Any others struggling with wokeness in the Catholic church? How to deal with it?

paternos

Kingfisher
Catholic
Lately in my parish wokeness is entering in the homilies of our priests, and I'm struggling with that.

First to be said I feel at home in the Catholic church, the lithurgy, the monastries, the monks, the art, the saints, the gospel, the diversity in thought, the bible, the latin mass, the intellectuals, the senses.

But lately in the homilies of our priests, things come up that make we doubt on the spiritual alignment of the current church, the constant donations for the war in Ukraine, referring to diversity of religions praying to the same God, the priests referring that all religions need to work together we can create a better world and save the climate, separate youth celebrations, the referring to refugees as the stranger we need to help.

And while being focused on the things above, we see less funds for our own parish, less attention for the newcomer, the stranger in our own church, less attention for the old people that could use some help, the missionary work to be done in our own cities, not addressing sins as anti-conception, abortion and there is no addressing of the perversions pushed by our politicians that are fully unchristian, let alone the sacrament of confession which is not actively promoted.

Somebody once said it well to me, I want a priest that guides me to heaven, and I have doubt the current focus will take me there.

Are you observing similar things? And if how do you address it? How do you deal with it yourself?

BasilSeal

Kingfisher
Trad Catholic
Gold Member
How many other Catholic churches in the area have you tried? As there are so many such issues all at your particular church, it is probably time to look at nearby alternatives.

paternos

Kingfisher
Catholic
How many other Catholic churches in the area have you tried? As there are so many such issues all at your particular church, it is probably time to look at nearby alternatives.
I tried a few (they were not better). I think I need to try a few more and also be willing to travel a distance. I also find it hard as I know a lot of people in my parish and am quite active here.

BasilSeal

Kingfisher
Trad Catholic
Gold Member
Maybe they're just as unhappy with it as you are. Take a few Sundays to do some recon elsewhere. You may stumble upon one that is more conservative and traditionally minded. I never had much allegiance to a specific parish.

paternos

Kingfisher
Catholic
Is your parish a NO or TLM one? I am sensing it's the former.
NO (in Latin though), closest church for me with Tridentine mass is a 1 1/2 hour drive.
I'm OK with the Novus Ordo mass personally. And had that in a beautiful way, really depends on the priest.
But still, there's no need to put up with all that in either or any church.
Think this is it. Even though it might not be weekly possible. I need to find good a church / priest for faith and visit regularly. It is of life importance. And still I can contribute to my local parish.

Thanks for thinking with me.

TheosisSeeker

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
Lately in my parish wokeness is entering in the homilies of our priests, and I'm struggling with that.

First to be said I feel at home in the Catholic church, the lithurgy, the monastries, the monks, the art, the saints, the gospel, the diversity in thought, the bible, the latin mass, the intellectuals, the senses.

But lately in the homilies of our priests, things come up that make we doubt on the spiritual alignment of the current church, the constant donations for the war in Ukraine, referring to diversity of religions praying to the same God, the priests referring that all religions need to work together we can create a better world and save the climate, separate youth celebrations, the referring to refugees as the stranger we need to help.

And while being focused on the things above, we see less funds for our own parish, less attention for the newcomer, the stranger in our own church, less attention for the old people that could use some help, the missionary work to be done in our own cities, not addressing sins as anti-conception, abortion and there is no addressing of the perversions pushed by our politicians that are fully unchristian, let alone the sacrament of confession which is not actively promoted.

Somebody once said it well to me, I want a priest that guides me to heaven, and I have doubt the current focus will take me there.

Are you observing similar things? And if how do you address it? How do you deal with it yourself?

The Catholic churches and groups in my area have become totally woke and unrecognizable. One of the main reasons I looked into Orthodoxy.

2 Right Hands

Woodpecker
Catholic
NO (in Latin though), closest church for me with Tridentine mass is a 1 1/2 hour drive.
I'm OK with the Novus Ordo mass personally. And had that in a beautiful way, really depends on the priest.

Think this is it. Even though it might not be weekly possible. I need to find good a church / priest for faith and visit regularly. It is of life importance. And still I can contribute to my local parish.

Thanks for thinking with me.
I am not TLM purist and agree that a NO mass can be beautiful too but I somehow cannot imagine a TLM priest being woke. 1.5 hour drive is quite a lot though but if it's not too expensive for you, give it a try maybe once a month? I would definitely look for a different NO parish closer to where you live and, who knows, you might end up finding a based priest.

Uprising

Sparrow
Trad Catholic
I drive 50 mins one way to get to my SSPX church, even though there is a NO parish 5 mins away. I know many people in the church who drive much longer. There’s no such thing as wokeness in the SSPX. My priest and I regularly talk about the Great Reset. He told the congregation at the start of the scamdemic not to get the clot shot. In such troubled times as this, there’s a duty for every Catholic to find a traditional church and community. Convenience just doesn’t cut it anymore.

Uprising

Sparrow
Trad Catholic
Wokesism and modernism is a fad. It’s mostly held by the dying Woodstock generation. The traditional Catholic movement is young and highly motivated and committed. Its membership is growing every year. Look, our Mother the Catholic Church, is sick. It’s not right to leave her in one of her darkest moments to suffer alone. We need to double down in our service of Her. There are many traditional Catholic parishes where you can do that, and you won’t find any of the rot of modernism in them. You will only find devout Catholics practicing the faith of our ancestors and our saints.

Biscuits_Gravy

Woodpecker
Catholic
Wokesism and modernism is a fad. It’s mostly held by the dying Woodstock generation. The traditional Catholic movement is young and highly motivated and committed. Its membership is growing every year. Look, our Mother the Catholic Church, is sick. It’s not right to leave her in one of her darkest moments to suffer alone. We need to double down in our service of Her. There are many traditional Catholic parishes where you can do that, and you won’t find any of the rot of modernism in them. You will only find devout Catholics practicing the faith of our ancestors and our saints.
Great post. To the original poster, I have very much witnessed this in many parishes. I live in a large diocese and have found maybe 2 parishes that don’t make me feel like I attended a woke parade when I walk out. Even then it depends on the week usually. And you are right, the homilies become basically another sales pitch for globalism, some old guy priest telling a story about his car breaking down, or some thing like a writing from the Dalai Lama or sadly the current Pope that is just a feel good word soup with no substance.

I also agree that, while I agree parish life is very important, the key is to find that good, sturdy and reliable place to enter the sacraments. Even if there isn’t a coffee hour, you’re still sharing bond of communion. God willing, all of us Christians, even the very apparently misdirected, can get through these times with our faith grown stronger. God Bless.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Catholic
Gold Member
If your parish is succumbing to modernism there are only two options. #1 - stay and hope to change things. #2 - leave.

I don't think it's possible to change your parish. I have never heard of changes being led by the laity. When parishes experience culture changes, it's because the pastor changes, not the congregation.

Eric Sammons agrees in this video/podcast:

#2 is likely the best option. Like many other posters mention, you may be "OK" with the new mass, but it's clear from your post that you are not happy with the fruits of it. And because preaching and spiritual direction you receive from your priest is arguably as important as the liturgy, you are within your rights to look elsewhere.

BasilSeal

Kingfisher
Trad Catholic
Gold Member
I like this. The guidance for Catholics must be grounded in faith, hope, and charity. Giving up in despair is not what the Lord asks of us. We all have a role to play in the restoration of Christ's church. We are called to be both vocal and active. God allows difficulties, we should embrace those opportunities that test us.

We know

Chicken
Orthodox Inquirer
We have to accept that every worldly institution is fallen to some extent. If you look at the sequence of history, the direction the Catholic Church took is no surprise. Started from a worldly power conflict in 1054, resulting in a primary worldly political/financial power dynasty, the Vatican has always had its eyes on the world. Then the protestants came, and with righteous critique, split. The problem with protestantism became the lack of hierarchy. The result is that there is no objective truth, and everyone can interpret whatever as they like. The vast difference in protestant stances has resulted in wokeness in many Western Protestant churches. I would say more from an ideological perspective: due to the lack of central authority, modern ideas can sip through easily. For the Vatican however, it was just a matter of time before Satan got this worldly institution in its clenches. It has been well documented that secret societies, and certain groups such as the Jews, have heavily influenced the Vatican, especially in the 20th century, with Vatican 2 as central event. Overall the conclusion is clear: the further you drift from the Church Fathers, and the Church as it was just after Christ, the further you'll drift from objective Truth. Any progression or change is a progression away from Christ, and into the arms of the fallen world.

We know.

Pete345

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I remember I was sitting in Catholic mass with family members (who are not Orthodox), when I was visiting Italy at Christmas...either 2015 or 2016, and instead of giving a traditional birth of Christ our Saviour homily, the priest lectured the congregation about how "Jesus was a refugee too", and how we are supposed to accept them. I was floored...Even in Italy they pull this. I knew the RC church was going leftist/Protestant since Vatican II, but this was ridiculous. I don't know why anyone stays in the Novus Ordo parishes. Tridentine Mass I can understand...it is a beautiful service and the parishes are usually not woke.

Last edited:

BasilSeal

Kingfisher
Trad Catholic
Gold Member
The reason is because not every Novus Ordo parish is as described by @paternos. In fact, the new mass can be quite appealing because it is accessible. Especially to children, converts, and the elderly. I have forty-seven years of experience with the Novus Ordo, and less than six months with a Tridentine mass. The new mass continues to face growing pains even after four decades; settling into a consistent, yet approachable style that limits the ability of any particular priest to bring in elements that are outside the church. Some day I will make a list of the changes I have witnessed in four decades in the presentation of the Mass. As witness to both, I see ample evidence that the Novus Ordo mass has progressively incorporated more and more elements of the traditional Latin mass over time. There is a significant difference, too, in the presentation of the morning daily Mass and the Sunday Mass. At the daily mass, I routinely see (at a Novus Ordo church), veiled women, parishioners kneeling on the floor to take the Eucharist on the tongue, and Latin prayers. This is not uncommon. I would not be surprised to see that trend continue. The move, however, is only in one direction. It is from the Novus Ordo mass TO the Latin Mass, because the traditional Latin Mass has been preserved, and will not move. So, if you are looking for optimism, there is the evidence for it. Pick up a book on the mass printed in the 1930s, and you will be able to use it for every prayer and follow along with every aspect of the Mass today, without having to make any adjustments. No words are skipped, nothing has changed. As long as the TLM exists, and the Novus Ordo mass continues to move back in this direction as a whole (the topic at hand being the exception), there is a lot on which we can trust in God's plan for the church in faith, hope, and charity.