Amazon / Walmart / Target / Bigbox Alternative Sites

Athanasius

Pelican
Does anyone have recommendations for where to buy hygiene supplies like (sensitive teeth) toothpaste, deodorants, soap, etc? A small business is a must; Christian or based is a plus.

Last edited:

kel

Ostrich
Dunno if they're Christian, but I bought soap from here for the lulz/because I'm not on enough lists already: https://www.mightywhitesoapco.com/

Toothpaste you can make do with baking soda. Personally I don't wear deodorant because I work a sit-down job and when I'm active at the gym or biking somewhere I shower afterwards, but there are recipes. Dunno how well they work.

Hypno

Crow
new and used books - bookfinder.com - often the best deal is on eBay or a non-Amazon site.

groceries - Lidl, Aldi (German)

Hardware, tools - Harbor Freight (Chinese)

Miscellaneous stuff - kitchen supplies, greeting cards, cleaning supplies - Dollar Store (Chinese).

Furniture - Facebook marketplace, Craigslist.

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
new and used books - bookfinder.com - often the best deal is on eBay or a non-Amazon site.

groceries - Lidl, Aldi (German)

Hardware, tools - Harbor Freight (Chinese)

Miscellaneous stuff - kitchen supplies, greeting cards, cleaning supplies - Dollar Store (Chinese).

Furniture - Facebook marketplace, Craigslist.
Not to rain on your parade, but how does that one help? Germany is just as terrible a globohomo communist dictatorship as USA.

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
Well it doesn't concentrate with Bezos and leaves more money in your pocket.

But please tell us the perfect place that is cheaper and doesn't fund the beast. We are waiting.
Well I'm from Croatia, where we still have small and medium local supermarket chains whose owners I am able to see in person walking throughout my neighborhood like any other citizen, so I might be spoiled for choice. For example, here I make a point of avoiding the globohomo monsters of Lidl and Kaufland and shop at the local ones instead, making a point to buy Croatian products whenever possible.

However, here is a huge list of hundreds of local and regional supermarket chains in the USA - surely there must be at least one of them somewhere reasonably close to you and not steeped in globohomo?

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Aldi is a great supermarket from a consumer perspective. Very good prices for extremely high quality meats, vegetables, fruits and dairy products.

In my area I dont have much choice. Its either Walmart or Aldi. During the summer there are farmer's markets and some Amish stores that sell bread and things like that, but for most things I shop at Aldi.

Conservatives need to build their own regional supermarket chains, it looks like too. No rest for the weary.

Garuda

Kingfisher
One supermarket I like to go to is Fresh Thyme Farmer's Market. It's a mostly organic chain that offers an alternative to Whole Foods.

When I was a kid, there was this super swank regional chain called Byerly's that had plush red carpets and chandeliers and sold real obscure stuff but since it merged with Lund's, it toned down a lot. My parents only went there at holiday time though.

Does anyone else shop at Micro Center for their tech needs? They're mostly located in the midwest and northeast. I find it funny that when all the other big tech chains decided not to carry the latest AMD processors and etc at launch due to Covid, it decided that bots and scalpers were a bigger problem and only sells them in store.

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
So I wanted to get some stuff from Overstock instead of Amazon but found out that, for some absolutely insane reason that is beyond comprehension, they don't ship to Croatia:

Of course, you could say "well, Croatia is not such an important country", but they have taken their time to organize shipping to tiny countries of Slovenia, Montenegro and Macedonia, which are all located in the same region as Croatia, but are much smaller and have similar levels of purchasing power.

1615487015291.png

The most ridiculous detail here is that any goods shipped to Montenegro would have to pass through Croatia to get to their destination!

But wait, it gets better. They will also happily ship to remote corners of the world like Marshall Islands and Vanuatu... but common, EU Croatia? Uh-oh, sorry sir, that's too far away for us.

1615487052609.png

Heck, they will even ship to war-torn shitholes like Congo and Zimbabwe and places with no addresses or postal systems like Chad, but Croatia? No, no, god-forbid you nasty Slavs with funny surnames buy a decent value for money chandelier and turn it into a weapon of mass destruction.

Idiotic stuff like this is the reason why the big globalist corporations dominate the market. They may be evil and rely on corrupting governments to get favors for themselves, but at least they don't shoot themselves in the foot from the very beginning.

Castelnau

Kingfisher
I stopped buying Kindle books. I use to get like 3 books a month for around 1.99-4.99 but I will just borrow from the library or buy the paper version from now on. Haven't bought from Amazon in like 3 months.

These days I buy most of my books from Amazon. Normally, though, I often used to go to bookstores. As I am a collector of literature, I used to go to antique shops to get old books, but cuz of Covid this is obviously not an option.