Anonymous donations?

Stadtaffe

Woodpecker
Gold Member
You probably need to be a higher profile thought criminal or actual criminal for someone to go to the expense of deanonymising bitcoin to get you, but here is an article which describes just such a case:

The arrest of Bitcoin Fog's administrator based on blockchain analysis represents just how far back in time investigators can reach with those "follow the money" techniques, says Sarah Meiklejohn, a computer scientist at University College of London whose work pioneered Bitcoin-tracing techniques in 2013. "With blockchain analytics the thing we say over and over is that all this activity is on this ledger forever, and if you did something bad 10 years ago you can be caught and arrested for it today," says Meiklejohn. "The fact that they're pulling up those transactions is really significant."

I did use to work in cybersecurity and take in interest in this stuff as it is fun from the technology standpoint and also because it is getting increasingly annoying that big brother is watching you and I am getting quite upset and angry to see all kinds of good people getting deplatformed and demonetized, and going from bank to bank which denies them service. Maybe they will eventually attack the audience not just the creators, especially those who show their support. We need more freedom not less. Prior to fifty or a hundred years ago, there would not have been an electronic trail every time someone spends or receives money, it would have been more anonymous than it usually is today. You cannot uninvent something and that includes not only the traditional electronic payments but also the cryptocurrencies. Just that as I am now learning they are truly not all the same when it comes to anonymity.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Gold Member
You probably need to be a higher profile thought criminal or actual criminal for someone to go to the expense of deanonymising bitcoin to get you, but here is an article which describes just such a case:

The arrest of Bitcoin Fog's administrator based on blockchain analysis represents just how far back in time investigators can reach with those "follow the money" techniques, says Sarah Meiklejohn, a computer scientist at University College of London whose work pioneered Bitcoin-tracing techniques in 2013. "With blockchain analytics the thing we say over and over is that all this activity is on this ledger forever, and if you did something bad 10 years ago you can be caught and arrested for it today," says Meiklejohn. "The fact that they're pulling up those transactions is really significant."

I did use to work in cybersecurity and take in interest in this stuff as it is fun from the technology standpoint and also because it is getting increasingly annoying that big brother is watching you and I am getting quite upset and angry to see all kinds of good people getting deplatformed and demonetized, and going from bank to bank which denies them service. Maybe they will eventually attack the audience not just the creators, especially those who show their support. We need more freedom not less. Prior to fifty or a hundred years ago, there would not have been an electronic trail every time someone spends or receives money, it would have been more anonymous than it usually is today. You cannot uninvent something and that includes not only the traditional electronic payments but also the cryptocurrencies. Just that as I am now learning they are truly not all the same when it comes to anonymity.
It's widely known that custodial mixers like Bitcoin Fog are compromised at best, honeypots at worst. I see no mention of using an open source mixing algorithm like Samourai. Just because they can "break" one defense, doesn't mean all defense is worthless.