All users can now change their username

Roosh

Cardinal
Edit: Looks like that the clock starts from when you register, which is not what I had intended. I'll have to rethink this further. In the meantime I set the time to a change every 2 years. Doing it less than that would probably lead to chaos. But if this leads to chaos then I will lengthen the time period.

The new software update now allows users to change their own username. To do so, go to your Account Details page and click the change button beside your username at the top (the "change reason" field is optional and does not need to be filled out). A mod will have to approve your change after you submit it, which may take up to 24 hours.

Four important notes:

1. You only get to change your username once every 2 years.

2. Your old username will be visible in your profile for 30 days after the change. (Members can click on the clock icon next to your username located in your profile.)

3. Take your time and choose very carefully. You only get one shot (every 2 years) to get this right. I cannot help you if you regret your new username.

4. If you are a gold member and have changed your username in the past, you can change your username once more.

With this new implementation, I will not honor any additional username requests by members.

Last edited:

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
Very Cool. The seasons change and some name renewal is fitting from time to time.

I like the 10 year rule, it keeps your work light and doesn't make it confusing with too many name changes.

Muscovite

Robin
Awesome thanks for letting us know.
How do I change the profile picture instead of just a letter?
This is from the FAQ Page

"I just signed up but I cannot start a new thread, upload an avatar, like posts, etc."

To combat spam and trolls, new members must go through a trial period where they can only reply to existing threads no more than once every 10 minutes. Once 14 days have passed and you accumulate 25 posts and you have received at least 10 likes to your posts, you will then become a member with full privileges. Here are other features you will not be able to do as a new member: post in the Politics subforum, report posts, react to posts, upload avatar, upload attachments, edit signature. You are a full member when you no longer see the "Newbie" banner under your name.

Tactician

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Hey, no plans to change my username, but I looked for fun. There's no change button & it said:

Username: Tactician
You may next change your username on or after October 11, 2024.
Looks like it's FOUR MORE YEARS
8834718-4x3-xlarge.jpg

Muscovite

Robin
Hey, no plans to change my username, but I looked for fun. There's no change button & it said:

Username: Tactician
You may next change your username on or after October 11, 2024.
Looks like it's FOUR MORE YEARS
8834718-4x3-xlarge.jpg
Strange! Mine says "You may next change your username on or after July 11, 2030." It looks like 10 years after I joined, but I've never changed my username.

Roosh

Cardinal
Can anyone who has been a member for less than ten years verify that it's possible to proceed with a change? I think there are software limitations I have to look at.

Roosh

Cardinal
So looks like that the clock starts from when you register, which is not what I had intended. I'll have to rethink this further. In the meantime I set the time to a change every 2 years. Doing it less than that would probably lead to chaos.