Are vegetable oils safe to eat?

Grow Bag

Pelican
Catholic
When it comes to the old school bodybuilders you can't say that the protein and saturated fat is what made them have heart attacks since they also took steroids often made for animal consumption and HGH witch is known to enlarge the heart.

If large amounts of saturated fats and protein is bad for you then how do you explain the lack of heart diesese in the Tokelau who have a diet of coconut and fish, where coconut makes up 63% of their caloric intake meaning that 48% of their calories are saturated fat from coconuts. Or how do you explain the Maasai warriors whom also don't have any heart diesease and are on a diet of only meat, milk and blood?

The link between fat consumption and heart disease is a myth going back to the early 50s when Ancel Keys faked his 6 country study by cherrypicking the countries he used from the total dataset to get the result he wanted. This has later become basis for the whole low fat high sugar craze witch happened at the same time as there were a huge increase in obisety.
Agree 100%. I've researched it enough to satisfy myself that, simply put, polyunsaturated fats are bad and saturated fats are good. The inversion rule of thumb applies. I have a jars of coconut oil and lavish butter on everything.

tractor

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I've been using lard, butter and coconut briquettes for frying since before covid. Coincidentally, in 2020/2021 I've been healthier than ever. Beef fat is harder to get, but I'm going to try it soon.

Regardless... I have a question for the owners of cast iron cookware. If vegetable oils are bad, can I still use canola or sunflower oil for seasoning? I seasoned my dutch oven with lard, actually. But I thought that using substances with a lower smoke point (like a vegetable oil) is particularly good for seasoning.

Good_Shepherd

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
I use coconut oil, butter or melted animal fat (tallow), extra virgin olive oil is also good but if you cook with it (heat it) it changes and doesn't taste as good. The Indians use ghee which is made from butter also seems good.

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
Even GQ wrote an article about it:
They didn't go into the health benefits of saturated fat, but this is a good first step. When people realize these oils are dangerous, and they are in everything, food companies may have to make changes.

Here's a good article that you can send to normies. Not too long and well cited:

BillMcNeal

Woodpecker
Other Christian
One of my weaknesses is popcorn. Usually I'll cook it in coconut oil and top it with grass fed butter - about as healthy as you can make it. One day not too long ago I was in the supermarket and saw the Orville Redenbacher flavored popcorn oil (flavored soybean oil) I had through my childhood and bought it. When I make popcorn using it, I very quickly had some stomach distress and felt really lousy the next day.

So I absolutely believe this from my own recent experience.

tech

Chicken
Non-Christian
I don't know if perilla oil is refined in the same dangerous industrial manner as other seed oils leading to the neutral flavor or if it is inherent to the perilla seed. The break down of SFA, MUFA and PUFA in perilla is somewhere between safflower and soybean oil. Very high in PUFA in other words. It's high in omega-3 in the form of ALA just like flaxseed, canola and soybean oil. You can only convert a single digit percentage of that to DHA and EPA, the form of omega-3 that your body actually uses.

Unless perilla is produced in a similar manner as olive oil I don't see there being a qualitative diffrence between it and any of the other highly processed oils. I would not use it for cooking regardless as it will break down as you heat it because of the high PUFA content. I would rather use olive oil as it's high MUFA content makes it more tolerant to heat by default. By tolerant to heat I don't mean smoke point, but at what point the oil oxidizes or turns into trans fats.
100% excellent reply, thank you very much. so much conflicting info out there on all these oils.

doctorweedmd

Robin
Orthodox Catechumen
Found out that the presenter is Sally Fallon Morell, one of the co-founders of the Weston A. Price Foundation. Found another lecture by her where she goes trough the work of dr.Price and general nutrition. She has also written a cookbook named Nourishing Traditions, though I have not read that myself.

Sally Fallon and WAPF are my go-to health sources. She's done some of the best work exposing vaccines and covid too.

Seeker79

Kingfisher
I've basically simplified it down to olive oil for salad dressing/drizzle and either avocado oil or ghee (or just butter) for cooking. Chicken and bacon fat can also be good if you save it from cooking.

Matthewww

Pigeon
Other Christian
Let's not forget that some of that generic vegetable oil found in cheap foodstuffs could be reclaimed vegetable oil from China, i.e. Gutter Oil, extracted from Chinese sewers, and reprocessed for frying oil, that's why I'm sticking to olive oil, coconut oil, and ghee.

frankunderwood

Pigeon
Protestant
Let's not forget that some of that generic vegetable oil found in cheap foodstuffs could be reclaimed vegetable oil from China, i.e. Gutter Oil, extracted from Chinese sewers, and reprocessed for frying oil, that's why I'm sticking to olive oil, coconut oil, and ghee.

That's insane.

Here is how butter is made in contrast to seed oils and gutter oil:

And some flow charts:
Butter.png
Edible-Oil-refinery-for-Refined-Oil.jpg

Seeker79

Kingfisher
I recently realized that pretty much all bacon has added sugar. I avoid all cured and processed bacon. Added nitrates and nitrites are really bad. Even the mainstream media is aware of this. But what's shocking is that even the most expensive "all natural, organic" bacon has added sugar 90% of the time. So much for saving my bacon fat to use as general cooking oil.

The Beast1

Peacock
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
I've been using lard, butter and coconut briquettes for frying since before covid. Coincidentally, in 2020/2021 I've been healthier than ever. Beef fat is harder to get, but I'm going to try it soon.

Regardless... I have a question for the owners of cast iron cookware. If vegetable oils are bad, can I still use canola or sunflower oil for seasoning? I seasoned my dutch oven with lard, actually. But I thought that using substances with a lower smoke point (like a vegetable oil) is particularly good for seasoning.
You can absolutely use canola and sunflower oil to season cast iron cook ware. Heck, when I get new cast iron, I end up using crisco to season them. I start by warming to 225, smearing as much crisco on them, and then rising the temp up 100*F every hour (wipe each time with a cloth) until I get to 500. I then let the pans stay inside for a few hours at that heat.

This is just a base seasoning I use. Crisco is great for this type of base seasoning at this heat for a long time. I cook bacon and sausage every day for breakfast and use the rendered lard to reseason the pan. I clean it by getting the pan pipping hot and then holding it under hot water, steam cleaning it. Then let the water steam off on the stove and re-season with lard!

My favorite cooking fats:
1. Beef tallow - @Good_Shepherd get into BBQing and make a full packer brisket. You trim off so much fat. I have a large collection of rendered tallow now from my brisket escapades. I end up using it to fry steaks on my griddles.
2. Pork lard (from bacon mmm)
3. Duck fat (hard to find)
4. Olive oil EVOO
5. Sunflower
6. Peanut (perfect for frying large quantities of food)
7. Canola (only for baking)
8. Coconut
9. Crisco - very very rare, only when making cake icings and seasoning cast iron

Sometimes you just need a really neutral cooking oil for baking. I've tried coconut oil and cakes and it ends up leaving a coconut flavor. Not good for me.

Yup another group of wealthy Jews taking away the simple pleasures of life with cheap substitutes. I swear, rich Jews really do seem to be ruining the quality of life of everyone for nefarious reasons.

Cavalier

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I recently realized that pretty much all bacon has added sugar. I avoid all cured and processed bacon. Added nitrates and nitrites are really bad. Even the mainstream media is aware of this. But what's shocking is that even the most expensive "all natural, organic" bacon has added sugar 90% of the time. So much for saving my bacon fat to use as general cooking oil.
Bacon is a cured meat. In order to preserve meat a high acid environment is necessary. This is achieved by a brine contains salt and sugar. Nitrates help prevent botulism. They are demonized but the body actually produces them to prevent botulism from digesting food. You can not have bacon or other smoked meats without sugar, salt and nitrates