Anger

Sinabelus

Sparrow
I have a problem with anger and it’s not good. At least for me. I look at the world and i dont have the right word to describe how lost and evil and hopeless i feel it is. I read some story about some stupid trans or gay thing related to kids and I internally flip out. It’s not good for the body. In my head that anger turns into me going all terminator on everyone so that’s probably why God has not granted me superpowers. I’d be zapping humans left and right. Only thing that helps bring me down is prayer. Obviously. But that’s not the top of my sin list. I pray all the time to be less judgmental cause I really cannot stand male/female sluts and morbidly obese people. That also sets me off. I know, more prayer. Because they are Gods children too. I just can’t be around them. I can’t wait to have a log cabin in the woods. I need to start saving for that cause earth is not getting any better. I’ll add you to my ever increasing prayer notecards. Please pray for me as well. Thanks.
I don't think it is "evil" anger, I myself am angry at the world and its degeneracy. But obviously getting too emotionally invested in such issues is not constructive, such is a pitfall for women compared to men. About being judgmental I think there's a fine line between too much and not enough. Obese people and sluts (male or female) are that way because everybody refuses to explicitly judge them on it, btw see how the degenerates break down and demand "safe spaces" whenever the slightest criticism arises.

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
Anger is either healthy righteous anger against sin and the evil doer,
or it is sinful anger leading into rage.

False guilt over righteous anger can be dangerous.
@Sinabelus Your post on why and how videogames can be a healthy outlet, especially in my view for anger and rage furthered my understanding. I've always been against the addiction of it but wondered if it had any redeeming elements in a non-ideal, emasculated world. And I like how you articulate that introverts benefit from gaming.

Atlas Shrugged

Robin
Woman
Do you mean all people are God's children?
Yes. Whether we choose to believe in Him and follow Him is another story. God doesn’t want any of His children to perish, but many will. Every human was made in His image, and Jesus died for every human that lived and will live. I think children best fits what I mean. But I truly dislike many of them.

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
I struggle with self-control during anger myself, it's probably my worst deadly sin. I'm also not helped by the fact that I have a really acid tongue and have been known to really hurt relatives & friends if I start ranting and say things I can't take back. (When this was worse, I would actually think of insults to use later if I got into an argument with someone that I'd been butting heads with. I'd almost rehearse the conversation in advance.)

Mine stems from the fact that I've felt like I was dealt a bad break in life, and have never had it easy. I sit around thinking about how much further along I'd be now if I were luckier and had had a more stable upbringing. It's toxic, but at least I know where the source of the problem is, and it's been improving.

Finding the source is useful, it gives you a sense of perspective. Although learning how to deal with it comes when you let go of your pride - which is hard when it comes to anger, since it feels SO good to release it.
"For these and a million other reasons non-Statist patriotic Americans are angry. Further patriots believe that if people are not angry then the ‘non-angry ones’ have undergone the equivalence of a moral lobotomy. Only the condition of being a moral zombie could account for a rational and sane person not being angry right now.

So yes we are angry, but it is only because we love so deeply. Perhaps we should all be reminded that anger over the loss of liberty is no vice and equanimity in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
A Time for Anger
ironink.org

I think having a dislike for obese people and being somewhat angry at them is not really much of a sin. Most obese people display their gluttony openly. Additionally, humans should not have 50 kg of excess fat on their structure.

I had and sometimes still have an anger problem. I am somewhat of a dominant personality. This can lead to pride. I have realized that it really is better to just avoid the situation that makes you angry for some time to not say something in the heat of things. Ultimately, what helps me, too, is that I know I will have to go to confession again, if I get into an anger fit. This kind of gives me an incentive to shut up :D

Mrs.DanielH

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
I had a dark few months in college where I was entrenched in anger and it was consuming and exhausting me. I will write some quotes from the book "Thirty Steps to Heaven" from various saints on the topic of anger and it's opposing virtue (meekness).
From St. John Climacus "I have seen people delivered from passion by the very fact that they had flared up then poured out their long-stored grievance and, in addition, they got from their offender either some reparation or some explanation for what had caused the long-standing grievance. On the other hand, I have seen men who appeared to be displaying stolid patience, but who, in reality, were silently harboring resentment within themselves. These, it seems to me, were much more to be pitied than the men prone to explosions of temper."
St. John Cassian "If we take St. Paul literally, then we are not allowed to cling to our anger for even a day (Eph 4:26). I would like to make a comment, however, that many people are so embittered and furious when they are in a state of anger, that they not only cling to their anger for a day, but drag it on for weeks. I am at a loss for words to explain those who do not even vent their anger in speech but erect a barrier of sullen silence around them and distill the bitter poison of their hearts until it finally destroys them. They could not have understood how important it is to avoid anger, not merely externally, but even in our thoughts, because it darkens our intellect with bitterness and cuts it off from the radiance of spiritual understanding and discernment by depriving it of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit."
St. John Climacus again "A sign of utter meekness is to have a heart that is peacefully and lovingly disposed toward someone who has been offensive, and a sure proof of a hot temper is that a man, even when he is alone, should with word and gesture continue to rage and fulminate against some absent person who has given offense...Anger is an indication of concealed hatred, of grievance nursed."
Then there is a section called "pride as the root of anger". More words from St. John Climacus "Freedom from anger is an endless wish for dishonor, whereas among the vainglorious there is a limitless thirst for praise. Freedom from anger is a triumph over one's nature. It is the ability to be impervious to insults, and comes by hard work and the sweat of one's brow. Nothing is so out of place in a penitent as an unruly spirit, for conversion requires great humility, and anger is an indication of all kinds of presumptuousness." He goes on to list the three stages of freedom from anger: "The first step towards freedom from anger is to keep the lips silent when the heart is stirred; the next, to keep thoughts silent when the soul is upset; the last, to be calm when unclean winds are blowing." St. John Climacus also has some prescriptions for anger: "Singing, in moderation, can occasionally ease bad temper. But if it is untimely and immoderate, it may open the path to pleasure. The first stage to blessed patience is to accept dishonor with bitterness and anguish of soul. The intermediate stage is to be free from pain amid all such things. The perfect stage, if that is attainable, is to think of dishonor as praise."
St. John Climacus also writes from Anger's perspective, " I come from many sources and I have more than one father. My mothers are vainglory, avarice, greed. And lust too. My father is named conceit. My daughters have the names remembrance of wrongs, hate, hostility, and self-justification. The enemies who have imprisoned me are the opposite virtues-freedom from anger and lowliness, while humility lays a trap for me. As for humility, ask in due time who it is that bore her."

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
For some reason my past two PMS episodes have been genuinely awful. I haven't had it this bad since I was 12 or so and every emotion was *amplified*

I think a lot of therapy/mental health is garbage but CBT techniques are pretty useful in this case-- trying to replace negative emotions with positive ones.

Sinabelus

Sparrow
@Sinabelus Your post on why and how videogames can be a healthy outlet, especially in my view for anger and rage furthered my understanding. I've always been against the addiction of it but wondered if it had any redeeming elements in a non-ideal, emasculated world. And I like how you articulate that introverts benefit from gaming.
Thank you for the appreciation, it was actually quite a personal post because of how stories, and among them many told in video games, had a part in the building of my character, and still do though more rarely. Unfortunately we live in times of addictions of all counts, and temperance is a virtue most often forgotten. Irealis worlds and among them video games are very prone to be addictive because they give you an escape from this absurd world, but in the end nothing but Christ offers lasting peace.

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
had a part in the building of my character,
I would never have guessed that about gaming being character building!
Do you know what causes video games addiction? I read some time ago about blue light technology's effect.

Yes, only the peace of Christ surpasses all understanding.

DanielaEverheart

Sparrow
Woman
Does anybody else struggle with this sin? It's one where I feel ashamed when I approach God to pray because I've struggled with it for a long time and when I think it is getting better, one thing can tip me over the edge. I know most psychologists say "find the source of your anger" and maybe that is true to some extent, but I believe it is a spiritual battle. Not only this, when I'm angry I am capable of saying nasty things, as opposed to say a member of my family who has trouble saying mean things even during an angry episode.
Uuffff ... thanks for sharing. Anger, sadly it's a Fuel. I don't like lashing, cursing and stuff like that, but I tend to bottle things and explode. I'm trying to work on not being melancholic-spiteful, and also I've renounced heavy metal (anger-inducing process met with some delight) music for some time (I couldn't help but listen to the intro of "Unforgiven" by Metallica on the radio but turned from it out of commitment). Let's us not forget: God Is Faithful. He knows your heart. He supplies our every need (yes, even erotic) and He's so good *teary eyes*. Hope you have a wonderful night <3

DanielaEverheart

Sparrow
Woman
Thank you for the appreciation, it was actually quite a personal post because of how stories, and among them many told in video games, had a part in the building of my character, and still do though more rarely. Unfortunately we live in times of addictions of all counts, and temperance is a virtue most often forgotten. Irealis worlds and among them video games are very prone to be addictive because they give you an escape from this absurd world, but in the end nothing but Christ offers lasting peace.
Amen

Sinabelus

Sparrow
I would never have guessed that about gaming being character building!
Do you know what causes video games addiction? I read some time ago about blue light technology's effect.

Yes, only the peace of Christ surpasses all understanding.
Indeed the impact of video games has been mostly positive on my life so far. It gave me skills, in that I don't do esports but I am a programmer and though I was interested in CS before gaming very young, I actually began learning it by making minecraft mods, which to me was a major creative outlet at the time. Minecraft is an especially important game of my childhood, as it fostered my creativity in countless ways.
Another important game is Skyrim, and I recently watch a video of someone who analyses movies, games and in general stories and their philosophical parts. There is a concept, which I think was coined by C. G. Jung, about two types of spaces : the sacred and the profane. The profane is your everyday space, whereas the sacred is special : churches are sacred spaces for christian societies, but sacred spaces can for individuals as well, like your childhood garden, etc. All this to say that in the video, the author was expanding the thesis that for many people, Skyrim being a world imbued at its core with meaning made it a sacred space. I must say this is true for me ; I feel at ease playing Skyrim, and especially listening to the OST makes me long for it as it would for a beloved place of my childhood. I think games like Skyrim grew my hunger for meaning, which ultimately brought to me the ultimate meaning of Christ's sacrifice.
There are more games obviously but those two are pretty major. Also, I was blessed with having hard limits to my playtime which prevented it from becoming excessive. There's also my personality I guess, which meant I didn't really want to play "dumb" games.

I don't know much about blue light technology, would you mind expanding on it? I know about the effects on melatonin and sleep quality, but about addiction this would be news. I think addiction comes from many factors, which depend on the person. I know my flatmate who is an old friend of mine struggles with the sheer visual stimulation they offer, but he's someone very in tune with his material senses so it makes sense. For myself, I sometimes struggle with two types of games : strategy games and RPG / story games. The first is because of the intellectual stimulation and sense of accomplishment, the second because of the relief and inherent meaning in those games.
Strategy games are very good too for building skills and overall useful thinking processes, but indeed one has to remind oneself that the accomplishments are virtual.
The second kind is closer to what I said earlier with irrealis (is it actually a valid word? I think I borrowed it from linguistics and the irrealis tense lol) worlds. Basically in games like Skyrim, The Witcher 3 or others you're offered an espace from this absurd world, and usually you are offered a meaningful world, where your actions are useful and you have "quests" which are basically tangible guidelines for achieving your goals, but they don't exist in the real world, sadly. These games are useful for the sheer experience that they provide, which makes one (or should make one) ponder about the nature of our world by comparison. When I was young I wondered what was so great about Skyrim's world, what made me feel so serene playing it. Now I know it was meaning, and thus I always strive to achieve meaning in my life, above earthly pleasure and other things. As with all games, however, one ought not to linger too much in those worlds lest they drown in them.
On the subject of Skyrim, I can link you the video I was speaking about earlier : Almost all of the videos on this channel are masterpieces, save for two or three which are a bit too political in nature, and given he is neither christian nor very well-informed on the lies of the current world, the advice is usually misguided. This is the case for the last video IIRC.

Indeed the impact of video games has been mostly positive on my life so far. It gave me skills, in that I don't do esports but I am a programmer and though I was interested in CS before gaming very young, I actually began learning it by making minecraft mods, which to me was a major creative outlet at the time. Minecraft is an especially important game of my childhood, as it fostered my creativity in countless ways.
Another important game is Skyrim, and I recently watch a video of someone who analyses movies, games and in general stories and their philosophical parts. There is a concept, which I think was coined by C. G. Jung, about two types of spaces : the sacred and the profane. The profane is your everyday space, whereas the sacred is special : churches are sacred spaces for christian societies, but sacred spaces can for individuals as well, like your childhood garden, etc. All this to say that in the video, the author was expanding the thesis that for many people, Skyrim being a world imbued at its core with meaning made it a sacred space. I must say this is true for me ; I feel at ease playing Skyrim, and especially listening to the OST makes me long for it as it would for a beloved place of my childhood. I think games like Skyrim grew my hunger for meaning, which ultimately brought to me the ultimate meaning of Christ's sacrifice.
There are more games obviously but those two are pretty major. Also, I was blessed with having hard limits to my playtime which prevented it from becoming excessive. There's also my personality I guess, which meant I didn't really want to play "dumb" games.

I don't know much about blue light technology, would you mind expanding on it? I know about the effects on melatonin and sleep quality, but about addiction this would be news. I think addiction comes from many factors, which depend on the person. I know my flatmate who is an old friend of mine struggles with the sheer visual stimulation they offer, but he's someone very in tune with his material senses so it makes sense. For myself, I sometimes struggle with two types of games : strategy games and RPG / story games. The first is because of the intellectual stimulation and sense of accomplishment, the second because of the relief and inherent meaning in those games.
Strategy games are very good too for building skills and overall useful thinking processes, but indeed one has to remind oneself that the accomplishments are virtual.
The second kind is closer to what I said earlier with irrealis (is it actually a valid word? I think I borrowed it from linguistics and the irrealis tense lol) worlds. Basically in games like Skyrim, The Witcher 3 or others you're offered an espace from this absurd world, and usually you are offered a meaningful world, where your actions are useful and you have "quests" which are basically tangible guidelines for achieving your goals, but they don't exist in the real world, sadly. These games are useful for the sheer experience that they provide, which makes one (or should make one) ponder about the nature of our world by comparison. When I was young I wondered what was so great about Skyrim's world, what made me feel so serene playing it. Now I know it was meaning, and thus I always strive to achieve meaning in my life, above earthly pleasure and other things. As with all games, however, one ought not to linger too much in those worlds lest they drown in them.
On the subject of Skyrim, I can link you the video I was speaking about earlier : Almost all of the videos on this channel are masterpieces, save for two or three which are a bit too political in nature, and given he is neither christian nor very well-informed on the lies of the current world, the advice is usually misguided. This is the case for the last video IIRC.
This is a very knitpicky analysis. I reckon I could count on one hand how many people have found Christ through video games. Most video games are highly addictive. So much so that young males get so enthralled with the virtual they decide to crossdress like their favourite (female) characters. Additionally, many video games enhance grave sin, such as the aforementioned anger, lust, gorging on violence and straight delusion. Let us not forget it really helps you get even lazier and smoke muh weed.
Yeah, quests in video games are not present in reality. However, the tasks of a man are. And that is to be a spiritual leader of the household. To accomplish this he has to attract a good wife and have many children with her and then to serve God in tandem with his family. Video games are mostly a huge waste of time, as I can attest to myself, just make you stray further from what matters and make you effeminate. The state of a young male hunching over a pc playing a female character with big, fake tits while swinging a sword, is so undignified.

Sinabelus

Sparrow
This is a very knitpicky analysis. I reckon I could count on one hand how many people have found Christ through video games. Most video games are highly addictive. So much so that young males get so enthralled with the virtual they decide to crossdress like their favourite (female) characters. Additionally, many video games enhance grave sin, such as the aforementioned anger, lust, gorging on violence and straight delusion. Let us not forget it really helps you get even lazier and smoke muh weed.
Yeah, quests in video games are not present in reality. However, the tasks of a man are. And that is to be a spiritual leader of the household. To accomplish this he has to attract a good wife and have many children with her and then to serve God in tandem with his family. Video games are mostly a huge waste of time, as I can attest to myself, just make you stray further from what matters and make you effeminate. The state of a young male hunching over a pc playing a female character with big, fake tits while swinging a sword, is so undignified.
We don't disagree. One has to exercise cautious judgment or refrain entirely ; besides I didn't find Christ through video games, they helped in building my character in a way to made me well disposed to spiritual matters. Many things take precedence over video games, as they should : family, God, etc. But when you have some free time a smart session of playing is not a bad thing.

The young males falling into video games is a common trope which you must have gotten from Peterson. He's not wrong of course, but had video games not then be there these males would have fallen in drugs or other coping mechanisms anyway, and would have been as lazy. The problem is the state of our absurd world, not video games per se. Besides not everyone crossdresses or does degenerate stuff from video games, that's kind of a straw man. Not everyone plays female characters with fake tits either.

The fact that you seem to have had a bad experience with video games speaks more about you than it does about video games, in my opinion. Whether you have an personality prone to addiction, sin, laziness or anything you mention I don't know, but certainly video games are not the actual cause. You wouldn't say we ought to ban all books because some are poison for the mind?

We don't disagree. One has to exercise cautious judgment or refrain entirely ; besides I didn't find Christ through video games, they helped in building my character in a way to made me well disposed to spiritual matters. Many things take precedence over video games, as they should : family, God, etc. But when you have some free time a smart session of playing is not a bad thing.

The young males falling into video games is a common trope which you must have gotten from Peterson. He's not wrong of course, but had video games not then be there these males would have fallen in drugs or other coping mechanisms anyway, and would have been as lazy. The problem is the state of our absurd world, not video games per se. Besides not everyone crossdresses or does degenerate stuff from video games, that's kind of a straw man. Not everyone plays female characters with fake tits either.

The fact that you seem to have had a bad experience with video games speaks more about you than it does about video games, in my opinion. Whether you have an personality prone to addiction, sin, laziness or anything you mention I don't know, but certainly video games are not the actual cause. You wouldn't say we ought to ban all books because some are poison for the mind?
We obviously do disagree, because you keep rationalizing, how useful video games are and use ad hominem arguments. I did not have a particularly bad experience with video games, just an absolute average one. They are a huge waste of time, they lead you away from God and what is important, are addictive and lead you to sin, as stated above. When a grown man has free time, he should be reading, learning and spending time with his family. It is ridiculous stating that video games teach you that much. They just do not. Rather they are highly repetitive. My examples were obviously hyperbolical in nature and meant to be somewhat funny. Went right over your head. By the way, saying video games per se are not the problem, is like saying pornography per se is not the problem, but our urges. And that last paragraph is not only an ad hominem, but a literal straw man.
Bottom point is that I think you are rationalizing your gaming way too much. But I do not want to get too argumentative here anyway, as that is against the rules.

Zep

Pelican
Hey thanks for your response. How would one even start trying to find the pain/anger? Process of deep self-reflection, perhaps?

A cautious yes, a capacity for introspection differs from person to person and then there is the trickery of the mind to lead a person away from very painful knowledge.

You said if you don't voice your anger you feel defeated, okay so this is good, your anger is protecting your spirit, I'd thank your anger...and inch closer to it to get to know it. I'd do this, sit down comfortably with no distractions, close your eyes and say inwardly "thanks anger for protecting me, I appreciate it".Try imagining it as a spirit, or a color, or a form, doesn't matter, could be a steel box, or a hot red cloud, doesn't matter, just start, the spirt world communicates in a different way, outside of language, so keep that in mind and allow forms to arise and don't try to analyze or control them if they arise. You will do that after the fact anyways. The point is to give it some form so you can inch closer to it and it will reveal things to you that you might not have thought of.

Feeling "defeated" is painful, no wonder you get angry to prevent this. But it would be nice to be free of feeling defeated. Seems like you may have been humiliated in the past, maybe a parent put you down, or someone assaulted you, or a high-school event left you feeling painfully worthless, or a relationship, or someone you're close to died? loss can leave you feeling defeated too.