Alternative, privacy focused email providers similar to Gmail and 'promotional' mail

aynrus

Kingfisher
That's wired.
I will try it once again if LinuxMint 20.1 English version is installed.

But with 10 aliases available, one account is enough for me. :cool:

The IP stuff was only relevant while doing the sign up. Later on they didn't care anymore, but I registered with them 10 years ago.
If it doesn't allow creating more accounts, may be clearing cookies could help.
I usually try to separate accounts themselves. This way there's less chance of things getting compromised or flooded with spam. Separate for anything financial/banking/2 tiers - more and less important, another for online purchases, one for personal, one for official/government, burner accounts, etc.

After using protonmail I'm not happy about some stuff. I know some banks reject them and in general some domains don't work with them as they consider their IPs to come from the class where much spam comes from (at least this is the excuse). I tried to use it to register for one forum and never received confirmation email despite trying mutliple times. One time I tried to restore my lost protonmail password and it worked - but account contents got wiped out. It's good from security standpoint but bad for my needs. Plus, the government bans on them, means could be stuck without access to my stuff or not being able to login into a bank. Protonmail now has political statements posted supporting protests, which only fuels government bans more.
Email used to be a simple thing and without IP tracking BS.... and should be, hopefully gmx will work for me.

Last edited:

aynrus

Kingfisher
I couldn't login into GMX account using Opera VPN Europe server today. Closed the browser window, changed to Asia server and was able to login. Later logged out and logged in with normal US IP.
I'm starting to think GMX blocks some but not all VPN servers.

Bird

Kingfisher
Probably free Opera VPN isn't a good idea in general, even if you were able to register the account with it. The term "VPN" is also not true since it is more like a proxy.

aynrus

Kingfisher
Probably free Opera VPN isn't a good idea in general, even if you were able to register the account with it. The term "VPN" is also not true since it is more like a proxy.
I just don't want to have restrictions on type of VPN/proxy and IP in general I'm using.

aynrus

Kingfisher
Actually, it did let me login with Opera Europe VPN server after re-trying a couple of times, so doesn't seem like that IP is really banned.
I want to stress-test the account a bit.

aynrus

Kingfisher
The crooks who run Google had reached new lows... I have a gmail account which I haven't used in may be 7-8 months.
This email account never had any issues and login was kept highly secure/never used on public networks/etc.

So I tried to login today and entered correct password - it was ok with the password but asked for "recovery email" -
I typed correct recovery email - next, it asked for my phone number to text a "code" -
I gave it my phone number since I'm going to change it anyway soon, got a code/entered it -
next, it said "we're not sure it's you, can't login, try to login from some other device".
And this is logging in from US mobile phone number IP and no vpn used.
Time to de-google everything ASAP.

Last edited:

skullmask

Woodpecker
The crooks who run Google had reached new lows... I have a gmail account which I haven't used in may be 7-8 months.
This email account never had any issues and login was kept highly secure/never used on public networks/etc.

I know you don't want to pay for email or put together a simple mailserver, but if you had your own email server you wouldn't have had to deal with that crap.

I'm spending about $3.50 a month for the server host, and 10 bucks a year for the domain name. I'm willing to spend a little under $5 a month if it means I don't have to submit myself to Google screwing with me. Plus I have a personal website I can host things on. I could do stuff like host my collection of rare Pepes, or something.

Just sayin.

aynrus

Kingfisher
I know you don't want to pay for email or put together a simple mailserver, but if you had your own email server you wouldn't have had to deal with that crap.

I'm spending about $3.50 a month for the server host, and 10 bucks a year for the domain name. I'm willing to spend a little under $5 a month if it means I don't have to submit myself to Google screwing with me. Plus I have a personal website I can host things on. I could do stuff like host my collection of rare Pepes, or something.

Just sayin.
I have other email services, which are free and weren't locking me out, already removed gmail from important places...just don't need to pay for email, there're alternatives. (I was able to get into that account on my phone though)
I don't really need to pay for hosting/email, website - at least to the point where it'd need scalability requiring paid service, I have a free site, that's enough for my needs. I thought of buying a rightly-worded domain and paying for hosting in case I needed to host a QR-pointed site for fake vaxx cert, etc, that's the only situation I'd want to pay for anything. I have tons of free email accounts, probably dozens. This verification garabage really started with gmail and few years back. Gmail occasionally asked me for a phone number to get a text, but in 10 years I only had one prior incident of being completely locked out (I had dozens of accounts with them) - and I lead nomadic life, means new IPs all the time.

It seems like that KYC is intensifying and time to move on. As these old big monopolies become too interested in knowing you, there'll be others willing to take their place by not asking for too much. Paying for domain is less private because your financial info is on file somewhere, plus I'm adverse to the idea of "paying" for these things in general (just like I don't want to pay to run Linux), but another aspect is I never sign up for automatic billing, an as bad as I'm with remembering to pay I'd be without working email in no time. It's 21st century and email should be free and functional just like it was at the start of the Internet; the current dark ages of the internet will hopefully wane.
I don't know if it all moves into full-on China mode, though, something like phone and/or ID number to access not only any email but the internet itself.

Last edited: