable that the Roman Catholics lack holy mysteries, from the Orthodox perspective. Both mysteries of ordination (for apostolic succession) and holy eucharist proceed from the Christ and his theanthropic body (the church).

From my notes on Fr Peter Heers’ ecclesiology course, St Justin Popovich wrote, “In Orthodox teaching about the Church and the Mysteries [sacraments], the single most unique Mystery is the Church itself, the Body of the God-man Christ, so that she is the only source in the content of all divine Mysteries. Outside of this theanthropic and inclusive Mystery of the Church, the Pan-mystery itself, there are no and cannot be any “mysteries”; therefore, there can be no intercommunion of Mysteries. Consequently we can only speak about Mysteries within the context of this unique Pan- Mystery which is the Church. This is because the Orthodox Church, as the Body of Christ, is the source and foundation of the Mysteries [sacraments] and not the other way around. The Mysteries cannot be elevated above the Church or examined outside the Body of the Church. Because of this, in accordance with the mind of the Catholic Church of Christ, and in accordance with the whole of Orthodox Tradition, the Orthodox Church does not recognize the existence of other Mysteries outside of itself, neither does it recognize them as being mysteries, and one cannot receive the Mysteries until one comes away from the heretical “Churches,” that is to say the pseudo-Churches, through repentance to the Orthodox Church of Christ. Until then one remains outside the Church, un-united with it through repentance, and is, as far as the Church is concerned, a heretic and consequently outside the saving communion.” Fr Peter Heers discusses this in his ecclesiology class:

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
As I understand it, those who separated themselves from the Church no longer have the gifts granted through Apostolic Succession, nor the right to continue said Succession through the laying-on of hands. For a long time I considered Catholics and Anglicans to have Apostolic Succession, due to their spiritual lineages in the ancient past, but since one cannot be ordained by someone outside the Church, then the succession ceased immediately in the generation that cut itself off from said Church. If the Eucharist cannot be valid without a Bishop, then no group without Apostolic Succession can celebrate a valid Eucharist. That isn't to say that God cannot work with those outside the Church, as I am fairly sure that all of us who have ever left the house or spoken to other humans knows non-Orthodox who began to read their Bibles, go to their local parishes of whatever variety, and can attribute a change in heart and lifestyle to those activities. But they do not have the Mysteries (Sacraments) of the Church, because the Church is the Body of Christ.

Last edited:

Penitent

Woodpecker
Orthodox
This view is more common to Orthodoxy than you'd think. Knowing Abbot Tryphon, he doesn't make such a bold statement without understanding the full implications of what he is saying. Sometimes I think he likes to say things just for effect.

The Abbot's ruling hierarch monitors his blog posts closely, and would not hesitate to correct him if it was warranted. I still hold the beloved Abbot in high esteem.

Yallbeparticular

Sparrow
Orthodox
This view is more common to Orthodoxy than you'd think. Knowing Abbot Tryphon, he doesn't make such a bold statement without understanding the full implications of what he is saying. Sometimes I think he likes to say things just for effect.

The Abbot's ruling hierarch monitors his blog posts closely, and would not hesitate to correct him if it was warranted. I still hold the beloved Abbot in high esteem.
By this view do you mean the ecumenist view? Ecumenism is quite common among the orthodox if that’s what you’re referring to. Common doesn’t make it correct, though.

I also hold the Abbot in high esteem which is why I am troubled by the statement. And just because someone makes a statement I think is wrong doesn’t mean I completely write them off.

Penitent

Woodpecker
Orthodox
By this view do you mean the ecumenist view?
I mean the view that there is grace in the Catholic eucharist.

Fr. Seraphim Rose wrote about the "deposit of grace" that resided in non-Orthodox confessions, explaining that as time went on this grace has slowly been evaporating as they fall further away from the truth. By now these other confessions are just about bankrupt, but perhaps Abbot Tryphon is saying there may be some small amount of grace left. I'm not sure.

*Note that I'm not making a judgment on whether his statement is correct or not from a strictly theological perspective. Perhaps it is just a theological opinion (or theologoumena) which he explains in todays blog post:

Last edited:

Basilus of Moro

Sparrow
Orthodox
Abbot Tryphon is clearly a very nice, well intentioned man. But yes, he does seem to be an ecumenist. It is truly impossible to find a Holy Father who agrees with his statement on papist communion. Holy communion is the offering of the Church par excellence. How could the papists, who are outside of the Church, have holy communion? I did additionally find his defense of two formerly gay men (who were once in a "relationship) living together celibately very odd as well, and his claim that ecumenism isn't a problem anymore (both from his blog).

But some people know him personally, and who could speak ill of someone they know well enough and have benefited greatly from? If anyone here knows him, they would do well to lovingly correct this stance.