Avoiding plastic

Atlas Shrugged

Robin
Woman
I know plastic is in pretty much everything but how do you avoid it with water. I don’t think you can buy water in glass bottles. Yes I know tap exists but every city, county, town, etc has different water. One town had gritty water like sand was in there so no way. People in that town joked that they had sand in the water. I’m sure it did. I didn’t realize it was that noticeable until I ran out of my V8 in the cans. Bought one in a plastic bottle and spit out the first sip. I could taste nothing but chemicals. It was gross. It’s convenient to have bottled water but I don’t want plastic anymore. I guess I could take the long road and boil tap water and take it with me with in an anything but plastic container. I like to drink water at work throughout my shift. And my V8! I mean if you can put soda in glass bottles why not water? Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

DelMarMisty

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox

I've been recommended this, trying it out at the moment.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
We just use a normie Brita filter. Not sure if it's the best, but we have notoriously bad tap water, and the taste is discernable.

GuitarVH

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
I would recommend buying a distiller. It removes all impurities and chemicals. Normal tap water will have 250-500 parts per million of impurities. After distilling, you will have 0 ppm. It is the best. You can let it run overnight, will take about 5-6 hours to make a gallon. You will wake up with a fresh gallon ready to go.

Oda Mae

Chicken
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
We use the 3.5 gallon Berkey and replace the filters every year. Haven't had fluoride or other harmful chemicals in years, and it tastes better. They recommend one gallon per person a day, but it gets more expensive as you size up. We like this size, use it for coffee, tea and cooking. We also have the shower filters, and skin is not as dry, no rashes. Good customer service, too, answered all.out questions. It's a British company, they also have an American website. https://www.berkeyfilters.com

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
We have a 4 or 5 gallon under the sink water filter with a spout by the main water faucet for drinking/cooking water. It has four different filter tubes/canisters for different minerals and chemicals before it’s stored in the main reservoir. I think it’s good for about 5k gallons and we replace the filters once a year even if they’re still good for a bit longer. One thing that we really want is to just get a total household water filter for all the water. We’re fortunate that our city doesn’t put any fluoride in the water but it is extremely chlorinated and very heavy. During certain seasons the water smells stronger than public pool water with chlorine and it gives my daughter and I hives after bathing in it, ugh.

As to purchasing water, I’ve seen filtered water in glass bottles but they’re expensive (Voss for example). I would be wary of anything mass canned in metal as there is usually a BPA or other plastic lining inside the cans. I think metal, stainless steal, reusable water canisters are fine though.

IconWriter

Sparrow
Woman
Orthodox
In addition to water, the very best milk I've ever tasted comes from the local farm, in glass bottles. Buy local, if you can.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
If you are on municipal water you are going to need a reverse osmosis filter. Normie filters like Brita will not remove fluoride or pharmaceuticals

Yeah, our water sucks. There's a weird film on your tea/coffee if you boil it without filtration. The taste is way different even with just a Brita.

I grew up with well water so once we move I'd like a well, and not municipal river/sewage.

Last edited: