Anyone learning to play the guitar?

Santoro

Robin
Gold Member
I wrote a 50 page guide on how to get off the ground and get gigs once you have the guitar skills down. The e-book is relevant for live music in general, regardless of instrument.

It's on Amazon for free download for the next 3 days. Enjoy. If you like it, help a brother out and leave a positive review.

More importantly, share your live music experiences on the forum. There are a couple guys doing live music here that have really helped me get where I am today.

Most of the online music forums are absolute rubbish when it comes to real talk. There isn't a better atmosphere for aspiring musicians (or success in general) than RVF and I hope we see a more active sub-community of music/performer game in the near future

Put Fretboard Logic in your bathroom and look at it every time you take a crap. Don't stress about it, but let it slowly sink in. Read it over and over again and think about it when you have time. It provides a great framework of how to look at the instrument and understand what you are doing.

You can learn and practice all your favorite tunes with tab and get fast and sound great and it will be fun, but you will hit a wall if you don't build your understanding of what you are doing along with it. In other words, keep your head ahead of your hands.

General Stalin

Crow
Gold Member
I'm a firm believer in learning by what works best for you. I'm a very visual ad hands-on learner. Reading and researching theory and such is not productive or helpful enough for me personally. I have had better progress just picking up a guitar and figuring it out by playing with it. Once I got basics down and felt comfortable fretting, picking strings, and stretching my fingers then I started watching some youtube videos of different stuff and watched the finger and hand movements of the guitar players.

Playing to a metronome is very important if you plan to get serious about guitar and play with a drummer/with a band or record. Learning theory is also very important but again, it really depends on how serious you want to get with it. I have heard some honestly amazing guitarists who never read sheet music, a tab, or learned how to identify chords in their life - they just figured it out as they went along and over the course of years and practice with their own methods they just got really good.

Veloce

Crow
Gold Member
Just heard this piece for the first time the other day and I'm hooked. Super catchy melody. I looked up the sheet music, it's not too complicated so I'm gonna put this one in the repertoire:

I'd probably take a few liberties with the tempo, this recording sounds a little stiff.

tawm

Sparrow
I'm very surprised no one has invoked Rocksmith 2014 yet.

This game has done more to help me improve than anything besides playing guitar with other people. I'd highly recommend checking the game out--there's also DLC as well as custom tracks available online.

Veloce

Crow
Gold Member
Prob the best Little Wing cover I've heard:

I'm about 30 seconds in. I can hack the rest but not on this guy's level. By far my favorite Jimi song, I wanna get this down in '15.

Once I do that then I'll tackle the Stevie Ray Vaughn version :)

Seth_Rose

Pelican
Gold Member
Bumping this thread (If there's a more recent guitar thread let me know!)

So, I'm a novice at guitar--just started a few months back. I've finally gotten to the bar chords, which I'm finding impossible on acoustic (I can do them alright on electric). Since I only own an acoustic and want to stick with it, I'm wondering if ya'll have any recommendations of how to play a bar chord, or an F chord for starters.

Thomas the Rhymer

Ostrich
Gold Member
Seth_Rose said:
Bumping this thread (If there's a more recent guitar thread let me know!)

So, I'm a novice at guitar--just started a few months back. I've finally gotten to the bar chords, which I'm finding impossible on acoustic (I can do them alright on electric). Since I only own an acoustic and want to stick with it, I'm wondering if ya'll have any recommendations of how to play a bar chord, or an F chord for starters.

I too struggle with bar chords. For now, I play the F chord ukulele style, by only playing the bottom four strings and using each finger to press a string.

Alternatively, you can just bar a portion of the first fret, while still skipping the top two strings:
Guitar_Chords_For_Beginners_Fmajor3-finger.jpg

Chetthebaker

Woodpecker
^start with just the lowest (thickest) two strings, using your index finger for the low F and the 3rd finger or your pinky for the C on the A string.
Practice holding it for 3-5 seconds at a time with your left hand. Then release. If it hurts give yourself a break, and focus on using the least pressure possible to hold the strings down.

You can also play a non bar chord F by taking the open E chord formation and moving it up one fret, putting your index finger on the b string 1st fret instead of barring the entire neck.

Seth_Rose

Pelican
Gold Member
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I actually, sadly, had a hard time playing F with just the bottom four strings or 'Ukelele style', though it seems much more feasible to reach. Will definitely practice that.

Barre chords just seem like a bitch, but a necessary part of advancement beyond beginner guitar playing.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member

I just picked this up and I'm going to give it a try. There are tons of "60 day challenge" videos of people learning how to play using Rocksmith on Youtube.. also on steam it has a 9/10 star rating with over 300 votes.

Vaun

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Santoro said:
testos111 said:
5. Don't use any bullshit like a metronome. Leave everything technical away. Music is about your natural expression.

This reeks of bedroom musician or keyboard warrior. Do you gig out man? Have your ever played with a percussion section? Have you made money from music?

Proper time is the foundation of music. Use a metronome.

While some of your points can be argued for, your overall approach of "Do whatever you like and just express yourself" sounds like something out of Cosmo. Do you also have '21 great songs that will give her goosebumps!'

How about 'Three more ways to blow an audition!'

Maybe once someone knows the basics they can 'forget everything' and 'just play'. Not applicable for beginners though

Certainly not a reliable way to pick up an instrument.

Agreed, definitely bad advice. Timing is everything. I used to know this guitar player who was a super cool guy, that if you listened to him by himself you would say "damn he's pretty good". But as soon as he paired up with other musicians, he couldn't play anything. He had ZERO timing, and no idea how to play with anyone. All of us would be scratching our heads like, wtf is going on here. He was a bedroom musician, never had experience playing with a band, presented himself as if he were an actual musician, etc. It was actually pretty embarrassing for him now that I remember it.

I would extend this by saying make friends with other musicians, especially a drummer. A few of my closest friends growing up were drummers. We would jam all the time, and in between sets they taught me how to play drums. If you are serious about playing music, learning songs, and writing songs, you need to play with other people. Look into the local colleges, schools, adult education etc, in your area that offer music programs. Often they will have ensemble classes where you play with others. Or, put up a sign at a music store, or talk to people at your local music store. Also, go to open mic's and meet people, or try one.