Are standing desks worth it?

IM3000

Pelican
Since the killer virus broke out, I've been working from home 100%. I have a nice desk but many people I know swear by standing desks. What's your take on them, are they worth it?

hedonist

Kingfisher
Other Christian
100% one of the best investments I made. I would suggest motorized over manual. When COVID hit it was the perfect time to buy one as offices were closing like crazy.

fireshark

Kingfisher
Other Christian
I love mine. Even if you don't use it for standing all that often it's still super useful to adjust the height for different chairs, different screens, different activities and kinds of work etc...mine is motorized.

BasilSeal

Kingfisher
Catholic
Gold Member
Worth it. Often, larger companies will buy one for you if requested. I've never turned down anyone's request for one. I have one at work and one at home. Both made by varidesk and having the option to sit or stand as you choose throughout the day is fantastic. I generally do both over the course of 8 hours. A good chair is important, too. However I'd take a standing desk over a better chair any day.

IM3000

Pelican
Thanks for the replies. Seems like I'm missing out. That said, I still don't really understand what's so great about them. What's the benefit over just getting up and stretch once in a while?

rsv030

Chicken
Catholic
I had an athletic coworker who used one in his late 30s.

It hurt his back, so he went to the doctor, who told him it was bad to stand all day, and to do a mixture of sitting and standing.

C-Note

Hummingbird
Other Christian
Gold Member
I've had problems in years past with severe upper and lower back muscle spasms, so painful that I thought for a while that I had a herniated disc. I fixed it by lifting weights, improving my posture, and using a standing desk. I'd say all three were equally responsible for ridding me of chronic back pain.

COtrailrider

Robin
Gnostic or New Age
"Sitting in the new smoking"

Keep that in mind for all the white collar workers out there. A few years preceding the cerveza sickness I always had a standup desk. One area I worked in had most of the desks defaulted to standup desks but the majority of people just sat down. I stood up ~75% of the time and was happy to see that slowly but surely more and more people started standing up over the coming months!

Ergonomics are crucial just as they are with sitting down. Try to maintain a 90 degree angle of your arms and adjust the monitors so you're looking straight at them, not down. It's a game changer.

Somewhat related, but for fitness I also highly recommend kettlebells. They work the posterior chain a lot (the backside of one's body) and help counteract the bad posture many office-dwellers have. Better yet, do what I did and have a kettlebell next to your standing desk! I had this at home but even in the office I'd do pushups every so often at my desk. Sure, some colleagues would think it's weird but they're also borderline diabetic...

Grow Bag

Pelican
Catholic
A few years ago, as a frugality, I switched to using one of those big exercise balls as a chair and I'd never use a static desk chair again. I'm constantly flexing and stretching various joints and muscles without even thinking. Worth a try before a purchasing a standing desk.

jonNorth

Robin
Catholic
What also helps is kneeling or squatting in front of desk when not in chair. Need carpet or a pad for the knees when kneeling. Can be puzzling to coworkers if they enter cubicle

Easy_C

Peacock
I've started using a standing desk most of the day. Had it for awhile and use it on and off. After a week or so the difference is subtle but impacts everything. You also start notcing you've lost weight.

SiverFox

Robin
Other Christian
71ddwfNQ6ZS._AC_SX466_.jpg

I've used a chair like this for years. Takes about a week to get used to but I find it keeps my lower back and transverse abdominis muscles strong.

prisonplanet

Robin
Other Christian
I have one. I think it depends on how much you are on your feet otherwise. I work on my feet and walk a lot so when I'm at my computer, it's simply not smart or beneficial to be standing. If you're working at a desk, that's a different story. It's probably a wise investment (although I think just taking breaks to stretch and walk is also sufficient).

I watched a documentary and it showed an attorney in her office. She had her computer set up at standing height and walked on a treadmill as she typed. Pretty nifty!

cosine

Woodpecker
I spent $600 on a big, fat sit/stand desk that goes up and down. It's sturdy and since my job is remote, I spend a lot of time there. For me it's worth it. I also expensed it to the LLC I run.

Sadly it looks like it's gone up in price since I bought it. The tripod-legs thing make it really sturdy, a lot of them shake in the standing position.

Also, for heavy desk users, make sure to spend some time kneeling(use a pad or foam roller) or doing the one-knee stretch. Really helps prevent the "sitting is the new smoking" problem and keep your legs loose.