Australian government has gone tyrannical

Laus Deo

Woodpecker
Orthodox
What is going on with retail staffing everywhere? It feels like more people are out of action and more places closed than during the first lockdowns in Autumn 2020. Owners of businesses I talk to tell of difficulty recruiting new staff.

Either there's more than the official number of 5% unjabbed and the private sector is still being foolish pushing apartheid; the immune systems of the jabbed are being hit hard by actual flu; or, people have learned helplessness from 2 years of sitting on the couch and have lost appetite for actual work, particularly when it costs 20% more to get to work than the start of the year.

It's all bizarre. Where has everyone gone?

Gazza

Woodpecker
Other Christian
What is going on with retail staffing everywhere? It feels like more people are out of action and more places closed than during the first lockdowns in Autumn 2020. Owners of businesses I talk to tell of difficulty recruiting new staff.
Either there's more than the official number of 5% unjabbed and the private sector is still being foolish pushing apartheid; the immune systems of the jabbed are being hit hard by actual flu; or, people have learned helplessness from 2 years of sitting on the couch and have lost appetite for actual work, particularly when it costs 20% more to get to work than the start of the year.

There’s WAY more than 5% unjabbed. I get recruiters from job agencies calling, texting and emailing me every day offering me work. It even appears that they are that desperate that they’ve upped their pay rates. But it’s the same old story every day………… Me; ”Sorry mate, I’ve just got to be upfront with you before you ask me any more questions or we arrange for an interview time, I’m unvaccinated”. Them; Oh, ok then that changes things, we’ll stay in touch and give you a call back if there are changes in legislation. It’s an absolute joke. Morrison, Andrews and the other state “premiers” were given a task back in early 2020, bankrupt this once great country. I hate to say it, but they did a sterling job.

Foolsgo1d

Peacock

Dent under estimate the bad pay and work conditions of those jobs.

Gnasher

Pigeon
Catholic
For anyone considering foreign travel from Oz. Just returned from overseas flying into Sydney. Unjabbed. Was actually not asked once re vax status either overseas or at Sydney airport. British airways is a good option. You need to fill in a digital passenger form returning to Oz that asks about vaccines and quarantine etc. It seems about 6 months since it has been updated. I wrote unjabbed etc. No one mentioned it when we returned In airport. There is no separate line etc. I was quite nervous but everything went smooth. Leaving Australia was a breath of fresh air.

RedLagoon

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
I just found out the bakery in our once nice town can not open on Saturdays anymore due to "staff shortages".

Gen Z sits on their bum playing fortnite and the unvaxxed are at home wanting to work but are not "allowed" to. I've also found out a couple of old Greek colleagues have taken their whole (as in aunties nieces sons daughters parents etc) back to Europe. Total clown show and honestly I don't see it getting any better in Australia.

China has an open door right in front of them.

grenade001

Woodpecker
Catholic

One statistic that I have always questioned is the actual figures of total population. It stands to reason that the actual population is higher than official counts. As a result, the 92% who are double jabbed could in reality be closer to 83 - 84% of the population.

The statistics bureau admit to overestimating the actual enumerated population by between 1-2%. Meaning that their own population projections are 1-2% that what is captured in the Census. If we use voter turnout (~91%) as a proxy for the rate of Census form completion, then the actual population could be 8% higher than what is counted.

So I would advocate the view that it is the number of unjabbed being much higher than official stats, in conjunction with businesses still implementing apartheid.

grenade001

Woodpecker
Catholic
For anyone considering foreign travel from Oz. Just returned from overseas flying into Sydney. Unjabbed. Was actually not asked once re vax status either overseas or at Sydney airport. British airways is a good option. You need to fill in a digital passenger form returning to Oz that asks about vaccines and quarantine etc. It seems about 6 months since it has been updated. I wrote unjabbed etc. No one mentioned it when we returned In airport. There is no separate line etc. I was quite nervous but everything went smooth. Leaving Australia was a breath of fresh air.

This is extremely encouraging. Thank you for sharing this anecdote.

grenade001

Woodpecker
Catholic
There’s WAY more than 5% unjabbed. I get recruiters from job agencies calling, texting and emailing me every day offering me work. It even appears that they are that desperate that they’ve upped their pay rates. But it’s the same old story every day………… Me; ”Sorry mate, I’ve just got to be upfront with you before you ask me any more questions or we arrange for an interview time, I’m unvaccinated”. Them; Oh, ok then that changes things, we’ll stay in touch and give you a call back if there are changes in legislation. It’s an absolute joke. Morrison, Andrews and the other state “premiers” were given a task back in early 2020, bankrupt this once great country. I hate to say it, but they did a sterling job.

Based on purely anecdotal evidence around me, the actual numbers of unjabbed would have to be around 15% of the population. My circles may be skewed. Typically a business has manpower turnover of 12% per year. Which would mean that businesses need to procure in new hires 20% of their current team. A significant logistical exercise even in the most optimistic of trading environments.

I would imagine that more would have done the sneaky and used alternative avenues to secure their employment. As to what that would look like, I have no idea.

Gnasher

Pigeon
Catholic
It actually feels like all the rest. A mix of trying to scare you and typical public sector nonsense where forms are out of date etc. I carefully read all info before leaving - for a family emergency overseas- so knew we were legally bullet proof. My worry was a petty beaureaucrat making life hard. My wife left a few days earlier as I had to wrap up passport issues for kids. The check in girl said she could not fly until overruled by a manager. The rules say there is nothing restricting citizens leaving or coming. Worst that can happen is you may be asked about jab status. Ask away I say! The flying and mask stuff is farcical. Flying to uk from Singapore- no mask needed. Flying uk to Singapore. Mask up!

Gnasher

Pigeon
Catholic
Based on purely anecdotal evidence around me, the actual numbers of unjabbed would have to be around 15% of the population. My circles may be skewed. Typically a business has manpower turnover of 12% per year. Which would mean that businesses need to procure in new hires 20% of their current team. A significant logistical exercise even in the most optimistic of trading environments.

I would imagine that more would have done the sneaky and used alternative avenues to secure their employment. As to what that would look like, I have no idea.
On this point. The ACT stopped giving stats on jabbed when the number was reaching 99 percent. I knew it was fishy at that point. That was late last year I think.
I woukd also say that it is vital to ensure your airline is not code sharing your flight. You need to pick an airline with a clear vaccine policy. For example BA is clear that there is no discrimination but if code shared with Qantas or Virginia you woukd not be allowed to check in. Booking directly with airline probably makes it easier to check. They state on the website who is actually operating the plane etc. It is also important to check where you are transiting if stopping over. I.e. Singapore has no issues with transiting but you can not leave the airport for example.