Amazing Story of Catholic Convert (with glaring caveats)

Grow Bag

Woodpecker
The back story is I've been struggling with the question of switching denominations from Roman Catholic to Orthodoxy for the past 3 years and yesterday morning I prayed for direction in this decision. So I was rather surprised when the first video of the morning I played was a new video from James Delingpole interviewing Catholic convert Jonathan Myles-Lea. Initially it was incredibly inspiring as he related his story of being reconciled to his death from cancer and the graces he has received, but then he goes on to speak about all sorts of anti-Christian beliefs that are germane to my own story.

In it he talks about ayahuasca and magic mushroom use and other Joe Rogan-esque themed practices and ideas such as McKenna's Stoned Ape theory. These are things I've previously practiced and renounced. If that wasn't bad enough, he goes on talk about his interest in occultist Dionne Fortune, the kabbalah and having psychic abilities, again, all of which are a tight fit with my own story. This has left me very confused as I took it as being significant that I should hear such a story directly after my morning prayer asking for direction.

The back story is I've been struggling with the question of switching denominations from Roman Catholic to Orthodoxy for the past 3 years and yesterday morning I prayed for direction in this decision. So I was rather surprised when the first video of the morning I played was a new video from James Delingpole interviewing Catholic convert Jonathan Myles-Lea. Initially it was incredibly inspiring as he related his story of being reconciled to his death from cancer and the graces he has received, but then he goes on to speak about all sorts of anti-Christian beliefs that are germane to my own story.

In it he talks about ayahuasca and magic mushroom use and other Joe Rogan-esque themed practices and ideas such as McKenna's Stoned Ape theory. These are things I've previously practiced and renounced. If that wasn't bad enough, he goes on talk about his interest in occultist Dionne Fortune, the kabbalah and having psychic abilities, again, all of which are a tight fit with my own story. This has left me very confused as I took it as being significant that I should hear such a story directly after my morning prayer asking for direction.
Hi

Not sure how I found this post. I am listening to this same interview. Haven't finished it yet but like you, was initially inspired and then had that 'oh no' thought in my mind when I heard him talking about new-age stuff.

I see you are struggling with the Catholic Church and whether to switch to Orthodox or not. I am born and bred a Catholic but can say that I only truly appreciated 'my faith' about 18 months ago (I turn 49 next week). I have some great Christian friends who are not Catholic and they challenged by belief in the Catholic church and some even believe it's sending people to hell. What it taught me though was the fact that I didn't know my faith very well at all. I was almost ready to leave after my friends shared some convincing youtube talks, some articles etc. However, before I decided to leave, I also prayed about it and found some wonderful answers. Suffice to say, 18 months later, I am still in the Catholic church and now knowing that it is truly the church that Jesus handed down 2,000 years ago. I think a lot of Catholics go wrong for several reasons:

Not knowing the true teachings of the faith
Not reading the Bible or Catechism
Not knowing the history of the church and how it is backed up scripturally
Not knowing the differences between the Catholic Churches teachings and other Christian denominations

Some great resources / Catholic Apologetics

Steve Ray (www.catholicconvert.com)
Dr Scott Hahn (he is on many youtube videos)
www.catholicanswers.com (website and podcast)
Apologist - Trent Horn (has a podcast called council of trent)
Matt Fradd - (podcast - Pints with Aquinas)
Jeff Cavins (podcast - the Jeff Cavins Show) he has a great testimony on youtube

The above have some great testimonies and defend the Catholic Church really well. There is a proper answer for every objection to the church.

I pray that you will find the truth and peace.

God bless!

Seamus Ryan
(Melbourne Australia)