Amazon / Walmart / Target / Bigbox Alternative Sites

homersheineken

Kingfisher
Instead of complaining how Big Tech has gotten billions of dollars of bailout money plus the elimination of many competitors while still spending money there, I thought it would be good to start a thread of other sites that offer good deals.

Avoid feeding the Beasts!

Jünger

Ostrich
The post family-owned Swanson to me was interchangeable with iHerb / Lucky Vitamin / Puritan's Pride / Vitacost, etc.

I gave up and just went to GNC or Vitamin Shoppe.

Last edited:
Second the link above for Tooltopia -- bought from them a few months ago and it went well, and their prices meet or beat Amazon.

For American Made Tools (including closeout inventories) - Harry Epstein: Link

Small appliances, Kitchen stuff, food dryers, etc - Pleasant Hill Grain Co: Link

Country type stuff - Lehman's Hardware: Link

Science kits and tools for the kids - Home Science Tools: Link

Inexpensive electronic parts, cables, components, etc. - MPJA : Link

Almost everything an industrial plant would ever need - McMaster-Carr - Link

Also,

Woodworking tools and hardware - Lee-Valley: Link

Metalworking tools and supplies - KBC: Link

If you're into reloading - Grafs: Link

Gun Scopes - Optics Planet: Link

Camping Supplies - Campmor: Link

Shaving Supplies - West Coast Shaving. Show Gillette you're a real man by going with a double edged razor and getting rid of plastic disposable cartridges. And save money in the process: Link

This site has multiple made-in-USA items, including clothing - Made in USA: Link

Electronics (cameras, stereos, tablets, etc,) - B&H Photo (usually matches Amazon): Link

Car and Home audio and TVs - Crutchfield: Link

Christian books and religious goods - Christianbook.com: Link

Nuts and other snacks - Nuts.Com: Link

Kitchen Knives - Rada Cutlery: Link

For any third party item of interest you see on Amazon, check eBay for the same item and seller. Found something the other day that my son wanted from amazon on eBay. Same price, same free shipping, and same seller, but no Jeff Bezos.

Knives: Knife-Depot: Link

Some more book sources:

Art, Philosophy, and Religion (Catholic and Orthodox) - Eighth Day Books: Link This store may be upsetting - so many great books and there is not enough time to read them all in a lifetime.

Catholic Books - Ignatius Press: Link

More Catholic Books - Angelus Press: Link

Given the recent events, for me at least, it is simply immoral to purposely contribute to the wealth of Amazon.

Checked just now and my last order from them was last June. Looking forward to Amazon free being a yearly anniversary. Also, went there just now and deleted about 25 reviews I had made over the years. One does what one can.

Some more alternate sources:

Pet Supplies - Chewy: Link The wife has bought from them before. But, look locally first--a lot of towns have independent pet supply stores.

Books - Thrift Books: Link

Groceries / Bulk Items - Boxed: Link Have not bought from them, but recently came across them

Last edited:

joost

Kingfisher
Amazon alternative is aliexpress.com

Most of the products you see on Amazon you'll find on Ali Express. Instead of paying a premium for faster delivery you pay less and shipping is free. Even for items as low as $5. If you don't mind waiting 2 weeks to get a product, buy from them instead.

A nice place to buy electronics is B&H Photo. The trick is getting their Payboo credit card so you don't have to pay sales tax. You can save tons of money. You can do it in a few minutes before the purchase. Apply and you'll get a temporary number so you can shop instantly.

PaulC

Robin
A nice place to buy electronics is B&H Photo. The trick is getting their Payboo credit card so you don't have to pay sales tax. You can save tons of money. You can do it in a few minutes before the purchase. Apply and you'll get a temporary number so you can shop instantly.
Blimie and Herman's store has a good selection. Just don't try to make a return during the High Holy Days. Closed.

iu.jpeg

Roosh

Cardinal
Amazon alternative is aliexpress.com

Most of the products you see on Amazon you'll find on Ali Express. Instead of paying a premium for faster delivery you pay less and shipping is free. Even for items as low as $5. If you don't mind waiting 2 weeks to get a product, buy from them instead.

It's the same Chinese junk but it seems to cut out the Bezos/Amazon/Walmart middle man. Ideally it would be nice if Americans made this stuff.

For pillows, towels, and bedding: My Pillow

The owner of that company spent 5 minutes talking to Trump some time back, so the people of tolerance and diversity pressured Khols and Bed Bath and Beyond into dropping his products.

Kind of got me irate, so I decided to buy a new pillow for my wife. Got an email today saying they were sorry, but due to increased demand it would take two extra weeks to ship. In the meantime, Khols and Bed Bath and Beyond are two places I will never set foot in again. I thought Bed Bath and Beyond was pretty badly over priced to begin with.

Speaking of the big-box stores, farm stores (Rural King, etc.) are usually pretty good places to shop. Tractor Supply seems to be mainly Chinese junk. Menards, when I lived near one a couple of years ago, was pretty good.

I have ordered from B&H several times, and have always had good luck with them. I would use them over Amazon any day of the week.