Any of you guys MMA fans?

budoslavic

Crow
Gold Member
renotime said:
Higgs Bosun said:
Gustaffson's body looked like shit. He's a 6'5 guy having to make weight in a 205 weight class but he's got the flab of a skinny-fat phaggot walking out of the Swedish Buttplug Convention? At his height and weight he should be chiseled or he's leaving massive amount of lean muscle mass on the table.
Fedor is one of the greatest fighters of all time and yet he looks like he eats a box of donuts a day.

And guys like Silva and Nate Diaz don't exactly have muscular physiques, but can fuck dudes up.

My guess is this they mainly focus on technique and cardio and don't hit the weights all that often.
I'm a big fan of Fedor Emelianenko. He is one of the greatest MMA fighters, IMO. His training regimens and/or programs were designed to focus on martial arts techniques - i.e., accuracy, reflex, timing, footwork. hip throws, etc.

Captain Gh

Ostrich
Gold Member
Higgs Bosun said:
Gustaffson's body looked like shit. He's a 6'5 guy having to make weight in a 205 weight class but he's got the flab of a skinny-fat phaggot walking out of the Swedish Buttplug Convention? At his height and weight he should be chiseled or he's leaving massive amount of lean muscle mass on the table.
[attachment=40973]
[attachment=40974]

Is he Ripped... Nha! But truly see nothing wrong with his Physique! To be Honest, Alex should be fighting at Middleweight... but he's not the type to deplete himself he keeps it real Diaz style! Down there he would be ripped though... and would spank everyone

Attachments

renotime said:
Higgs Bosun said:
Fedor is one of the greatest fighters of all time and yet he looks like he eats a box of donuts a day.

And guys like Silva and Nate Diaz don't exactly have muscular physiques, but can fuck dudes up.

My guess is this they mainly focus on technique and cardio and don't hit the weights all that often.
Fedor fought as a heavyweight where you don't have to "make weight," so he faced no tradeoff between lean muscle mass and his total weight. A 6'5 guy like Gustaffson who is coming in right at the 205 weight limit for light-heavyweights is obviously making a tradeoff between flab and lean muscle mass. Prime Anderson Silva was so utterly dominant that he could afford to leave muscle mass on the table and still crush the opposition. Gustaffson was 18-4 prior to this fight, so he should have learned his lesson that he's not elite enough to be able to afford coming into fights with anything less than his best possible physique.

Thot Leader

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Speaking of amazing fighters that didn't have amazing physiques, anyone else think BJ Penn should have retired a few years ago? It's just getting hard to watch at this point.

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
Higgs Bosun said:
renotime said:
Higgs Bosun said:

Fedor fought as a heavyweight where you don't have to "make weight," so he faced no tradeoff between lean muscle mass and his total weight. A 6'5 guy like Gustaffson who is coming in right at the 205 weight limit for light-heavyweights is obviously making a tradeoff between flab and lean muscle mass. Prime Anderson Silva was so utterly dominant that he could afford to leave muscle mass on the table and still crush the opposition. Gustaffson was 18-4 prior to this fight, so he should have learned his lesson that he's not elite enough to be able to afford coming into fights with anything less than his best possible physique.
Is a great physique conducive to making you a great mma fighter though?

Jones is probably the best fighter of all time and I don't think his body fat is below 10 percent.

Gus was the only guy to give Jones real trouble since Vitor Belfort got Jones in an arm bar while on TRT. Some think Gus won the first fight.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
Robbie Lawler was robbed..... but that slam and ground and pound around the 30 second mark really wets my whistle

TravelerKai

Peacock
Gold Member
Cr33pin said:
Robbie Lawler was robbed..... but that slam and ground and pound around the 30 second mark really wets my whistle
He wasn't robbed at all.

The way it works when you ref a MMA fight, is that you have to see the guy that is getting choked, continue to work. Robbie dropped his arm at the 1:24 mark. He then did not pick up his hand to continue to resist.

I would have stopped the fight the exact same time the ref did. Since there is music I cannot tell if the ref called out Robbie's name either to make sure he was still there or not. Usually you want to do a quick call out before stopping the guy doing the choke.

Also, Herb Dean is hands down the best referee in MMA, in the world. He is not the kind of ref that misses calls or has poor judgement. He used to fight too. Guys like that make the best refs usually.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
TravelerKai said:
Cr33pin said:
He wasn't robbed at all.

The way it works when you ref a MMA fight, is that you have to see the guy that is getting choked, continue to work. Robbie dropped his arm at the 1:24 mark. He then did not pick up his hand to continue to resist.

I would have stopped the fight the exact same time the ref did. Since there is music I cannot tell if the ref called out Robbie's name either to make sure he was still there or not. Usually you want to do a quick call out before stopping the guy doing the choke.

Also, Herb Dean is hands down the best referee in MMA, in the world. He is not the kind of ref that misses calls or has poor judgement. He used to fight too. Guys like that make the best refs usually.
We will have to agree to disagree. The "choke" wasn't even around his neck and Robbie gave the thumbs up while Herb started to stop the fight. Of course Robbie dropped his arm.... what good was it doing him straight up in the air in a awkward position?

A more justified stoppage would have been when Robbie was ground and pounding the fuck out of Ben

Fortis said:
Rush87 said:
If you're not cheating, you're not trying.
This is my view as well.

I triggered this BJJ/MMA fighter guy hard when I told him, "no one watches UFC for ethics. The average fan secretly admires JJ for being a horrible person and STILL at the top of the game."

This "fighter" was whining on and on about how JJ doesn't deserve this and that because he's not a good guy. Ironically, many fighters are the most idealistic about what the sport should be. They forget that UFC is a damn business. The wheels on the bus go round 'n' round because of controversy and brutality, not ethics. If guys want to watch the Nicest Fighters Championship then I really don't know what to tell them.

I'm not a fighter and have no real interest in fighting in the UFC or any sort of tournament format. Unfortunate or not, the people spending the most money on the sport also really don't give a shit. If anything, they like it more since they are presented with the opportunity to possibly see JJ lose (even though they know he won't).

Despite being a reprehensible human being, JJ is an absolute joy to watch and that's ultimately why he gets special treatment.

Honestly, who here wouldn't cheat if it meant you get millions of dollars when you win. Guys who say they wouldn't cheat are obviously not trying to win.
Pride had a much more honourable polish, fake or not, and still sold to the masses like hamburgers. JJ is a scumbag and should answer for his eyepoking to the UFC and for his DUI's and hit and runs to the justice
A fighting promotion doesn't have to be a middle school teacher babysitting adult athletes, but to look the other way or even give benefits to jackasses like Jones, McGregor or Mayweather turns your events into a shitshow

Pride had it right, make PEDs legal and harshly punish the other kind of cheaters. Stop focusing on the thrash talking bullshit and focus on dynamic rules for awesome fighting
Btw, no one treated Mike Tyson with kids gloves when he bit Hollyfield, and his trash talking and asshole personality was something that complimented his fighting, not the opposite

TravelerKai

Peacock
Gold Member
Cr33pin said:
TravelerKai said:
Cr33pin said:
He wasn't robbed at all.

We will have to agree to disagree. The "choke" wasn't even around his neck and Robbie gave the thumbs up while Herb started to stop the fight. Of course Robbie dropped his arm.... what good was it doing him straight up in the air in a awkward position?

A more justified stoppage would have been when Robbie was ground and pounding the fuck out of Ben
I do not see a thumbs up in the video. Also when he dropped his arm it was limp, a red flag. Also, it is up to the ref that if someone is not fighting back intelligently or attempting to escape correctly, to stop the fight. If you cannot put up an intelligent defense the fight will be stopped on feet, chokes, via strikes, etc. no exceptions, fighter safety comes first.

The reason why he did not stop the fight over the ground and pound was because Ben still had full guard, back was arched, and his forehead was coming forward. They teach us (at least at the Texas Boxing Commission and likely in the NBC as well) that if the fighters head lays flat and 1-2 strikes are given and the head does not come back off the mat, to stop the fight.

Fortis

Crow
Gold Member
I see a limp Lawler as well. Also a choke DOES NOT have to be completed around the neck. There are all sorts of weirdness that professionals can pull off that look magical to normal guys.

He has Lawler in a bulldog choke and it's a blood choke.

My theory is that Lawler went out for like 1 second and doesn't know he did. That can easily happen.

In person, I've seen guys at BJJ tournaments get choked out for a second or two and then pop up like nothing happened and argue with the ref about it.

Honestly, everyone is saying Lawler looked great, but he couldn't finish no-hands Askren with a vicious ground and pound? He's not gonna be able to Tee off on any else in the division like that. He will get countered punched hard for that sort of bellicosity.

His attack and body slam looked beautiful but it ultimately was a waste of energy. I suspect his days are numbered against the rest of the WW division if he couldn't beat a pure wrestler with the number of strikes he was launching.

Fortis

Crow
Gold Member
Teutatis said:
Fortis said:
Rush87 said:
If you're not cheating, you're not trying.
This is my view as well.
That's the mindset of the weak.

The UFC is a clown show, we have drugged up butch lesbians fighting each other, drugged up cheaters fighting against clean fighters and being praised for cheating, because if you don't cheat you're an idiot that's not trying.

This is why I pretty much don't watch any sports at all, it's all fake.
Please show me a 100% roid free champ after the advent and proliferation of roids.

I'll be waiting.

:tard:

TravelerKai

Peacock
Gold Member
Fortis said:
I see a limp Lawler as well. Also a choke DOES NOT have to be completed around the neck. There are all sorts of weirdness that professionals can pull off that look magical to normal guys.

He has Lawler in a bulldog choke and it's a blood choke.

My theory is that Lawler went out for like 1 second and doesn't know he did. That can easily happen.

In person, I've seen guys at BJJ tournaments get choked out for a second or two and then pop up like nothing happened and argue with the ref about it.

Honestly, everyone is saying Lawler looked great, but he couldn't finish no-hands Askren with a vicious ground and pound? He's not gonna be able to Tee off on any else in the division like that. He will get countered punched hard for that sort of bellicosity.

His attack and body slam looked beautiful but it ultimately was a waste of energy. I suspect his days are numbered against the rest of the WW division if he couldn't beat a pure wrestler with the number of strikes he was launching.
A blood choke basically means that 1 or both of the carotid arteries in the neck got closed off. This cuts off blood flow (oxygen) to the brain. No oxygen, no ability to think clearly. In the video he certainly had a 100% close off on the right carotid artery and quite possibly a partial windpipe close.

Strong Greco Roman and Freestyle wrestlers give the tightest bulldog chokes in the business. Ben Askren is certainly in that realm. Even if he is not doing it technically 100% correct, he is so fucking strong that he can do what we call "Muscle in the Choke". Matt Hughes was so country strong and could do stuff like that too, although he rarely did. Randy Couture or Chael Sonnen are other examples.

Wrestlers that are so strong they can muscle in poor technique chokes are very dangerous because they can close off all the other veins pumping blood to your head, that in effect, it was alot like they closed both carotid arteries. Also, those kinds of guys damage your nerves in your neck because they squeeze so damn hard, that it was like having a Chinese Martial Artist that has mastered pressure points, meridians, etc. stab several critical areas all at once. Some wrestlers are so technically poor at rear naked chokes that they instead stretch your spine out forcing you to tap even though you were not choking.

A wrestler turned MMA fighter or Submission Wrestler can be VERY dangerous in the right situations. Even BJJ guys have to be careful not to get caught in crushes, awkward chokes, and bad pins. Happens ALL the time.

Show of hands. Who has seen a wrestler put on a shitty looking kimora, but because of the violent way he pushes the guy's arm out, he has no choice but to tap out? Maybe some of you have had it happen to you. I know I have.

TravelerKai said:
Strong Greco Roman and Freestyle wrestlers give the tightest bulldog chokes in the business. Ben Askren is certainly in that realm. Even if he is not doing it technically 100% correct, he is so fucking strong that he can do what we call "Muscle in the Choke".

TravelerKai

Peacock
Gold Member
Mr. said:
TravelerKai said:
Strong Greco Roman and Freestyle wrestlers give the tightest bulldog chokes in the business. Ben Askren is certainly in that realm. Even if he is not doing it technically 100% correct, he is so fucking strong that he can do what we call "Muscle in the Choke".
COT DAMN!

Cr33pin you gotta change your mind after this. I had no idea that dude could crush melons like that. Ben is a freak.