Are non-Christian religions (such as Islam) preferable to atheism?

Pantheon

Robin
Orthodox
This thread has too many generalities: "They hate Jesus"? So 100% of Muslims hate Jesus? Not in my experience. I've never heard a Muslim state that in real life.

It's stupid to say they hate Jesus. They might hate white Christians (stemming from a hatred against the west), but Jesus is their prophet. They will say Jesus is a Muslim (someone who submits to God). They just don't recognize that he is fully divine and fully human.

If someone is going from atheism / nihilism (they are interlinked) to Islam they are, at the very least, getting closer to the truth.
Yes, because from a pov of classical theism, Islam and Christianity is in agreement with regards to the metaphysical notion of God (as fundamentally simple, undivided, transcendent, uncaused etc). The differences are in theological and historical manifestation.

Learning to distinguish between metaphysical principles and contingent/linear historical revelation can help.

Last edited:

Parmesan

Woodpecker
This is typical behavior among a subset of Muslims. They are party animals in their 20s and when they are in their 30s they become religious cause they are jaded by the party lifestyle or just getting old and fear of mortality. The mastermind of the Bali bombing in 2002 was the playboy son of a millionaire. He became religious in his 30s and ended up being a fanatic and terrorist.
A Turkish friend of mine kinda explained this to me as well. I don’t know much about Islam, but it seems cultures that practice heavy handed, socially restricted mating habits end up with jaded and stunted men. See Indians. For all the rightful criticism of modern female “empowerment” we experience today, I do believe the success of Europeans is partially due to an ideal balance of female mate selection.

Uzisuicide

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Anything other than acknowledging and accepting Christ as your personal savior leads to damnation. The sacrifice Christ made for us on the cross is the only way to bridge the divide that sin created between God and man.
No other faith leads to the Father. Christ is it.

Pavel

Robin
Orthodox
My views on Islam on the side, but I find it quite difficult to disagree with this guy. Especially when the media tries to bash him:

The Beast1

Peacock
Gold Member
A Turkish friend of mine kinda explained this to me as well. I don’t know much about Islam, but it seems cultures that practice heavy handed, socially restricted mating habits end up with jaded and stunted men. See Indians. For all the rightful criticism of modern female “empowerment” we experience today, I do believe the success of Europeans is partially due to an ideal balance of female mate selection.
There really isn't much you need to know about Islam, other than that it really isn't a, "religion of peace".
A true Muslim is required to follow the teachings of Muhammad so they go and read the Quran and maybe some of that goofy poetry by Omar Khayyam.

The truth is, Muslims are also required to follow what is prescribed in the Hadiths (supposed sayings of Muhammad by other listeners). If you solely read the Quran, you won't get a full picture of the situation of what it means to be a Muslim and ironically, this is what most Muslims believe.

Islamic religious scholars say that a real muslim has to follow the Hadiths which are where all of the crazy, "violent Islam" stuff comes from like Taqya and others. If a muslim tries to claim anything to the contrary, according to their own religious leaders and scholars, they should be put to death just like non-believers.

Islam is a war cult that masquerades as a religion.

Lightning

Chicken
so they go and read the Quran and maybe some of that goofy poetry by Omar Khayyam.
I have never heard of the recommendation to read Khayyam from an Islamic point of view. He has actually criticized Islamic view of the Heaven regarding 72 virgins and endless pleasures. He also really enjoyed wine, repeatedly expressing it in his poems. Following verses are attributed to him:

You say rivers of wine flow in heaven,
is heaven a tavern to you?
You say two huris await each believer there,
is heaven a brothel to you?

t. Turkish citizen

Last edited:

The Beast1

Peacock
Gold Member
I have never heard of the recommendation to read Khayyam from an Islamic point of view. He has actually criticized Islamic view of the Heaven regarding 72 virgins and endless pleasures. He also really enjoyed wine, repeatedly expressing it in his poems. Following verses are attributed to him:

You say rivers of wine flow in heaven,
is heaven a tavern to you?
You say two huris await each believer there,
is heaven a brothel to you?

t. Turkish citizen
Truthfully, my post is a sly criticism to the comically western hypocrites who think Islam is peaceful after reading a few pages from the quran and some Khayyam.

Awkwardly Khayyam would be put to death in a traditionally minded Islamic society.