Are standing desks worth it?

joost

Pelican
In school they tell you to stand up if you're sleepy (to pay attention). So I guess it has its benefits. But standing for so many hours is not good for your legs and it might compress your spinal discs, leading to back pain.

You can use compression socks and an elastic belt to give you back support if you're going to stand for 6-8h.

Sitting in a bad position is also bad.

It doesn't matter what method you choose. Hitting the gym is important. Stronger muscles give you better support for your body.

C-Note

Hummingbird
Other Christian
Gold Member
In school they tell you to stand up if you're sleepy (to pay attention). So I guess it has its benefits. But standing for so many hours is not good for your legs and it might compress your spinal discs, leading to back pain.

You can use compression socks and an elastic belt to give you back support if you're going to stand for 6-8h.

Sitting in a bad position is also bad.

It doesn't matter what method you choose. Hitting the gym is important. Stronger muscles give you better support for your body.
Yes, I've heard that if you use a standing desk you should still take breaks from it by sitting or walking around. Apparently, standing for long periods of time can eventually give you varicose veins because of the pressure it puts on the circulation in your lower legs.