As you age, it gets harder to travel

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I pretty much hate it now.

Traded in the plane bullshit for a Chevy Suburban and a family. Pack that beauty up and hit the road for 10,000km every summer. Camping the whole way from Yukon to Oregon to Alberta.

I had to go to Amsterdam last year for work. It was painful. The flights. The people. The cattle system of airports. Jihadis went on a stabbing spree at Schiphol and shut it down for a day. During a blizzard. De -ice and go to the back of the line, ice up while we wait for a runway, then de ice again. Shitty old Airbus lifts off to creaks and moans and coughs from passengers with TB.

Booking a flight to Japan in the coming weeks. Its an island, so I have to make some exceptions. Sending my son for a month of pre school there and give my wife time to catch up with family and friends. Create a bond between my son and his Obachan.

But yeah, give me my 4x4, my gear, family and an open dirt road any fucking day.

Bangboy

That’s the most productive way to travel when you’re a young buck.

I travelled the world solo in my 20s and stayed in some dives I tell you.

I wouldn’t change it for the world because it shaped me and gave me a right good kick up the arse.

However the idea of travelling like that now fills me with dread.

I’d rather ‘retain semen’ than travel nowadays

questor70

Ostrich
You have to have a really good reason to go somewhere besides just taking instagram selfies.

I did not enjoy going to NYC over the summer because it was simply a place I wanted to tick off a box since it was close. But the previous two trips I made to Iceland and Hawaii were very memorable, because they are so exotic and yet polar opposites.

It's also really key to have enough time to take everything in. If you overfill your itinerary then you A.D.D. your way from one photo op to another then it's just not worth it. It's better to do less and let where you are sink in more. With both of these trips I split the difference, spending part of the week doing traditional sightseeing and activities and the rest of it decompressing in a quiet are. I think that's a good approach.

HD668B

Kingfisher
Gold Member
After 10+ years of "nomad" lifestyle for me the biggest difference is between traveling solo or not.

When younger, part of the experience was to show up in new city/country, most likely in a hostel, and have constant social interactions to meet up wingmans (who might end up friends) and/or women.

But after some time you realize that those new social interactions take effort and energy. Also when you are younger its way easier to connect to other travelers "hey bro first time in Slovakia? fuck yeah lets get drunk on beers!" But then with age and experience you forge yourself a specific personality and basically most guys and girls become boring to you.

And you dont really wanna spend the time/energy on new social interactions, because it becomes a redundant chore.

So now I only do quick travel trips with close friends of mine, so we share a cool experience together without worrying about external factors.

El Chinito loco

Crow
Gold Member
I have to travel a lot for business (I fly about 30x a year on average) but not too many long haul flights unless i'm visiting the U.S. from asia or something.

What really cuts the fatigue down is not staying in shithole places or flying on shitty airlines. Splurge a little if you have to. When it comes to flights that are even over 3 hours I don't mind paying extra for an upgrade.

At my age you'd have to pay me to stay in a hostel. Fuck that.

It's is either airbnb, serviced condos, or a decent mid range hotel.

Bolly

Pelican
El Chinito loco said:
I have to travel a lot for business (I fly about 30x a year on average)
Hot damn. And here I am complaining about usually flying like 4-6 times a year. Need to check my privilege. :eek:

scotian said:
TheGreatLogos said:
scotian said:
The thing I like about traveling as I get older is that the chicas stay the same age.
This isn't a fornication forum.
Who said anything about fornication dick head? I just arrived in Colombia and I brought a bible with me, looking forward to reading it during my trip and attending mass, likely with some chicas.
Don't call me a dickhead, you fucking faggot. You were there to have sex with "chicas". And I don't know why you think it's acceptable to mock God's Word.

TheGreatLogos said:
scotian said:
TheGreatLogos said:
scotian said:
The thing I like about traveling as I get older is that the chicas stay the same age.
Who said anything about fornication dick head? I just arrived in Colombia and I brought a bible with me, looking forward to reading it during my trip and attending mass, likely with some chicas.
Don't call me a dickhead, you fucking faggot. You were there to have sex with "chicas". And I don't know why you think it's acceptable to mock God's Word.
Please don't call people names. It lowers the tone of the forum and it makes Jesus angry.

And you don't wanna see Him when He's angry.

ScrapperTL

Woodpecker
TheGreatLogos said:
scotian said:
TheGreatLogos said:
scotian said:
Piss right off twerp.
You are brand new here, while Scotian has been contributing pure gold for years on end.
This was a really entertaining thread before you spazzed out all over it.
Your post reads like an undercover SJW spy trying to get Scotian banned.

Also, back on topic, I’m turning 35 in a few weeks and I agree, traveling blows.
The only reason I hop on a plane is to take my kids to Disneyland, to see the joy on their innocent faces.
Otherwise I’m with you guys, pickup truck + camping.
Give me river, rocks, sticks, mud, fire, bugs and a tree for me and my dog to piss on.

flyinghorse

Woodpecker
Its different for us Europeans because travelling to a new country is often only 2 hours on a train or a 1.5 hour flight. Its not really expensive or stressful so its still quite fun.

Tired of the weather in north Europe - just hope on a 40 dollar flight and go to Sicily for a week.

Want to have a mini adventure - get a train to Amsterdam and live it up for 3 days.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
flyinghorse said:
Its different for us Europeans because travelling to a new country is often only 2 hours on a train or a 1.5 hour flight. Its not really expensive or stressful so its still quite fun.

Tired of the weather in north Europe - just hope on a 40 dollar flight and go to Sicily for a week.

Want to have a mini adventure - get a train to Amsterdam and live it up for 3 days.
True. I would travel more if I had access to good, reliable trains. I can hop off a train after a couple of hours drinking coffee and reading or working. Walk 200m to a nice hotel and check in. Hit the spa for a swim and a steam. Afternoon apertivo in the lobby bar before getting ready for the evening.

This is pretty much the exact opposite of an airline experience. In every way. You Europeans are lucky in this regard. I used to justify it this way: If the 1 hour flight could be done with a train under 4 hours, I would take the train. Under 3 hours it was a no brainer.

I don't think age makes travel harder at least not in your 40's. Perhaps as you age you get a family, a house, career, you become stuck in a rut, and you might be reluctant to head out the door. But once you are out the door, at least for me, as I get older, I am less interested in nightlife, so I have more energy in the day to do stuff I wouldn't when I was younger. It also seems that while young women in the USA seeking a future husband are sensitive to too much of an age gap, in other countries, you may seem younger to potential future wives, more exotic, so your age isn't held against you.

Bolly

Pelican
Laner said:
The cattle system of airports.
Cattle being run down alleys through squeeze chutes are treated better and with more dignity than TSA treats its passengers. If I didn't know any better; I'd swear there was a pre employment exam, along with a low IQ test, to see how big of a jackass miserable prick of a low life human you are in your personal life to make sure you qualify to wear that blue shirt. They probly check their balls too. Make sure they're small enough.

I hate TSA with a burning passion. Burning. They make my skin crawl.

tomtud

Pelican
There are several Trusted Traveller Programs that, if you are a member, you are able to travel through security and US Customs in a separate, dedicated line and with the use of a kiosk to further speed up the process.
NEXUS
NEXUS is a program for Canadian and American citizens that allows members to clear the border faster when travelling between the United States and Canada. At Pearson, NEXUS holders have a separate, dedicated line at security and at US customs.

At US Customs, Nexus holders first visit a kiosk, where their travel identification is verified and an iris scan verifies your identity. The kiosk will print out a receipt, which will then speed you through US Customs.

NEXUS: Learn more and apply

Global Entry
Global Entry is a program for American citizens that allows its members to get through security and US Customs faster. Member have been pre-approved and are considered low-risk travellers.

Global Entry members use NEXUS kiosks, where they present their passport or US permanent resident card.

Travellers must be pre-approved for the Global Entry program. All applicants undergo a rigorous background check and in-person interview before enrollment.

Global Entry: Learn more and apply

CANPASS
CANPASS allows members to clear the border faster when travelling into Canadian airports. This is an old program that has been replaced by the NEXUS program. CANPASS members can still use the dedicated line to clear customs more quickly.

CANPASS: Learn more

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Spectrumwalker said:
Laner said:
The cattle system of airports.
Cattle being run down alleys through squeeze chutes are treated better and with more dignity than TSA treats its passengers. If I didn't know any better; I'd swear there was a pre employment exam, along with a low IQ test, to see how big of a jackass miserable prick of a low life human you are in your personal life to make sure you qualify to wear that blue shirt. They probly check their balls too. Make sure they're small enough.

I hate TSA with a burning passion. Burning. They make my skin crawl.
I heard something like 90% of contraband makes it through.

I would agree. I had a knife go missing for 3 years only to turn up in my bag in Frankfurt. This was my travel bag, too. It had slipped sideways in a pocket and sat there the whole time until a German security man flagged me. I had been through probably 60 airports.

KMK

Robin
I have a lot of creature comforts in my room that I really don't like leaving behind for a trip. Surround sound, window tintings, scenters, different lamps, etc. This is the only thing that feels like an obstacle to travel.

Bolly

Pelican
That's pretty funny Laner. On my way to south america i have to make like usually 2 or 3 stops before going international. I always bring some different belt buckles with me and one was made out of old cut off bullet casings. I told myself damn, i gotta remember to put this in my check in, bet security wouldn't like it. Well i forgot and it ended up in my carry on. That thing went through 3 American airports. Twice through TSA xrays because I broke up my stops and overnighted somewhere. I land in Mexico City for another layover where you have to go through immigration and then go back through security to your connection. Bam. Sonsofbitches were all over me. They told me they'd confiscate it if i didn't choose to check in my carry on. I just let em have it. But i was actually pretty impressed. They were pretty sharp.

If any of you intrepid travelers are in Mexico City and see see some asshole walking around with a horseshoe belt buckle made out of bullets, offer to buy it off him. I'll pay you back :tard:

Mister Happy said:
I don't think age makes travel harder at least not in your 40's. Perhaps as you age you get a family, a house, career, you become stuck in a rut, and you might be reluctant to head out the door. But once you are out the door, at least for me, as I get older, I am less interested in nightlife, so I have more energy in the day to do stuff I wouldn't when I was younger. It also seems that while young women in the USA seeking a future husband are sensitive to too much of an age gap, in other countries, you may seem younger to potential future wives, more exotic, so your age isn't held against you.
Youthfulness makes all the difference. You can be older without having to be crusty.