Anybody here own a firearm?

Subtext

Sparrow
CaptainChardonnay said:
Who needs a bump stock :banana:



Don't you worry, broski, those are next. Some "lone wolf" shooter will use them to kill a few people, and a certain posse of politicians will make it their next target.

I am unable to count my guns on one hand. For handguns, I dabble in .380 and .45, with some .44 black powder action. For rifles, I stick with the good old 5.56 and the underrated 7.62x54. Rifles are my bread and butter.
 

General Mayhem

Kingfisher
Anyone here have any experience with the FEG MOD PJK-9HP?

feg-pjk-9hp.gif
 

RWIsrael

Woodpecker
Jewish
I used to have a Glock 19-C and a Sig P226 at different point in my life.
At the moment I'm living in the ban-happy UK so am not carrying.

I liked the SIG, but it's hard to get used to first round in Double Action and the next ones in Single Action.

I also didn't care for how the sights are set up, where you have to completely cover the Point of Aim with the front sight or your shots go low. They call it "Combat Sight" and I can see the merits, especially with the glowing night sights, but I personally do not like it.

The Glock "half n half" sight (where the top of the front sight line up just under the center of your target instead of covering it) was better for me.

sightimages.jpg


Image 1 = "Lamp Post (mostly relevant for competition shooting)
Image 2 = "Half and half" (Glock, most 1911 handguns and rifles)
Image 3 = "Combat Sight" (Sig and probably others)

To each their own I guess
 

General Stalin

Crow
Gold Member
You can always pull the hammer back manually when you go to fire your first shot so your trigger pull is consistent. Also you can adjust/replace the sites on sig p226 so it indexes how you want.
 
I have been getting back into guns again this past year. I grew up hunting and shooting a lot and was seriously into guns but didn't have one while I lived in a non-gun friendly city for a long time. I now have the tinnitus to prove it. Eyes and ears fellas. I did not serve in the military and 95% of my experience is with shotguns and pistols, although I'm hanging out a lot with some ex-Navy guys and one took me to shoot a full auto pre-ban M-16 and gave me some instruction on how to handle the muzzle rise.

I think I'm going to get a carbine and take some training. I have a friend of a friend of a friend situation with John Lovell of Warrior Poet Society fame so I think I'm going to take his rifle/carbine course (sometimes he comes off a bit strong but I hear he is a good instructor).

I got my Conceal Carry license and have been carrying a Shield 9mm with an extended mag. Smaller and I seem to shoot it well. small enough for summer carry with my gym shorts also. My kybex holster barely releases when drawing from the gym shorts so I need to get that figured out. I have practiced on a standard range (2-5 times a week with a friend) and a tactical course a bit.

I shot my first match this year at a competition with a Sig P320 X-Five that I'm now putting a red-dot optic on as my eyes are getting old. I won one match and lost two but it was a freakin blast. I plan on doing several shooting matches this coming year. BTW, the other things I have done like, freediving, martial arts and yoga have really got me breathing well under stress which seems to be my personal strong suit as my eyes are shit but I have good recoil control and breath control and remain calm while there is a lot of firing going on.


-G
 

RWIsrael

Woodpecker
Jewish
gmoneysauce said:
I have been getting back into guns again this past year. I grew up hunting and shooting a lot and was seriously into guns but didn't have one while I lived in a non-gun friendly city for a long time. I now have the tinnitus to prove it. Eyes and ears fellas. I did not serve in the military and 95% of my experience is with shotguns and pistols, although I'm hanging out a lot with some ex-Navy guys and one took me to shoot a full auto pre-ban M-16 and gave me some instruction on how to handle the muzzle rise.


I think I'm going to get a carbine and take some training. I have a friend of a friend of a friend situation with John Lovell of Warrior Poet Society fame so I think I'm going to take his rifle/carbine course (sometimes he comes off a bit strong but I hear he is a good instructor).
Eyes and ears is right! Got a few friends in their 30's who's hearing has gone to shit due to a few short years of range antics and machismo (and poor safety standards).

Really cool that you are taking constant instruction and training. Most don't know how much they don't know about firearms and especially safety, and it's better to form good habits early on rather than trying to fix bad ones.
Unlike riding a bicycle, shooting skills deteriorate quickly after a couple of months with no practice.

I got my Conceal Carry license and have been carrying a Shield 9mm with an extended mag. Smaller and I seem to shoot it well. small enough for summer carry with my gym shorts also. My kybex holster barely releases when drawing from the gym shorts so I need to get that figured out. I have practiced on a standard range (2-5 times a week with a friend) and a tactical course a bit.

I find the whole CCL thing facinating, would you mind elaborating on that?
Are you not allowed to just carry however you wish, open or concealed?

The Israeli laws I worked under state that you need to get a license for each firearm and have a valid reason to have it (the govt has decided on a list of reasons it deems valid, most civilians will not qualify and those who do will typically have only one firearm) but once you do get your gun nobody cares how you carry - open or concealed, round in chamber or not. You might get weird looks if you open carry but that's about it.
 

General Stalin

Crow
Gold Member
RWIsrael said:
I find the whole CCL thing facinating, would you mind elaborating on that?
Are you not allowed to just carry however you wish, open or concealed?

The Israeli laws I worked under state that you need to get a license for each firearm and have a valid reason to have it (the govt has decided on a list of reasons it deems valid, most civilians will not qualify and those who do will typically have only one firearm) but once you do get your gun nobody cares how you carry - open or concealed, round in chamber or not. You might get weird looks if you open carry but that's about it.

In the USA most firearm regulations are handled at a state and sometimes even county/city level, so the laws for firearm registration and carrying restrictions can differ state to state and sometimes even city to city. It can be confusing if you travel the country often and carry firearm(s) and its up to you to know the laws in each state you will be traveling in.

For the most part: You do not need to register a firearm (though there are a couple states/territories that require registration of all forearms or handguns only), and as long as you are 18+ you may purchase and carry a long gun (shotgun/rifle) from any licensed dealer and as long as you are 21+ you may purchase and carry a handgun from any licensed dealer. Most states allow you to open carry without any kind of permit, though probably about 25% of states have restrictions on open carry (either you need a license, or you are restricted to open carry in public and conceal carry is the only permissible way to carry). Most states require you to have a concealed carry license if you want to carry concealed. the only states that have NO restrictions on carrying a firearm are: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho (residents only), Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Dakota (residents only; concealed carry only), Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming (residents only).

Also, to make things a little more complicated, of the states that require CCL, some are "shall-issue" states meaning that they will give you the license so long as you meet the standard criteria, and some are "may-issue" which means local authorities can use their discretion on whether or not they will issue to you.

Not all states honor CCL's from other states, so some states require you to get a CCL from that specific state if you want to carry concealed there even if you don't live there.
 

realologist

Ostrich
Gold Member
General Stalin said:
RWIsrael said:
I find the whole CCL thing facinating, would you mind elaborating on that?
Are you not allowed to just carry however you wish, open or concealed?

The Israeli laws I worked under state that you need to get a license for each firearm and have a valid reason to have it (the govt has decided on a list of reasons it deems valid, most civilians will not qualify and those who do will typically have only one firearm) but once you do get your gun nobody cares how you carry - open or concealed, round in chamber or not. You might get weird looks if you open carry but that's about it.

In the USA most firearm regulations are handled at a state and sometimes even county/city level, so the laws for firearm registration and carrying restrictions can differ state to state and sometimes even city to city. It can be confusing if you travel the country often and carry firearm(s) and its up to you to know the laws in each state you will be traveling in.

For the most part: You do not need to register a firearm (though there are a couple states/territories that require registration of all forearms or handguns only), and as long as you are 18+ you may purchase and carry a long gun (shotgun/rifle) from any licensed dealer and as long as you are 21+ you may purchase and carry a handgun from any licensed dealer. Most states allow you to open carry without any kind of permit, though probably about 25% of states have restrictions on open carry (either you need a license, or you are restricted to open carry in public and conceal carry is the only permissible way to carry). Most states require you to have a concealed carry license if you want to carry concealed. the only states that have NO restrictions on carrying a firearm are: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho (residents only), Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Dakota (residents only; concealed carry only), Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming (residents only).

Also, to make things a little more complicated, of the states that require CCL, some are "shall-issue" states meaning that they will give you the license so long as you meet the standard criteria, and some are "may-issue" which means local authorities can use their discretion on whether or not they will issue to you.

Not all states honor CCL's from other states, so some states require you to get a CCL from that specific state if you want to carry concealed there even if you don't live there.

To add on to that, if you're state requires you to have a CCL concealed usually in the class or when you complete the licensing they will give you a list of states where your CCL is honored, and where it's not and many times lawyers that will help defend you and 2nd amendment rights if you were to get in any legal trouble or were denied the CCL.
 
RWIsrael said:
Eyes and ears is right! Got a few friends in their 30's who's hearing has gone to shit due to a few short years of range antics and machismo (and poor safety standards).

Really cool that you are taking constant instruction and training. Most don't know how much they don't know about firearms and especially safety, and it's better to form good habits early on rather than trying to fix bad ones.
Unlike riding a bicycle, shooting skills deteriorate quickly after a couple of months with no practice.

I find the whole CCL thing facinating, would you mind elaborating on that?
Are you not allowed to just carry however you wish, open or concealed?

The Israeli laws I worked under state that you need to get a license for each firearm and have a valid reason to have it (the govt has decided on a list of reasons it deems valid, most civilians will not qualify and those who do will typically have only one firearm) but once you do get your gun nobody cares how you carry - open or concealed, round in chamber or not. You might get weird looks if you open carry but that's about it.

I tell my tinnitus story to every gun dude and especially the young ones I meet so as to try and help them.

I'm in a 'shall issue' US state that has large reciprocity with other states. What that means is that unless they find a felony or some other court record that gives them reason to deny me, then they have to issue me the license.

I can carry in restaurants but not to bars, or sporting events or in government buildings. Don't want to get too specific about the laws where I am....ya know.

I used to be a Private Investigator (for five years) and when I had that license I could even carry into bars if I was on an investigation. I no longer maintain my PI license but I might renew/redo it as I do get occasional offers for side work. It was just a lot of work for little money. I might do some private security work, who knows.

Interesting about Israel. I figure that in Israel if you are openly carrying a sidearm they guess you must be IDF or Mossad or something.

I do believe that if we had more qualified CCL/CCW people in more public space then they could take action against the rando shootings. I think there is a solid logical argument and track record for this.

I have had four or five times in my life when The Shit Hit The Fan and I wasn't carrying (just started this year) and I had to use martial arts training but I"m older now and need a 'force equalizer'.

I mostly shoot for fun and the training will be 'fun'. However, there is a huge social component to it also. I want to be around like-minded people. I'm sure that we could get a group of RVF'ers together and it would be a great event whether it was a match, training, hunt, or just range event.
 

RWIsrael

Woodpecker
Jewish
Thanks everyone for the explanations regarding concealed carry laws.

Interesting about Israel. I figure that in Israel if you are openly carrying a sidearm they guess you must be IDF or Mossad or something.

Active duty Soldiers mostly carry rifles in uniform, very few pistols, some soldiers on leave take their guns home for the weekend so you might see them in civilian clothes with an AR (girls too :) )

Civilians have to apply for a license and prove WHY they need a gun. Firearms licenses are granted by the government (there is no Constitutional right to bear arms) based on things like prior service in armed forces, living in dangerous border areas, police recommendations and if you are an active competetive shooter.
Our gun laws are based on the former British mandate, licenses are granted as a matter of government policy (that can change based on the whims of politicians) rather than an individual right.

As mentioned the law doesn't tell you how to carry - concealed or open. I personally dislike open carry unless you are uniformed police and don't see the point. With a good holster and the right clothes you can conceal a full-size P226 pretty well.
In my mind, open-carrying as a civilian just announces you to potential attackers as the first target to take out or marks you for having your home broken into and gun stolen.
 
RWIsrael said:
Active duty Soldiers mostly carry rifles in uniform, very few pistols, some soldiers on leave take their guns home for the weekend so you might see them in civilian clothes with an AR (girls too :) )
Yes, I have seen a lot of pictures of hot IDF chicks. Pretty cool.

RWIsrael said:
As mentioned the law doesn't tell you how to carry - concealed or open. I personally dislike open carry unless you are uniformed police and don't see the point. With a good holster and the right clothes you can conceal a full-size P226 pretty well.
In my mind, open-carrying as a civilian just announces you to potential attackers as the first target to take out or marks you for having your home broken into and gun stolen.

YES! there have been many cases of people grabbing a gun from an open carrier in the US. Concealed has many advantages. Now, there might be a specific reason to open carry so I am not saying any absolutes but yeah, I'm always going to carry concealed unless I'm out in the country (I have some land in the countryside).

Oh, I love the P226. I don't have one now but have rented them and shot them. There is a US Navy version I want to get. I could conceal one in winter but not summer I think.
 

ed pluribus unum

Ostrich
Protestant
I'll just throw this log on the AR vs AK fire:

Russian navy recovered some AK's taken off Somali pirates; web site in Russian, so use your preferred translation tool, but the gist of it is: these weapons were still functional since the Somalis fired off quite a number of rounds with them. Not accurate, but still; enough to keep your head down I'm sure.

Somali AK47s


nadyozhnost_avtomata_kalashnikova__somali_garantiruet_6533631


nadyozhnost_avtomata_kalashnikova__somali_garantiruet_6533631


nadyozhnost_avtomata_kalashnikova__somali_garantiruet_6533631


I can't picture an AR standing up to this kind of neglect.
 

General Stalin

Crow
Gold Member
Not news - AR's have tighter mechanics and tolerances and need to be kept cleaner and well-lubed to ensure proper function over time/use. AK's are a different case because they are designed more "sloppily" and can withstand more friction and debris within their operational mechanisms. Due to this, an AK is less accurate but will continue to operate in more adverse conditions.
 

MOVSM

Pelican
Gold Member
General Stalin said:
Not news - AR's have tighter mechanics and tolerances and need to be kept cleaner and well-lubed to ensure proper function over time/use. AK's are a different case because they are designed more "sloppily" and can withstand more friction and debris within their operational mechanisms. Due to this, an AK is less accurate but will continue to operate in more adverse conditions.

That may not actually be the case:

 

MOVSM

Pelican
Gold Member
Levi's is trying to out-do Dick's in their virtue signalling. With this continuing trend, and all the required boycotts, I will soon have nowhere to shop.

 

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
When enough corporations get on board then the multinational banks are going to claim they have ethical grounds to bring operation bottleneck into full effect and shut down gun manufacturers by denying them banking services.

When this happens watch for Smith&Wesson along with the other "2A-lite" companies to cuck out and agree not to manufacture "assault weapons" any more in order to avoid being strangled.
 

General Stalin

Crow
Gold Member
@MOVSM - Blown away! Never would have guessed in a million years that would have turned out that way with those two rifles. Consider my view changed.

As for Levi's - read the details. They are just pandering to the women and soyboys that buy their clothes. the CEO published a public statement asking customers to not bring guns into the store (therefore still allowed) and all the orgs they are donating to have nothing to do with taking away guns or restricting ownership, simply working to lower gun violence which I'd say is a noble and righteous effort.
 

ed pluribus unum

Ostrich
Protestant
General Stalin said:
@MOVSM - Blown away! Never would have guessed in a million years that would have turned out that way with those two rifles. Consider my view changed.

Indeed, very enlightening. I would however guess that the looser tolerances and sloppier engineering would play in the AK's favour in the Somali-pirate environment where the enemy is not mud and debris but salt and corrosion.

In any case, given the choice I'd pick the AR. Kind of a moot point anyway since the AK (or anything that even looks like it - even in .22LR) is prohibited in Canadistan.
 
Top