Artificial Intelligence (AI) thread

Oberrheiner

Pelican
The first couple of chapters of the book Homo Deus discuss the difference between humans and computers, and I recommend it. The differences are eroding and the trend is towards a type of merger.

Could you please expand on which differences are eroding ?

Hypno

Crow
Could you please expand on which differences are eroding ?

Here is a gross summary, you really need to read the book to appreciate these.

30 years ago they said a computer could never beat a human in chess, and then they did.
Then they said a computer could never detect patters, tell if someone is lying, higher order reasoning. And they did.
Then they said a computer could never create a painting or a symphony and then they did.

It turns out that a lot of what our brains do is use algorithms or heuristics, and do so with an imperfect memory system and limited inputs. The more that we understand what our brains actually do, the easier it is to parcel out those activities to a supercomputer that con do it faster and more reliably.

At the same time, we are learning that a lot of the things that make us human - thinking and feeling - are shared by animals, more so than we thought.

Oberrheiner

Pelican
Hmm ok but those predictions sound a bit stupid to me, no ?
In my experience anything which can be done will absolutely be done, regardless of whether it's good or whether it makes sense.
So I believe the singularity will definitely happen - _if_ society grows up to the point where it can sustain it, which I strongly doubt since as you can witness every day the technologized west is falling apart.

KingDavid

Sparrow
Here is a treatment of some of the problems of AI, philosophically. A bit long, but it's his own hosted blog from several years ago, I'd recommend checking it out. Remember, human inputs are required to get any form of desired order in return.

Artificial intelligence and magical thinking

Technology is another false god that is worshiped. We'll be seeing that battle in the future.

I have a bullish faith in humanity's ability to make technological progress. It may not be until the dawn of the 22nd century (probably much sooner), but we will surely develop AGI, and it will transform humanity, or destroy it.

ilostabet

Pelican
Here is a treatment of some of the problems of AI, philosophically. A bit long, but it's his own hosted blog from several years ago, I'd recommend checking it out. Remember, human inputs are required to get any form of desired order in return.

Artificial intelligence and magical thinking

Thanks for introducing me to this man, a lot of interesting stuff to read, not only about AI (which I don't find particularly interesting), but on theological issues and morality.

Hypno

Crow
The more I think about AI, the more I see the flip side of the coin. A lot of what humans do is take mental shortcuts, such as using heuristics and cognitive biases. Diverse scholars such as Cialdini and Nassim Taleb write about these. Ultimately, the march of technology and our improved understanding about how to use this technology is going to be a tool to work around the limitations of our mind. But one must first recognize those limits - reading Cialdini and Taleb are a start.

Devotee

Chicken
5G and all things AI are population replacement efforts as well as sell outs to technocrats. What's it like living in a world ran by technocrats? Well, I suggest look no further. America sold out long ago and whoever uses technology as a mechanism to justify the stage of our progress as a civilization as an advanced nation is a useful idiot. You are only selling your soul to the devil because Silicon Valley determines the fate of your content through their platforms. You are only playing with fire here the minute you sign up on their platforms.

5G and AI can not guarantee health, so why would you sell out to it? I will probably take up the full page if I were to criticize the state of the healthcare industry in the developed world. - the US being the worst. Yes, US healthcare use patients as lab rats.

Technocrats sell you the AI idea for convenience and use keywords such as safety. Everytime you hear that keyword run because whenever someone uses the word "safe" its anything but safe.

AI is also pushing Satan. Technocrats want people who amputated their body parts with robotic bio engineered mechanism. 1/2 human 1/2 AI type of Deus Ex BS. They've been shoving this idea for long time now and we are already there at early stages. Nothing like promoting some patriatism with the expense of soldiers missing body parts and to come back anything but normal. This is how God pays back for their honor. The honor to sacrifice self for the devil's wars and so that Israel can have a safe space.

DeusLuxMeaEst

Pelican
Gold Member
Are there any resources or inexpensive online degree programs to learn more about creating basic AI systems? Can program, but need to brush up on it.

How far away are we from say developing an AI dog that acts like a real dog?

I have some skepticism regarding this technology, but it's becoming clear at some point these systems will be used against people and in warfare.

Are there any resources or inexpensive online degree programs to learn more about creating basic AI systems? Can program, but need to brush up on it.

How far away are we from say developing an AI dog that acts like a real dog?

I have some skepticism regarding this technology, but it's becoming clear at some point these systems will be used against people and in warfare.
I’ve heard that Andrew Ng’s course is very well regarded in the AI space for newcomers. It’s free and well strucutured. I haven’t completed it yet myself though so can only pass on what I’ve heard.

AI is becoming very prevalent but I suspect its true potential is being held back (how many years until Siri can actually do something useful? Hmm...) GPT3 is a huge breakthrough from what I can tell, but still not a panacea. It's very compelling in any case. Bottom line is you can reduce many many things to statistical probabilities and that which you can reduce to math and process can be implemented in practice via machines. Moore's law (still not dead) means humans will never match machine processing speed, however there's still the intangible deep thought that machines can't match. To me, the human intention behind the code is what will matter. AI consciousness or self determination seems like nothing more than a fantasy of kurzweil, a wacky hard core darwinian materialist who is trying to resurrect his father using electricity. Like any tech it comes down to who is the button pusher behind it. Personally I think the narrative of terminator is a red herring to distract you from the man behind the curtain. Yes AI will eventually take most jobs, the question is how will you maintain your human rights in the process. The bigger fish to concern yourself with is battery technology and robotics. Can you imagine an army of robots commanded by some third world group of outsourced soldiers?

Last edited:

Guy80

Sparrow
AI & Machine Learning seem to co-exist...I know nothing about either. It has been a buzzword for a while among American universities to sell their "products" (i.e. tuition and undergrad/grad/certificate programs).

plenty of companies say AI when their code is nothing but a lot of "if then" statements; I've yet to to AI and do not believe it exists outside a lab aka not commercially available