Alternative medicine in general (my cupping experience in particular).

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
What are everyone's thoughts on all types of "alternative" medicine?

I had a personal experience this spring with "cupping".

In late March, an area of my low back began to hurt intensely. It felt exactly as though I was on day 2 or 3 after throwing my back out (which I have done several times over the course of my life; but which I hadn't done this time.) The pain waxed and waned for several weeks before going suddenly and severely downhill. I got to the point where I could not get out of bed and walk a few steps without half crying/half screaming. It was one of the worst pains I have ever dealt with.

I went to an orthopedic walk-in clinic and they wrote me a prescription for muscle relaxers and a referral to PT. The muscle relaxers did virtually nothing. I was give a lower back support belt, which helped only minutely. Ibuprofen did nothing. Ice and heat did nothing. Massage helped the day of, but the pain returned.

My first two sessions of PT did nothing. The exercises that I was given the first week became unbearable.

On my third session of PT, my therapist recommended cupping. I had never had that done before in my life. Upon getting up from the table, it felt immediately quite a bit better; and over the next few days, the pain was 100% gone.

IDK if it was coincidence or not, but I would definitely try this method again and recommend that others at least give it a try.

Any other stories?

Mike_Key

Woodpecker
I'm sure many will give spiritual warnings on alternative medicines, which should be taken seriously.

I've found that stretching the IT Band properly always helps me avoid lower back pain.

https://belymbr.com/low-back-pain-your-it-band/

I try my best to do "ground work" or stretching every morning and/or every night prior to sleep.

Other solutions:

Buy a new bed mattress (don't sit on soft mattresses or bad furniture)
Bend knees when lifting (actually squat)
Ditch the pick-up truck with bad shocks/suspension

John 3:16

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
I'm sure many will give spiritual warnings on alternative medicines, which should be taken seriously.

I've found that stretching the IT Band properly always helps me avoid lower back pain.

https://belymbr.com/low-back-pain-your-it-band/

I try my best to do "ground work" or stretching every morning and/or every night prior to sleep.

Other solutions:

Buy a new bed mattress (don't sit on soft mattresses or bad furniture)
Bend knees when lifting (actually squat)
Ditch the pick-up truck with bad shocks/suspension

John 3:16
LOL @ the pick-up truck. :)

I definitely do need to get into a routine of stretching. I started throwing my back out when I was 37 and have done it three or four times total since then (five years later). It's terrible.

I know the spiritual side of yoga and have never been into that. I haven't heard anything in regards to cupping.
And yeah... a new mattress is something we ought to do, for sure. I started researching one a couple of months ago when this was all happening, but got so overwhelmed by the choices that I gave up...

GuitarVH

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
LOL @ the pick-up truck. :)

I definitely do need to get into a routine of stretching. I started throwing my back out when I was 37 and have done it three or four times total since then (five years later). It's terrible.

I know the spiritual side of yoga and have never been into that. I haven't heard anything in regards to cupping.
And yeah... a new mattress is something we ought to do, for sure. I started researching one a couple of months ago when this was all happening, but got so overwhelmed by the choices that I gave up...

I wouldn't refer to cupping as alternative medicine. Even Cedars-Sinai's website has an article about it. It's a simple physical technique that's been around for thousands of years. Nothing spiritual about it. If it works, keep doing it.

I would direct the spiritual warnings more to the current medical practices where the solution to most issues is poisoning the patient with toxic medications or in the case of "Covid", outright killing them with ventilators. Being poisoned or killed by Western medicine should definitely be avoided for one's spiritual and physical well-being.

During a cupping session, a practitioner places round cups directly on your skin. The cup is either first heated with fire or manually pumped to create a suction. The cups are then left on your skin for several minutes.

Cupping sounds fine.

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/blog/cupping-therapy.html