Anyone working remotely in an accounting/finance related role? I would love to learn about your experiences.
I need to find the time to get the CPA licensing sorted out. I feel like it'll put me in a better position to work remotely in the future.
I somewhat fit this bill. Can try to answer questions.
Thanks. Please feel free to not respond to any questions that you consider to be sensitive/confidential.\
1. Did you secure a remote position or transitioned into remote role?
2. If you do freelance accounting work, did you build your own client base from scratch or did you take clients with you from your office job?
3. Even if you don’t have a CPA, have you heard of freelancers/folks working as remote CPAs? I see blog posts and mentions here and there.
4. Any unique accounting/finance related specific challenges? Have to show up at the office for Audits? Due diligence in an M&A?
I have a growing Real Estate business, however I really like to have a steady cash flow. After plotting my escape from the day job every year and turning back (fear of loss of income, W-2 wages come in handy for mortgages/bank financing), my game plan is now:
1. Start taking the CPA exams.
2. Work on a business plan (go freelance vs. work for a company).
Obviously, this is a simplified version of what I expect to be a very time consuming process (prepping and taking the CPA exams, finding a remote position or going freelance).
Ultimately, what I am looking for is experiences of other finance and accounting professionals who have been able to make the jump to remote.
My ideal scenario would be to make decent money working remotely so that I can continue to focus on Real Estate investing and living in lower cost/warmer locales (Boston is painfully expensive).