Baby Formula Shortage…?

Brebelle3

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
Didn't want to start a different thread, so I'll ask if any mom's or dad's can advise me here.

My boy is 13 months and still breastfeeding. We'd like to continue until at least 18 months.

What would you recommend on when to ween him off or is it more a child by child situation? He's got 10 teeth and he's biting to the point he draws blood, but it's been so beneficial with his development that we don't want to stop. Of course she could pump, but you all know the amazing bonding that mother and child receive through breastfeeding.

A little background, he's in Vietnam right now, so we don't really have or maybe want a pediatrician. They all want to shoot him up with "vaccines", but he's had none. Never sick, light fever when teething.

SMH, trusting RVF forum over trained professionals. But I do.

God bless

Atlas Shrugged

Woodpecker
Woman
Protestant
Didn't want to start a different thread, so I'll ask if any mom's or dad's can advise me here.

My boy is 13 months and still breastfeeding. We'd like to continue until at least 18 months.

What would you recommend on when to ween him off or is it more a child by child situation? He's got 10 teeth and he's biting to the point he draws blood, but it's been so beneficial with his development that we don't want to stop. Of course she could pump, but you all know the amazing bonding that mother and child receive through breastfeeding.

A little background, he's in Vietnam right now, so we don't really have or maybe want a pediatrician. They all want to shoot him up with "vaccines", but he's had none. Never sick, light fever when teething.

God bless
Breast milk is the main powerhouse so if she needs to pump so be it. There will still be bonding and that is amazing that she did it for 13 months so far! When he does bite does your wife say no and remove her breast? Even babies can learn so that may do the trick. It did for some women. It’s up to her but no one wants bloody nipples/breast so maybe pumping would be best. At least he is still getting breast milk. The older he gets it’s more for comfort than nutrition provided you are feeding him good stuff not the fake processed foods. Thankfully I never had that issue. My son never bit me. I can’t imagine. I had some soreness and that was enough to not enjoy moments when soreness was there. As for weaning that does seem to be up to the child. But if they still want it at 5 I’d say no! I always thought 3 years is a good time to stop. But to each their own.

Brebelle3

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
Breast milk is the main powerhouse so if she needs to pump so be it. There will still be bonding and that is amazing that she did it for 13 months so far! When he does bite does your wife say no and remove her breast? Even babies can learn so that may do the trick. It did for some women. It’s up to her but no one wants bloody nipples/breast so maybe pumping would be best. At least he is still getting breast milk. The older he gets it’s more for comfort than nutrition provided you are feeding him good stuff not the fake processed foods. Thankfully I never had that issue. My son never bit me. I can’t imagine. I had some soreness and that was enough to not enjoy moments when soreness was there. As for weaning that does seem to be up to the child. But if they still want it at 5 I’d say no! I always thought 3 years is a good time to stop. But to each their own.
Thank you sister.

She is very gentle and I think afraid to hurt his feelings. I told her bloody nipples is not acceptable, but she needs to learn to say no.

He eats eggs, fresh fruit, vegetables, bone broth, grass fed beef and free range chicken. She purees or mashes the food up as much as possible.

Of course her family just wants him to eat rice, being that he's half Vietnamese. She will not give him rice or any product with soy in it.

Thanks again

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic

God bless
One of my babies decided to wean at 11 months; but the other three were all somewhere between 19 and 22 months. I found that to be a good age. It seemed to happen pretty naturally as they became more active.

Pray_Everyday

Sparrow
Woman
Other Christian
Hi everyone, I've been wanting to find an answer from a Christian perspective on this matter. Most/all of the information on the internet (as you all know) comes from a secular perspective that is often against the ideas of modesty, decency, selflessness, etc. and even some "Christian" sources are not very traditional or have a liberal bent to them. So I would like to know what anyone here thinks from an either biblical or orthodox view.

Anyway, what do you all think about women nursing babies in public (around others besides immediate family) without covering up? Is it immodest? Should women either cover up or excuse themselves to a private or women-only space? Should her husband have the final say in the matter?

Some of the "Christian" sources I've found said it's ok because in the Bible nakedness is defined as just from the belly to the knees, or because renaissance era art depicts it. Or because there is more revealed in a bathing suit (i'd beg to differ). And yes, I'm American, so from what I understand historically we are more uptight about nudity.

I'm aware the standard secular/liberal response is "it's her body!" or "the law gives her that right," or "mind your own business!", but as we all know, just because something is legal doesn't make it right or moral. I'm also aware that as babies grow they tolerate a cover up or blanket less, but as they grow they also eat less often so it's not as much of a hassle to go somewhere private to feed.

Thoughts?

Atlas Shrugged

Woodpecker
Woman
Protestant
Hi everyone, I've been wanting to find an answer from a Christian perspective on this matter. Most/all of the information on the internet (as you all know) comes from a secular perspective that is often against the ideas of modesty, decency, selflessness, etc. and even some "Christian" sources are not very traditional or have a liberal bent to them. So I would like to know what anyone here thinks from an either biblical or orthodox view.

Anyway, what do you all think about women nursing babies in public (around others besides immediate family) without covering up? Is it immodest? Should women either cover up or excuse themselves to a private or women-only space? Should her husband have the final say in the matter?

Some of the "Christian" sources I've found said it's ok because in the Bible nakedness is defined as just from the belly to the knees, or because renaissance era art depicts it. Or because there is more revealed in a bathing suit (i'd beg to differ). And yes, I'm American, so from what I understand historically we are more uptight about nudity.

I'm aware the standard secular/liberal response is "it's her body!" or "the law gives her that right," or "mind your own business!", but as we all know, just because something is legal doesn't make it right or moral. I'm also aware that as babies grow they tolerate a cover up or blanket less, but as they grow they also eat less often so it's not as much of a hassle to go somewhere private to feed.

Thoughts?
Well as a woman I see it as a beautiful moment. Not sure how men view it. There is a way to try and do it without flashing your breasts, however, if you ever go out with a screaming baby you need to feed your baby quickly, not take forever to look for a private room. There are many coverings/shawls that cover everything so it should not be an issue but I can always tell when a mom is feeding her baby and it makes me smile. I am very opposed to people saying go to the bathroom. No you go to the bathroom where people deposit waste and eat your meal first. Then get back to me. If a woman is just letting her breast hang out while getting the baby ready she has no modesty and wants people to see that. I’ve been at restaurants with friends who start nursing their baby at the table and I don’t see a nipple. You can be ninja fast.

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant

Thoughts?
This is all about discretion. A woman can nurse her baby in public in a way that no one will notice or she can make it obvious where she’s trying to get attention. That’s the difference, imo.

Pray_Everyday

Sparrow
Woman
Other Christian
Well as a woman I see it as a beautiful moment. Not sure how men view it. There is a way to try and do it without flashing your breasts, however, if you ever go out with a screaming baby you need to feed your baby quickly, not take forever to look for a private room. There are many coverings/shawls that cover everything so it should not be an issue but I can always tell when a mom is feeding her baby and it makes me smile. I am very opposed to people saying go to the bathroom. No you go to the bathroom where people deposit waste and eat your meal first. Then get back to me. If a woman is just letting her breast hang out while getting the baby ready she has no modesty and wants people to see that. I’ve been at restaurants with friends who start nursing their baby at the table and I don’t see a nipple. You can be ninja fast.
Yes, I was specifically referring to women who just let it all hang out because "it's their rights", because I've seen some "Christian" sources defend this practice. I think if there's a shawl or light blanket or covering the whole thing is a nonissue.

I agree that no woman should be forced to go to the bathroom to feed. I also believe that no woman should be shamed for choosing to go to the bathroom to feed if it's the only private place around and there's no where else she would feel comfortable (or if her husband would prefer that).

When a baby is extra fussy and keeps pulling away, or wanting to change sides constantly, or pull on the blanket then nursing discretely takes on a whole different level of difficulty. For some women it's just harder than others - I required a blanket and once my children started to try to pull the blanket off I chose to go somewhere private.

Kitty Tantrum

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
This is all about discretion. A woman can nurse her baby in public in a way that no one will notice or she can make it obvious where she’s trying to get attention. That’s the difference, imo.
Exactly.

In addition, a lot of it has to do with what the baby is comfortable with, and the sort of environment that is actually conducive to good feeding. This may vary from baby to baby.

I've never seen a problem with nursing in public, even with no "cover." While the baby is eating, its head will cover more of the mother's breast than most popular clothing would.

Some babies will NOT settle down and nurse if you don't take them somewhere calm and quiet or use a cover/blanket to limit their field of view so they (and you) are not distracted. They want to bond with you, they want you to fix your attention on them instead of on your surroundings.

Some babies will scream bloody murder and literally fight with you if you try to cover them up or insist on going somewhere else to feed them. They are viewing the scenery with fresh eyes and are mesmerized by it, and don't want their taking it in to be interrupted by eating.

I had one of each.

Brebelle3

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
My wife is Vietnamese and our son was born in Vietnam. One of the things I really liked about the culture was that nobody cares when a mother begins to feed their baby in public.

Of course my wife tries to be discreet, but no one cares either way.

What I wasn't prepared for was my wife to be naked all the time at home. She doesn't put on a dress unless someone comes to the home. Our son just goes up and gets a drink whenever he feels like it.

Not sure if it's appropriate, but he's doing so well with his development that I just roll with it.

Pray_Everyday

Sparrow
Woman
Other Christian
Not to be alarmist but perhaps it's a good idea to stock up...

I've bought some preemptively a few weeks before each child was born just in case my body didnt function and the expiration date is usually about 8 months later. I figured better safe than sorry, and can be donated if not needed.

(I'm aware it's not "natural" and has seed or vegetable oils as an ingredient, but -rarely, but in the realm of possibilities - some women's bodies do not produce enough, and/or they may not be able to make the homemade formulas.)

Atlas Shrugged

Woodpecker
Woman
Protestant
Not to be alarmist but perhaps it's a good idea to stock up...

I've bought some preemptively a few weeks before each child was born just in case my body didnt function and the expiration date is usually about 8 months later. I figured better safe than sorry, and can be donated if not needed.

(I'm aware it's not "natural" and has seed or vegetable oils as an ingredient, but -rarely, but in the realm of possibilities - some women's bodies do not produce enough, and/or they may not be able to make the homemade formulas.)
You gotta do what you gotta do but I’d also look into a wet nurse. Formula backup is a good idea in this time. Maybe some people freak out with the whole wet nurse thing but when I had milk I would have fed any baby! I think the most important part of milk production is stress levels. I know hard with a newborn but when mom is calm, baby is calm and milk flows.

Pray_Everyday

Sparrow
Woman
Other Christian
You gotta do what you gotta do but I’d also look into a wet nurse. Formula backup is a good idea in this time. Maybe some people freak out with the whole wet nurse thing but when I had milk I would have fed any baby! I think the most important part of milk production is stress levels. I know hard with a newborn but when mom is calm, baby is calm and milk flows.

Ok, I have to admit that yes, the idea of having a wet nurse and my child actually feeding directly off her does bother me, but I would have been completely ok with accepting donated milk (in theory). Mostly because I would be sad if my child were bonding more to her than his or her own mother.

As for the donated milk, my nephew was born a few months before my daughter and my sister-in-law overproduces so we had the option of getting milk from her if needed. However, the mother's diet matters, and hers consist primarily of junk food (and now she's vaxxed), so I don't know if the nutritional quality would even be necessarily better than formula...

When I was pregnant I borrowed to read a book called Real Food For Pregnancy (and happened to take some pictures of the relevant pages which I will attempt to post below), and the author made some interesting claims. She said that this information is not well known or publicized, because they don't want to discourage breastfeeding, but that a mother's diet low in some B vitamins can cause stunted growth or even cause the baby's brain to shrink.

Of course, this is not even relevant if the mother has a healthy diet, but if she doesn't there is a risk of irreparable damage. And let's face it, many people have an inadequate diet, whether out of ignorance or laziness (junk food), or misinformation (veganism or vegetarianism). Now, this is me putting my "conspiracy" hat on, but I did find it awfully strange how the vaccine-pushing medical establishment that wants only the best for us was so insistent that ALL mothers breastfeed exclusively...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220410-013531.jpg
    Screenshot_20220410-013531.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20220410-013328.jpg
    Screenshot_20220410-013328.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20220410-013219.jpg
    Screenshot_20220410-013219.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 2

Atlas Shrugged

Woodpecker
Woman
Protestant
Ok, I have to admit that yes, the idea of having a wet nurse and my child actually feeding directly off her does bother me, but I would have been completely ok with accepting donated milk (in theory). Mostly because I would be sad if my child were bonding more to her than his or her own mother.

As for the donated milk, my nephew was born a few months before my daughter and my sister-in-law overproduces so we had the option of getting milk from her if needed. However, the mother's diet matters, and hers consist primarily of junk food (and now she's vaxxed), so I don't know if the nutritional quality would even be necessarily better than formula...

When I was pregnant I borrowed to read a book called Real Food For Pregnancy (and happened to take some pictures of the relevant pages which I will attempt to post below), and the author made some interesting claims. She said that this information is not well known or publicized, because they don't want to discourage breastfeeding, but that a mother's diet low in some B vitamins can cause stunted growth or even cause the baby's brain to shrink.

Of course, this is not even relevant if the mother has a healthy diet, but if she doesn't there is a risk of irreparable damage. And let's face it, many people have an inadequate diet, whether out of ignorance or laziness (junk food), or misinformation (veganism or vegetarianism). Now, this is me putting my "conspiracy" hat on, but I did find it awfully strange how the vaccine-pushing medical establishment that wants only the best for us was so insistent that ALL mothers breastfeed exclusively...
Yes this can be true but I also think a woman’s body will take from you to produce the best milk for a baby. Your body knows what your baby needs and breastmilk will have what it needs for your baby. When women have preemies their milk is different for the preemie it’s amazing and super cool at the same time. Even when pregnant I was super sick vomiting all day and losing weight but baby was fine. My body could have killed me before anything happened to my baby. I think that’s impressive. So just my opinion even with an imperfect diet your body will still make great milk! I just think a bad diet means mom will get sick cause the best milk possible is being made and leeching whatever it lacks from moms body. Also yes getting pumped milk would be better so you can feed your baby. I get that you don’t want your baby on someone else’s nipple. It’s the milk that’s important so bottle breast milk is fine.

Atlas Shrugged

Woodpecker
Woman
Protestant
Didn’t want to edit but I really do think that your body knows baby comes first. Which is good. Not so for mom but great for baby. I am a great example. The last 3 months of pregnancy when the all day vomiting stopped my only food consisted of pirogies, corn and orange juice. So the last 3 months of development consisted of potatoes, dough, corn and acidic drink. I was a hot mess but son was healthy over 8 pounds at birth. How I don’t know. So don’t underestimate our bodies giving babies the best even when we don’t give ours the best. Only sad thing is I can never have Funyuns again. Out of all the vomiting sessions that one stuck with me. I used to love Funyuns. Not anymore.

ChristFollower1111

Sparrow
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
They’re starting to pay attention to this now- Donald Trump Jr. posted about it today, which I’m grateful for. Many are claiming that the shortage began in February with the Similac recall at the Abbott, MI factory, but I noticed this problem weeks before that and started this thread on January 14.
Man I hate being right sometimes…
I’m still not sure what to make of this situation except that it’s quite obvious the powers that be aren’t concerned with making sure babies are fed and cared for. Well duh they aren’t, but can it get any more obvious? Yes- breast is best and there are old fashioned alternatives, but for some reason a lot of babies have all kinds of allergies and stomach problems nowadays and “need” certain brands. Anyway- I just came here to check the date that I posted this because in clown world, you’ve always got to double check and make sure you aren’t the crazy one…. I’m praying for the babies out there who need these specific formula brands for whatever reason and that no babies are harmed from this. Edited to add- that no *more* babies are harmed because I believe at least a few died from the recalled formula in February.

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
They’re starting to pay attention to this now- Donald Trump Jr. posted about it today, which I’m grateful for. Many are claiming that the shortage began in February with the Similac recall at the Abbott, MI factory, but I noticed this problem weeks before that and started this thread on January 14.
Man I hate being right sometimes…
I’m still not sure what to make of this situation except that it’s quite obvious the powers that be aren’t concerned with making sure babies are fed and cared for. Well duh they aren’t, but can it get any more obvious? Yes- breast is best and there are old fashioned alternatives, but for some reason a lot of babies have all kinds of allergies and stomach problems nowadays and “need” certain brands. Anyway- I just came here to check the date that I posted this because in clown world, you’ve always got to double check and make sure you aren’t the crazy one…. I’m praying for the babies out there who need these specific formula brands for whatever reason and that no babies are harmed from this. Edited to add- that no *more* babies are harmed because I believe at least a few died from the recalled formula in February.
I actually saw a brief clip on the local news about baby formula shortages just the other day and thought about this thread… I hope those that needed it stocked up.

Pray_Everyday

Sparrow
Woman
Other Christian
Yeah for the last month or so, at least, every time I pass by the baby section at Target (who I hate supporting, but don't know which alternatives would actually be less bad) to pick up wipes I've noticed the formula shelves are completely empty except for small quantities of one brand at a time. I'm hoping families are able to get what they need by buying online or something.

I saw another news article about it today. Apparently prices have gone up as well. They were blaming supply chain problems and difficulty with sourcing ingredients, and calling on the FDA to do something about it.

Regarding the powers that be caring about babies being fed, when I was pregnant the ob and nurses were ridiculously pushy regarding breastfeeding, and it was brought up every single appointment. They were adamant that ALL moms should exclusively breastfeed, told me that the hospital would not provide formula unless it was with a prescription and I was evaluated by a lactation consultant first (which led to me sneaking some in just in case my body didn't work), and even discouraged pumping and feeding the pumped milk instead of nursing directly.

Considering how I always heard about Big Pharma and the formula industry, I was surprised. I'm admittedly a conspiracy researcher kind of person, but I found it super weird that these same people who kept trying to insist that I get vaccinated (pre-covid and after) and take unnecessary medications would be suddenly want me to not rely on Big Pharma. Also interesting that the first hospital (which was in a "diverse" demographics area) was about 5x more pushy than the private hospital in a nice area. If I didn't know any better I would say disgenics are involved...

a mother's diet low in some B vitamins can cause stunted growth or even cause the baby's brain to shrink.

One more thing in case it helps anyone out there. I don't think I've seen it mentioned in the thread but eating a huge bowl of oatmeal daily will increase supply. Can't vouch for the quality of the milk necessarily (see above, eat meat), but it definitely will help increase quantity.

Mountaineer

Hummingbird
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
I know nothing about feeding babies but, let's say, 200 years ago there was no such thing as a baby formula. How did people feed their babies then? Instead of focusing on such shortage we should go back to the old ways.

Pray_Everyday

Sparrow
Woman
Other Christian
I know nothing about feeding babies but, let's say, 200 years ago there was no such thing as a baby formula. How did people feed their babies then? Instead of focusing on such shortage we should go back to the old ways.

I think back then people lived in more close knit societies, and had more children, so if a woman didn't produce enough milk a relative could help her out. Someone in the community was bound to have had a child recently. Also, they didn't eat a diet of processed food, and were probably healthier without all the problems of modern life (hormones and plastics in the water, GMOs, etc.)

Or they used animal milk. I think I've read that they used goat milk, which some women still use in Africa today (it's been a couple years since I read that article, so it may have been another animal).