Any others struggling with wokeness in the Catholic church? How to deal with it?

Good_Shepherd

Kingfisher
Orthodox Catechumen
When I was in my old protestant church I had the same feelings and dislikes about what was going on in my church, in the Orthodox church I attend now Iv never heard any of those things mentioned they dont even come to mind at all, the electricity went out during the service I didnt even notice any difference besides a few lights that went off but there was still candle light

Good_Shepherd

Kingfisher
Orthodox Catechumen
I had a similar experience during one early morning low Mass, where there was an intense thunderstorm with lightning, and the power went out several times. The Mass continued, and there wasn't a single comment made about it.
How come your Catholic church seems to be different to the the one here?

NoMoreTO

Hummingbird
Catholic
I'm sponsoring a relative of mine for his Sacrament of Confirmation. He is doing his lessons through the local Novus Ordo, and while I wouldn't call it woke, it's pretty cheesy and really missing the mark on an opportunity to catechize kids who really barely know (don't know) the basic plot line.

Grow Bag

Pelican
Catholic
The latest wokeward moves (Synod 2021 to 2023) of the RCC and much more is discussed by these 2 Catholic converts in depth. Lots of food for thought if, like me, you enjoy deep dives. Long, but worth a listen.

Mercury

Sparrow
Catholic
This!!!1

You frequently hear conservative, Benedict XVI types say "oh the new and old masses should come together and learn from one another." Sure. But what is there for the old mass to borrow from the new? Nothing.
I attend one of the N.O. parishes that had their Latin mass suppressed by the bishop. Now, that said we run a Novus Ordo mass with the following: consecration ad orientem in Latin, Latin our father and responses. Readings are in English. It was the way Vatican II intended...some vernacular with heavy focus on Latin and tradition.

The mass of Pope Paul 6th is where things went off the rails and in my opinion the source of guitar clown liturgy.

SonofTuribius

Pigeon
Catholic
Lately in my parish wokeness is entering in the homilies of our priests, and I'm struggling with that.

First to be said I feel at home in the Catholic church, the lithurgy, the monastries, the monks, the art, the saints, the gospel, the diversity in thought, the bible, the latin mass, the intellectuals, the senses.

But lately in the homilies of our priests, things come up that make we doubt on the spiritual alignment of the current church, the constant donations for the war in Ukraine, referring to diversity of religions praying to the same God, the priests referring that all religions need to work together we can create a better world and save the climate, separate youth celebrations, the referring to refugees as the stranger we need to help.

And while being focused on the things above, we see less funds for our own parish, less attention for the newcomer, the stranger in our own church, less attention for the old people that could use some help, the missionary work to be done in our own cities, not addressing sins as anti-conception, abortion and there is no addressing of the perversions pushed by our politicians that are fully unchristian, let alone the sacrament of confession which is not actively promoted.

Somebody once said it well to me, I want a priest that guides me to heaven, and I have doubt the current focus will take me there.

Are you observing similar things? And if how do you address it? How do you deal with it yourself?
Allow me to share my thoughts with you brother. Nowadays our reasoning in matters of God and Church can easily become dominated by the usual commercial criteria of our modern societies. Following the trail of "religious consumption" we can find ourselves looking for a "more estimulating Mass", a "more estimulating Priest" or even (going to the extreme) a "more estimulating church". This attitude of "religious consumption" tends to be self-centered and to obviate higher truths (like the Miracle of the Eucharist), tends to see the local parrish and even the Liturgy as something that is meant to entice our sensibilities, not as participation in Our Lord's Sacrifice nor as participation in Our Lord's Body in the Church.

To put it in other words, we can easily put ourselves above our local parrish community (the slice of the Church that God has put near us) and even above the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. As a fellow sinner my advice for you would be to ponder why is it that God has put you in that community, not what you can receive through it but what can you do for it, what does God want you to do for His Church in that place. Take that to your prayers and try to communicate with your fellow christians, maybe they feel the same way that you do or maybe if you share your impressions in Truth and Charity there can be spiritual benefit for the whole community. Don't be affraid to state your opinion, maybe that's the use that God has for you in that place. Everyone in your local parrish is your brother in Christ, a part of your spiritual family and you should try to look after them even in disagreement.

Surely there are extreme situations in which leaving is a more reasonable option, for example if your priest is committing excesses with the Body of Christ during the Transubstantiation or if he rejects it alltogether. But even in those situations I believe it is our duty to at least talk to the priest in question and our brothers in the church, giving them the help of "fraternal correction" that has always been a trait of us christians. We must always act in Truth and Charity, just fleeing the scene or perusing parrishes I would say is not the christian thing to do.

Lastly, if the situation in your local area is really dire, maybe you can reach out to https://opusdei.org/ and see if there are any OD priests or parrishes in town or nearby where you can go. Opus Dei has taken a lot of heat since God put it in this earth but I can attest to you that there's a reason why God inspired his work in these times, we Catholics need all the help we can get not to fall into neither of 2 extremes, modernism and traditionalism.

I hope you find this helpful, may the Lord bless your quest.

Enhanced Eddie

Pelican
Other Christian
Gold Member
I saw last week that the pope urged all Catholics to take the vaccine. That for me was the last straw. How many sincere Christians has he killed and maimed with this one statement?

To me Covid was a real separation of the wheat from the chaff, a true litmus test. My church stayed open during covid, and my priest did not take the vaccine. He just laughed when I asked him about it, which is why I chose this congregation.

I'm not currently in ROCOR but I think overall it's the best choice. It has the best track record on covid with, according to one of Roosh's streams, 93% of churches remaining open during corona hoax.

Острог

Robin
Orthodox
I saw last week that the pope urged all Catholics to take the vaccine. That for me was the last straw. How many sincere Christians has he killed and maimed with this one statement?

To me Covid was a real separation of the wheat from the chaff, a true litmus test. My church stayed open during covid, and my priest did not take the vaccine. He just laughed when I asked him about it, which is why I chose this congregation.

I'm not currently in ROCOR but I think overall it's the best choice. It has the best track record on covid with, according to one of Roosh's streams, 93% of churches remaining open during corona hoax.
It's more. Being in the RCC you have no choice but to fully recognize the Pope according to canon law. Otherwise you're not Catholic. Only a mad man agrees with Francis's heresies. A conversion is necessary.

abraham

Chicken
Catholic
We have everything here from TLM to extremely modern goofball liturgies. I just moved so still trying to figure out the wide range but I suspect the current Bishop inherited this mess. The Eucharist being the source and summit while the liturgy is not, I've found a local parish that isn't too distracting. Obviously the TLM is more beautiful and edifying but I don't want to get too attached to liturgy and aesthetics so I only attend on occasion. That and the priests need our help. They need our prayers and fasting and speaking of the truth. I happen to be in a position to know many priests across the state and many are working with (fighting) the local parishioners to return to a semblance of tradition. Many are trying to reinstall alter rails and do worship ad orientum. It's a lot of destruction to repair and it doesn't happen over night. It is happening though. As Fr. encouraged on All Saints day, if you want to see change then be the change. It's us against the blue hairs on the parish councils, they can't live forever. Plus most of them got vaxxed so problem solved in a couple years. White pill moment.

2 Right Hands

Woodpecker
Catholic

So ROCOR is the best choice because in your opinion it's more based than Catholic Church? Is that really the right criteria for a Christian to chose their denomination? What if in 10 or 20 years ROCOR becomes subverted too and starts mandating some weird thing? Will you turn to Islam then?

Northumber

Sparrow
Protestant
Are bishops expected to be more holy than the lay person in the Catholic Church? I assume this is a misperception. Also, how are the monastics holding up to the wokeness/"new sacrament" of the vaxx?

BasilSeal

Kingfisher
Trad Catholic
Gold Member
Are bishops expected to be more holy than the lay person in the Catholic Church? I assume this is a misperception. Also, how are the monastics holding up to the wokeness/"new sacrament" of the vaxx?

I like this article and this author, and it may answer some of your questions (as it relates to the nature of holiness). I can't answer your other question, because I do not know the answer. I suspect that, as with the population writ large, the decision to take or not to take any vaccine is likely a very personal one.

BasilSeal

Kingfisher
Trad Catholic
Gold Member
Is it possible to preserve everything About the Traditional Latin Mass but spoken in King James English?

Many TLM parishes translate the epistle and the gospel into english prior to the homily, and also offer a latin/english missal. So, I am not sure I see the benefit, though I suspect that it is certainly "possible". The prayers at Mass apart from the readings that are in Latin are going to be the same day after day, week after week, year after year. At some point, no translation is required. A little effort on the part of the laity to follow along in the missal is not a bad thing. Many of the prayers are intentionally inaudible, in any case. Furthermore, there is very little for the laity to "say" at the Latin Mass. This is very different from a Novus Ordo mass, where there is significant spoken participation.

Last edited: