Advice in researching Bible variations ie. KJV vs. NASB/NABR, etc

guccigirl7

Pigeon
Woman
Other Christian
Good morning, lovelies! I was hoping someone could point me to a good research source on the Bible versions, I'm specifically interested in how the New American versions deviate from more classic versions, but if anyone knows of a great source/website/blog or thread here that delves into that, I'd greatly appreciate any direction or insight.
Blessings~

Hermetic Seal

Pelican
Orthodox
Gold Member
This is from an Orthodox perspective, but it's one of the most useful and concise articles in summarizing most of the issues involved without devolving into crazy fundamentalist KJV-Only territory. (Note that I love and prefer the KJV and NKJV translations, but some of the reasoning used by Onlyists is rather silly.)

An Orthodox Look at English Translations of the Bible

Particularly handy is how this explains the differences between the Byzantine text used for the New Testament, the basis of the KJV and NKJV translations, versus the Wescott-Hort revised text used for newer translations. Long story short, the Byzantine text is that traditionally used by the Church, while the revised text casts doubt on various passages based on modernist, liberal academic assumptions. The whole thing is well worth reading and very informative, as is usual from Father John Whiteford.

N°6

Hummingbird
Look up Dr Michael Heiser. This article is a good start:

Note that the 1948 Dead Sea scrolls modifications only reached the printing presses during the 1990s. This means that the older translations such as the KJV and NASB incorporate some academic guesswork which the scrolls have removed.

Pre Dead Sea scrolls I read KJV and NKJV; post Dead Sea scrolls I read the NRSV which is recommended by Protestants, Orthodoxy and RC.

Bible Hub online will show lots of translations to compare.

Atlas Shrugged

Woodpecker
Woman
Protestant
I have read several and like the ESV and the king James. But king James is more poetically beautiful and the ESV is easier to read but not dumbed down like a couple others. You just need to read several and see which one you will actually like and read. A study Bible is great.

guccigirl7

Pigeon
Woman
Other Christian
Thank you.
I read the KJV and NKJV, but I am trying to understand other people that are reading the newer versions..that is where my curiosity lies with the subject, I was hoping to find some places that analyzes the different interpretations, as I wonder if these American versions have anything to do with society’s lukewarm-ness and flexible morals. I will check out Bible hub. I agree, there is beauty in the classic versions

Atlas Shrugged

Woodpecker
Woman
Protestant
I’m sure there is something online that breaks them all down and the differences. I just had several different ones and realized the one I wanted to read and enjoyed was the one for me. I mean scholars could say this is the best Bible in the world but if you don’t pick it up is it the best for you? My bestie likes another version that I don’t like but it works for her and she reads it so that’s what’s important. As for the flexible morals I don’t think I’ve read any that change the morality. More like making it super easy for a kid to get instead of using bigger or not often used words. But I’ve only read about 6 different versions.

guccigirl7

Pigeon
Woman
Other Christian
I did find a blog last night that has done some footwork on the topic

Incase anyone stumbles on this thread with the same curiosity...I’ll update if I find more ..I’m just curious if any new translations have helped to get the world where it is today. The children’s versions are pretty good at the basic storyline lessons, atleast the few I’ve seen

Eusebius Erasmus

Ostrich
Orthodox
A readable modern version that still retains beauty is the New English Bible (NEB) -- not to be confused with the New English Translation (NET).

However, the NEB is Protestant, and therefore contains some errors. For those who are Catholic, the Jerusalem Bible may be of value.

The Resilient

Ostrich
Orthodox
Read this thread on the NIV 2011 Translation:
I knew it was a trash translation, but didn't know it was subversive !