Ask a mechanic

lev1n

Chicken
Orthodox
Might become an interesting thread depending on the topics here discussed. I currently drive a 20-year-old Mazda 626. Bought it a few years ago on a budget and actually grew quite fond of it, simply because it drives well and it is very maintenance-friendly. Cars like that (conventional Mazdas and Toyotas, etc. from the late 90s and early 2000s) are in my opinion some the best cars you can buy quality/price-wise. Ask Scotty Kilmer.

But what do I buy next? Obviously I want the same thing but newer and with fewer miles on it, but here in Western-Europe fuel prices (and soon taxes for regular petrol-fueled cars) are going through the roof. But don't want an EV or hybrid either because degrading batteries will be a pain in the long run.

Has anybody here thought about what the future of motoring in the tyrannical world that is currently being set up will look like?

Meaning fuel costs or even availability and general freedom of movement in the future (5 to 10 years from now or longer).

Joseph.b

Chicken
In relation to the above comment, and of my own curiosity, I'm curious to learn about bio diesel. Like the stuff made from old veggie oil. Could be an alternative when private individuals are priced out, or otherwise, of fuel. I've got an old Mazda ute without a dpf filter so I'd be interested in trying it.

Gazeebo

Pigeon
Orthodox

Pointy Elbows

Woodpecker
Orthodox
In relation to the above comment, and of my own curiosity, I'm curious to learn about bio diesel. Like the stuff made from old veggie oil. Could be an alternative when private individuals are priced out, or otherwise, of fuel. I've got an old Mazda ute without a dpf filter so I'd be interested in trying it.
I know a trucker that built a biodiesel plant to fuel his fleet of about 10 diesels during the 2008 fuel price surge. He claimed it worked really well and had a pretty good sized facility for processing, cleaning, and storing it. Then the feds came in and wanted receipts, etc. They wanted a fuel tax on all the product he consumed for a two year period. He dismantled the plant and went back to regular diesel. If you can do it for a personal vehicle, you can likely avoid that stuff, but beware the govt wants their piece of the pie.

Pointy Elbows

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Marshal Zhukov, I have a 1/2 ton truck with a bad shimmy when hard braking. Some guys say it is probably a cracked brake pad, another guy suspects it is a suspension issue. 2014 F150 4WD. Any ideas?

Gazeebo

Pigeon
Orthodox
Has anybody here thought about what the future of motoring in the tyrannical world that is currently being set up will look like?

Meaning fuel costs or even availability and general freedom of movement in the future (5 to 10 years from now or longer).

I work for Honda and I know they have pledged to go full electric by 2040 so it will be interesting for myself what they are bringing to the table. From my perspective the hybrid cars have been a win and loss for Honda in the past. I've seen many a clean hybrid civics, accords, and the CR-V come in and get some good range with them with minimum problems. I've seen some newer accord hybrids getting 50 mpg.

I'm interested to see where Honda goes with they electric power. Also with other manufacturers as well.

Gazeebo

Pigeon
Orthodox
Marshal Zhukov, I have a 1/2 ton truck with a bad shimmy when hard braking. Some guys say it is probably a cracked brake pad, another guy suspects it is a suspension issue. 2014 F150 4WD. Any ideas?
I would do a brake and rotor check and see if you may need a rotor resurface or maybe a rotor replace. Does your truck look like it's giving and not sitting stanced right? Look at your shocks and look at the plastic boots on them. Do you see deterioration of the boot or does it look clean? See is the inner shock is leaking as well. Next if you can get under your truck or lift it I would check all connecting links. Possibly some may be loose and needs tightening.

Also if you can indicated where you're feeling it the most it would help as well. Your engine mounts may have gone or possibly your rear differential may have an issue.

I hope this information helps and if not let me know if i can help more.

Pointy Elbows

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I would do a brake and rotor check and see if you may need a rotor resurface or maybe a rotor replace. Does your truck look like it's giving and not sitting stanced right? Look at your shocks and look at the plastic boots on them. Do you see deterioration of the boot or does it look clean? See is the inner shock is leaking as well. Next if you can get under your truck or lift it I would check all connecting links. Possibly some may be loose and needs tightening.

Also if you can indicated where you're feeling it the most it would help as well. Your engine mounts may have gone or possibly your rear differential may have an issue.

I hope this information helps and if not let me know if i can help more.
Thanks Gazebo. Suspension looks good, well connected, no leaks, and truck sits and rides well, without shimmy, except when braking hard. It's pretty well maintained, but it does get a lot of miles and I had to tow a trailer recently that was on the edge of the weight threshold for such a small truck. I may have damaged brakes on that run. Leaning towards brake/rotor problems.

Kiwi

Robin

If you touch the pedal lightly at higher speeds does it pulse? (I think I understand what you mean by shimmy, we're probably saying the same thing)

If so that's 100 percent your brake rotors are warped. If you feel it through your steering at the same time, it's your front brakes.

eradicator

Peacock
Gold Member
I have a 2017 Ford transit with high roof. I replaced the battery 6 months ago and it was fine until last week. I needed a jump from Aaa and it has been fine since but anticipate as it gets colder I’ll need my own portable starter battery. I have a Ford transit 350 with high roof and want to pick the right charger. There was one from Walmart for 450 dollars that I ordered but it was a cancelled because it was out if stock

Schumacher ProSeries 12V/24V 4400 Peak Amp Jump

Is this my best bet? I can get it from Amazon for a bit more. Or should I just ask at my local auto zone?

No problem at all. You might be able to get away with machining them depending on thickness. I would do the pads at the same time if they're less than half worn.
I would recommend changing the pads when surfacing the rotors so you start off with both pads and rotors as a fresh surface for the smoothest braking and pads are fairly cheap. @Gazebo and @Kiwi has given you some very nice advice, and as they mentioned I would start by inspecting the rotors.

I have a 2017 Ford transit with high roof. I replaced the battery 6 months ago and it was fine until last week. I needed a jump from Aaa and it has been fine since but anticipate as it gets colder I’ll need my own portable starter battery. I have a Ford transit 350 with high roof and want to pick the right charger. There was one from Walmart for 450 dollars that I ordered but it was a cancelled because it was out if stock

Schumacher ProSeries 12V/24V 4400 Peak Amp Jump

Is this my best bet? I can get it from Amazon for a bit more. Or should I just ask at my local auto zone?
The Schumacher pro series looks like a good. NOCO battery chargers are fairly cheap from amazon and work well from my experience, you can buy them for various different sizes of engine. I predict your battery will be fine if you have just had one incident where it discharged. Perhaps some light or something was left on and the battery discharged. What engine size is your transit ? diesel or gasoline engine ? This will determine how powerful of a battery charger you need. Find out the cold cranking amps needed for your engine and that will tell you how strong of a battery pack you need.

I like to install little voltmeter screens in my cars to monitor the voltage to keep an eye on battery and alternator health. I also carry jumper cables in all of my cars in case I run into a problem or need to help someone out. I will probably get myself a battery start pack soon myself for when I am offroading or dont want to be bothered with jumping off another car.

eradicator

Peacock
Gold Member
The Schumacher pro series looks like a good. NOCO battery chargers are fairly cheap from amazon and work well from my experience, you can buy them for various different sizes of engine. I predict your battery will be fine if you have just had one incident where it discharged. Perhaps some light or something was left on and the battery discharged. What engine size is your transit ? diesel or gasoline engine ? This will determine how powerful of a battery charger you need. Find out the cold cranking amps needed for your engine and that will tell you how strong of a battery pack you need.

I like to install little voltmeter screens in my cars to monitor the voltage to keep an eye on battery and alternator health. I also carry jumper cables in all of my cars in case I run into a problem or need to help someone out. I will probably get myself a battery start pack soon myself for when I am offroading or dont want to be bothered with jumping off another car.
3.5 liters. Gas not diesel . I’m looking at getting a 4000 or 5000 amp starter . 10000 would be overkill, good for a semi or a giant bus or other similar vehicle but more than I will need.

Gazeebo

Pigeon
Orthodox

NOCO has a sweet jump box. You can get one for 200. Very small. Quite powerful.