Are vegetable oils safe to eat?

SeaEagle

Woodpecker
Trad Catholic
What is an economical and healthy oil to use for deep frying?

I'm having difficulty finding affordable tallow or lard in Canada. Perhaps I'll have to get friendly with a butcher.

renotime

Hummingbird
Catholic
Gold Member
Are you saying that red meat is good for every person on the planet? What about people that have gout?

Gout is caused by inflammation. If you're eating well sourced meat that are high in omegas you aren't gonna get inflammation.

Your average person is far better off eating meat, fish, and veggies instead of a standard western diet of gluten, sugar, and bad carbs.

Don Quixote

Ostrich
Orthodox Inquirer
I just had canned black beans and checked the ingredient list and canola oil was in it. Why would you put canola oil in beans? Makes no sense. Wouldn't it be cheaper to not include that ingredient? I mean it's not like it adds beneficial flavor to it. I'm very meticulous about checking labels but I assumed black beans in cans would not have any. You have to be almost neurotic about this to avoid PUFA completely.

Australia Sucks

Banned
Other Christian
I just had canned black beans and checked the ingredient list and canola oil was in it. Why would you put canola oil in beans? Makes no sense. Wouldn't it be cheaper to not include that ingredient? I mean it's not like it adds beneficial flavor to it. I'm very meticulous about checking labels but I assumed black beans in cans would not have any. You have to be almost neurotic about this to avoid PUFA completely.
Maybe the oil helps add shelf life? I would say if you want to avoid seed oils completely you pretty much have to avoid nearly the whole packaged food section of the supermarket. In any case better to buy raw beans and cook them from scratch. They taste a lot better and if you are lazy to do it too often then you can batch cook it and freeze it. Extreme convenience is more of Anglo/Americanized thing anyway. There are a lot of countries where even to this day people subject themselves to deliberate inconvenience (e.g. going to the fish market or produce market etc) to get the freshest foods possible.

I will admit to eating some packaged foods but at this point I am not being neurotic about seed oils. Yes they are bad for you but I got other priority problems to deal with for now. If I was neurotic however I would virtually eliminate packaged foods.

Last edited:

JohnKruk

Chicken
Other Christian
I mostly bake meat because this is easier and healthier. I cut it up first to save time. It is a bit dry because I usually don't add oil to it, but I don't mind meat being a bit dry. Chicken leg quarters have enough fat on them to not even need oil anyways.

Boiling works well also and is pretty easy and tasty if made as a soup (plain boiled meat is a bit boring).
If you brine the meat before you bake, it is less likely to be dry. Boiling is great, particularly with chicken, and you can use the leftover water to make rice for a tasty dish.

If you brine the meat before you bake, it is less likely to be dry. Boiling is great, particularly with chicken, and you can use the leftover water to make rice for a tasty dish.

Might want to think about limiting fatty cuts of chicken, particularly the skin as samples tested have had over 30% omega 6. Basically the same as canola oil, due to the garbage seeds/oils they feed the chickens. Not an issue if you can find a local farm where you know what they're fed. Safest option is keeping chicken/pork to lower fat cuts and adding your own fat source to the dish if needed such as tallow/butter. Or if having fatty cuts, stick to beef and lamb.

Recently posted vid from Chris Knobbe: