Audiobook Recommendations

eradicator

Peacock
Gold Member
Radio station selection where I live is pretty shitty, and I'm just not eating the cost for satellite radio subscription. So in the car I'm listening to audiobooks and podcasts via a memory stick in the USB slot in my radio.
You can try the radio.com app if you want tunes(you get any radio station anywhere) and it’s free

Lace em up

Woodpecker
Jocko's book is good but he kinda repeats the same extreme ownership point in every chapter. Its a good lesson but a easy concept to grasp.

So many of the classics are available, for free, but the narrators all speak in exaggerated accents which requires too much concentration.

Im always thrown off when a male narrator disguises his voice to read the lines of the women characters. Would it be so hard to have an actual woman read those parts?

Seems like a market that is sadly lacking. I think its audibles that lets anyone upload their own version of a book. Probably gotta stick to the text as it was written, but youd think people would jump at the chance to add sound effects and multiple narrators.

Anyway, Ive been trying to find the best narrators. I think the narrator can make or break the story. Scott Brick seems to do a good job, but Ive only listened for a few minutes.

I'll do some more digging and post what I find.

Radio station selection where I live is pretty shitty, and I'm just not eating the cost for satellite radio subscription. So in the car I'm listening to audiobooks and podcasts via a memory stick in the USB slot in my radio.

If you'd like to learn or listen to lectures about a subject I highly recommend The Great Courses. http://www.thegreatcourses.com/

They have both audio and visual courses of anything you'd like to learn about. History, science, literature, culture, and even practical stuff like accounting or cooking.

The prices can be hefty for some of the longer courses-- up to $100 - $300, but you get a lot for that price, especially if you've bought a video course. But most of the audio courses are less than $100. Now you can find many of the courses on the internet for free if you go digging, but I always like to go buy a course legit if I enjoyed it. Plus they have sales on all the time that drastically reduce prices on certain courses-- sometimes all the way down to $10-$12.

I heartily recommend any of the courses taught by Daniel N. Robinson in psychology and philosophy and Elizabeth Vandiver in ancient Greek and Roman culture. They also have a course on learning ancient Greek that is great for anyone who is interested in doing that.

One downside: some of their science courses are fouled with leftist horseshit. The contemporary official narrative pseudo-science Marxist-Lysenkoist bullshit that race doesn't exist features in a couple of their biological courses and they have a couple lectures that take man-caused climate change as a given.

Overall, it's worth a look.
It does look good. I saw that they have a subscription service for $10 a month. It seems you get access to a portion of their courses, but the topics they cover are wide. What do you think of this? Or would it be better to purchase just one course at a time?

Thanks for posting this. I am thinking about it.

Cal Meacham

Pigeon
I can echo the admiration for The Great Courses. The Daniel Robinson Philosophy course was excellent. I have listened to it more than twice over the years.

Their courses about Western Civ were good too, especially relevant since that kind of course is on the endangered species list in brick and mortar liberal arts colleges.

I can't speak to the subscription service since I typically get the longer courses, but they do have some shorter ones that are worthwhile, like a rundown on Ancient Egyptian History with a focus on the pharoahs.

nordle

The return of the native, narrated by Alan Rickman, audible (or your favourite torrent site). Great book, definitely get the one narrated by Rickman.

Max Roscoe

Woodpecker
The audiobook of OJ Simpson's If I Did It is incredible. The voice actor, G Valmont Thomas, did an outstanding job of conveying the emotions the Juice was going through. When I finished, I was just blown away at the incredible job the narrator did. Quite simply the best voice acting I've ever heard. I was pretty interested in the trial at the time, and it was one of my first red pilling moments when I saw black students jumping for joy when the verdict was read, while everyone else walked around with quiet nervousness.

The way he reads Simpson's lines, its like you are there privately with OJ with no cameras, and he feels free to share his real emotions (particularly rage) with you. And it's pretty chilling to hear the murderer describe the actual killing in his own words.

The guy is so good, I looked up his other works, because I would love to hear more of him. It looks like he has worked on a Steven King, a Malcom X bio, and some other novels on Audible.

From Publishers Weekly:
G. Valmont Thomas eerily embraces Simpsons sound and speech patterns, making the audiobook more disturbing than the book. Hearing Simpsons words at his most enraged, listeners will be impressed and possibly frightened with how well Thomas delivers this first-person narrative.
Unfortunately I couldn't find a clip of him angrily reading the Juice online but here's a brief clip of him discussing acting:

I think the book is pretty interesting overall. After reading and listening to it, I became a Nicole victim blamer. Yeah, OJ committed murder and he killed an innocent guy who was in the wrong place at the wrong time, in addition to his ex. But boy, did Nicole egg him on. You play with fire, you get burned.