Are you interested in fashion? I like this video and want to know what you think of these styles

christie2

Sparrow
Woman
If video doesn't post, it is Anna Bey's yt video on '10 ways to look expensive this Fall on a budget' Sept 5, 2021

m.youtube.com/watch?v=9rq9igH1WnE

What are your thoughts on the longer culottes with pointy toe boots and the more feminine, flow-y styles of long vests? I don't have these styles yet. Both looks mimic wearing skirts and dresses but still provide a changeup to actually wearing the skirts/dresses.

(I'm kind of afraid I'm starting to try to find ways of slipping back into androgynous wear. Or my hope is that I've done good, by picking the more feminine items she's talking about here)

Is she current with what is good/in style right now?

What sources do you use to stay current with clothing?(that's NOT on social media that I need to have an account for to see, please)

Last edited:

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
The general (organic) trend from last year is that people are wearing very loose, casual clothing. I think a lot of women stopped wearing make-up and coloring their hair, too. (We went to a wedding recently and people were definitely more scaled-back than in the past.)

Fashion has a 20 year cycle that seems to correspond with people wearing things that adults wore during their childhood. There's been a 90s revival for a few years, so if pointy toes are coming back it's the early 00s again. I didn't like them the first time.

I actually like culottes! I wear mostly work clothes (chef jacket/polo/uniform pants) and long or longish skirts and dresses for church and T-shirts at home. That's about it these days. I like classic cuts and pieces, and shop at thrift stores a lot.

DelMarMisty

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox
Basic earthy colours, long cardigans, v-necks, love vintage jumpers. I don't really use sources, as I get older I tend to go with what feels right for me. I'm quite tall with broad shoulders, and tend to go towards very simple attire. Floral doesn't work on me, overly feminine things I can't quite make work...I think it depends on the woman. Not a fan of long vests with no sleeves. Rest of the clothing Anna showed was pretty nice. The simple neutral colours. I have always loved sets. Matching top/skirt etc.

I would love to pull off the flowy pants, they somehow don't work on me either.

christie2

Sparrow
Woman
Hmmm, makes sense to look back 20 years. I forgot about that rule. Lets see, 20/30 years ago I was wearing those longer coloured tanktops under another shirt so you'd see the band of colour resting on hips/derriere.
I remember a lot of bootcut indigo jeans and those high waist hooded ski jackets. I remember chunky mary jane heels and pointy ankle boots through the 90's and 00's.

In the 90's I shamefully wore lipstick skirts and doc martins shoes...also alot of too short flowered sundresses....was I trying to look edge-y promiscuous? Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me please, I'm sorry.

Oda Mae

Chicken
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
I check Etsy every month or so, I'm addicted to the long, Boho Indian skirts. (I try not to worry that someone will say I'm appropriating culture, because I LOVE the flow and length, and the sequins on some and the bells on the end of the ties are perfection when I'm walking around the office!)

I am about to turn 60, so I am from the preppy time period. I still wear men's oversized polo shirts around the house. But they are not as cute on me now. ;)

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
I like florals and paisleys a lot, or quirky prints in moderation (I bought a skirt off Amazon recently with kittens wearing sunglasses). Not a fan of the 20s silhouette but I like the 30s and 50s. I have a lot of shawls and scarves.

My husband calls me "Slav wife" a lot so that's probably a good desciption of my style when I actually put on non-work clothes.

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
If video doesn't post, it is Anna Bey's yt video on '10 ways to look expensive this Fall on a budget' Sept 5, 2021

m.youtube.com/watch?v=9rq9igH1WnE

What are your thoughts on the longer culottes with pointy toe boots and the more feminine, flow-y styles of long vests? I don't have these styles yet. Both looks mimic wearing skirts and dresses but still provide a changeup to actually wearing the skirts/dresses.

(I'm kind of afraid I'm starting to try to find ways of slipping back into androgynous wear. Or my hope is that I've done good, by picking the more feminine items she's talking about here)

Is she current with what is good/in style right now?

What sources do you use to stay current with clothing?(that's NOT on social media that I need to have an account for to see, please)
Thanks for sharing and introducing me to Anna Bey! Great video and channel. I really enjoy the message and fashion. Definitely saving some of her videos and podcasts for future content for my free time. :)

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
DABE25C2-312F-408B-8C35-CD42113FB346.jpegFound this comment in Anna Bey’s video and found it refreshing and good insight. It’s more than just fashion and dressing well. It’s working to be thr best version of yourself and projecting that in order to attract like-minded and better quality people. A lot of her messages are very inspiring and promote values and femininity in a world gone crass. I noticed a lot of very young women in their teens responding well to Anna. A breath of fresh air in these times.

christie2

Sparrow
Woman
View attachment 34111Found this comment in Anna Bey’s video and found it refreshing and good insight. It’s more than just fashion and dressing well. It’s working to be thr best version of yourself and projecting that in order to attract like-minded and better quality people. A lot of her messages are very inspiring and promote values and femininity in a world gone crass. I noticed a lot of very young women in their teens responding well to Anna. A breath of fresh air in these times.
Oh yes, that's a great comment. I haven't read through any comments yet.
I want to develop my elegance style more.
In an ultra-conservative orthodox Christian method.
I forgot a charger so I better sign off right away but will comment more on this thread probably Monday morning.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
She reminds me of someone who is happy being "kept." Some of her style advice is sound but I just don't click with it. (One of the servers at work tonight told me I give off "big mom energy." Zoomers are funny.)

I used to watch What Not to Wear back in the day and it sort of reminds me of that, haha.

Maddox

Woodpecker

Here is a man's take:

1. Panchos - Good Lord. I'm struggling to think of another clothing item as unsexy as that one.

2. Wool Trousers - Androgenous. Not a fan. Why any straight woman would want to adopt an androgynous look is beyond me.

3. The Long Vest - Masculine and almost as unsexy as the poncho. It makes me wonder if Marxists are paying these influencers to promote this crap.

4. Black boots - I like the ones with the stiletto heel. Not a big fan of the block heels.

5. Skinny Trousers - They look very similar to leggings, only with a visible seam. I think this looks best when the woman is on top of a horse, but I'd rather see women wearing these over wool trousers any day.

6. Neutral colors - No problem with this. I personally like it when women wear cream colors because it gives off a wealthy look.

7. The Light-Colored Trench - I like the white coat the woman is wearing at 9:05 but that doesn't really look like your classic trench coat.

8. Scarves - I guess the right one with the right outfit could look good.

9. Shirts - They are fine when worn with a skirt. Attractive women seem to pull this look off much better than average-looking women.

10. Culottes With Boots - Dorky and unflattering.

Camellia

Sparrow
Woman
I like Anna Bey. Her messages are very refreshing, but her style can be a bit androgynous sometimes. For example in this video I don't like the shirts, culottes, poncho, or long vests. My style inspiration is a character from Jane the Virgin (a very silly show:blush:) named Petra Solano. I think she looks so elegant and feminine, even though she's mean! Of course all of her clothes are from high-end designers, but I've found beautiful shorts similar to the ones she wears from Ann Taylor.

Attachments

• petras-blue-lace-playsuit.jpg
    petras-blue-lace-playsuit.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 16

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
I like Anna Bey. Her messages are very refreshing, but her style can be a bit androgynous sometimes. For example in this video I don't like the shirts, culottes, poncho, or long vests. My style inspiration is a character from Jane the Virgin (a very silly show:blush:) named Petra Solano. I think she looks so elegant and feminine, even though she's mean! Of course all of her clothes are from high-end designers, but I've found beautiful shorts similar to the ones she wears from Ann Taylor.

Ann Taylor is pretty consistant quality. A lot of my sheath and sundresses are from there. I know I'm getting old because I keep seeing stuff from Talbots and Land's End and think oh, that's cute.

I usually get it second-hand, though. One of my favorite thrift stores has a dollar rack :) Consignment stores are good, too.

christie2

Sparrow
Woman
I haven't been to a consignment store for awhile. I'm making half the income I used to and I know consignment can be more $$ than thrift.
I'm happy that ah_tibor has a dollar rack at her thrift store.Fortunate! I will look for those racks. One time I saw a bin past the register at Sally Ann that had pretty white aprons for $1 and I bought 2.
I remember the small shop at the Ywca had cheap clothes, but they didn't have much last time I went.

I am 2 payments away from finishing paying a school related loan...then I will begin shopping.

I wish I never sold my sewing machine. I have enough skills to make an easy pattern category piece. Then i could wear some finer cloth.

I watched a handbag video of Anna Bey's. I think I know why she's androgenous leaning in her clothing picks. She's still career/office obsessed.

I guess what I like is when she talks about trying to be more elegant. I'll be careful to skip the videos on androgynous wear.The dresses mrs. Midwest from yt talked about are nice, they are older videos I'll look for after work.

Now, I'll look up this Petra Solano character that Camellia wrote about. Also I'll google Ann Taylor too. I already have a visual of theTalbot's and Land's End(Lands end I remember has some small print florals)

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
I haven't been to a consignment store for awhile. I'm making half the income I used to and I know consignment can be more $$ than thrift.
I'm happy that ah_tibor has a dollar rack at her thrift store.Fortunate!

It's at a store I found when my husband and I were long distance, it was right across the street where I would stop for gas/coffee. There was also a diner there so sometimes we'd meet up there if we couldn't make a whole trip.
Now I meet my mom there, and we do lunch and shopping.

There's different thrift stores I like for different things, either books/clothes/toys. Church rummage sales are great if you're on a budget, too; oftentimes you can fill a bag for a set amount.

There was a buy/sell/trade store back in my hometown that always had a dollar rack outside at the end of the season. I bought a whole stack of things, some new with tags, and put them away for the next year, so when spring rolled around I had a new wardrobe.

I went to TJ Maxx about two months ago and ALL the clothes were marked down to $3. The one girl said they didn't sell much last year so they were just trying to clear out. I also picked up an inflatable baby pool for $3. :)

Sewing/alteration skills definitely come in handy!

I am 2 payments away from finishing paying a school related loan...then I will begin shopping

It's a good feeling! Congrats!

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
I'm happy that ah_tibor has a dollar rack at her thrift store.Fortunate! I will look for those racks. One time I saw a bin past the register at Sally Ann that had pretty white aprons for $1 and I bought 2.
I remember the small shop at the Ywca had cheap clothes, but they didn't have much last time I went.

I am 2 payments away from finishing paying a school related loan...then I will begin shopping.

I wish I never sold my sewing machine. I have enough skills to make an easy pattern category piece. Then i could wear some finer cloth.

I watched a handbag video of Anna Bey's. I think I know why she's androgenous leaning in her clothing picks. She's still career/office obsessed.

I guess what I like is when she talks about trying to be more elegant. I'll be careful to skip the videos on androgynous wear.The dresses mrs. Midwest from yt talked about are nice, they are older videos I'll look for after work.

Now, I'll look up this Petra Solano character that Camellia wrote about. Also I'll google Ann Taylor too. I already have a visual of theTalbot's and Land's End(Lands end I remember has some small print florals)
There is a Goodwill near me that has a small rack/ section marked ‘office wear’ or something like that. It has exclusively business casual and there are some great pieces to be found there, donated by the more fortunate after very little use. I have found some label names in there, very gently used. Between that and Marshall’s, if you’re willing to hunt you can find some higher end stuff that are of decent quality.

I encourage you to get into sewing again if you can! (Check out this forum’s sewing thread for patterns and tips)
A lot of times I find things at a discount and then alter them to fit me perfectly. Many times a great fit and a good press will make a world of difference. I can’t believe nowadays how people just wear stuff off the rack (out of the Amazon package) or out of their closet, complete with wrinkles and gold lines from the store. A good steam ironing and no matter what you wear you’ll look 100% more put together.

Maddox

Woodpecker
Summer has come and gone, but I feel compelled to comment on the jean shorts that I've seen women wearing for the last few years. Now, I know that women dress both to impress other women along with attracting men. And these high-waisted jean shorts seem to be popular with most women, so maybe their abundance is driven by the fact that they're seen as fashionable right now. But as a man, I can honestly speak for 99% of men out there when I say these are very unflattering on a woman's body.

Not only do jean shorts make one think of a granola-eating girl from Portland, but the high-waist cut gives the impression that the woman's derriere is sagging.

Oh Lord in heaven, please make this style go away in 2021, never to return to our land.

jean-shorts.jpg

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
Summer has come and gone, but I feel compelled to comment on the jean shorts that I've seen women wearing for the last few years. Now, I know that women dress both to impress other women along with attracting men. And these high-waisted jean shorts seem to be popular with most women, so maybe their abundance is driven by the fact that they're seen as fashionable right now. But as a man, I can honestly speak for 99% of men out there when I say these are very unflattering on a woman's body.

Not only do jean shorts make one think of a granola-eating girl from Portland, but the high-waist cut gives the impression that the woman's derriere is sagging.

Oh Lord in heaven, please make this style go away in 2021, never to return to our land.

View attachment 34279

I like the high-waisted trend, tbh. I remember low-rise flares and they were awful.

We went to a pumpkin patch yesterday and the youngsters looked like they were all back in the mid-90s-- flannels, straight-legged frayed denim, big sweatshirts. I'm feeling it haha. (I hate jeans and rarely wear them though)

Camellia

Sparrow
Woman

View attachment 34279
Haha, that's why I always consult with my husband about what actually looks good on me. He knows best! :) Those hideous shorts and, really, any high-wasted pants make you look like you're wearing a diaper!