Bald & Bankrupt Gets Corona

wannable alpha

Woodpecker
I have watched most of his videos. Seems like a "natural" YouTuber. In this video he doesn't look very thin as most COVID19 patients are supposed to be after recovery.

Elmore

Kingfisher
I have watched most of his videos. Seems like a "natural" YouTuber. In this video he doesn't look very thin as most COVID19 patients are supposed to be after recovery.
He posted some pics from the hospital a few days ago on his social media, and initially i was a little dubious.

YouTuber with 2M plus subs, is off doing VLogging saying "Corona is bullshit, i'm not stopping!" and carrying on traveling (tacitly encouraging others) all over former Sov Union as if nothing's happened. Essentially advertising reckless tourism at a time when these countries are bearing the brunt of Covid.

It's conceivable this could've pissed off people in any of these countrie's govt, and maybe a quiet word is made in his ear, no doubt with some sort of information they may have on him, or just a naked threat 'if you want to carry on in this region without an 'accident' then you need to play nicely".

HOWEVER

Having watched that i am pretty certain he's legit. He wouldnt be that good of an actor. He's clearly been pretty badly fucked up by it.

He posted some pics from the hospital a few days ago on his social media, and initially i was a little dubious.

YouTuber with 2M plus subs, is off doing VLogging saying "Corona is bullshit, i'm not stopping!" and carrying on traveling (tacitly encouraging others) all over former Sov Union as if nothing's happened. Essentially advertising reckless tourism at a time when these countries are bearing the brunt of Covid.

It's conceivable this could've pissed off people in any of these countrie's govt, and maybe a quiet word is made in his ear, no doubt with some sort of information they may have on him, or just a naked threat 'if you want to carry on in this region without an 'accident' then you need to play nicely".

HOWEVER

Having watched that i am pretty certain he's legit. He wouldnt be that good of an actor. He's clearly been pretty badly fucked up by it.
Yes, it does seem real. His voice and figure are altered. Although your initial hypothesis isn't totally off-base; countries listen to him, and he was made to apologize for comments he made about Chechen women:

In the past I would have thought this moral strong-arming is backwards, but now I see its merits.

Last edited:

Hypno

Crow
I enjoy his channel but I take it with a lot of skepticism.

He goes out of his way to never say anything negative. I appreciate his positive outlook on life but you can tell he has to censor his stuff. He seems to seek out the biggest wierdos in a villiage instead of the marriage-age women, and never mentions prostitution, the police, etc. Its all very odd.

As for the Covid, well its still propoganda. He got sick and avoided going to the hospital for 10 days. Where was his girlfriend/wife? She let him get that sick and not go to the hospital? Where are the pics from the ICU? There are big gaps in his story. It might be true, but it seems like it was a message targeted to the most individualistic folks out there - adventure travelers. Call me very skeptical.

Mojambo

Pigeon
Why is this in a new thread? This has been posted already in the original CV thread.

I'm not going to doubt any individual case right away. There is no need to. And I feel sorry for anyone that has had a bad response to the virus, at the same level I would feel sorry for anyone young suffering from cancer, or a terrible car accident. It is bad luck.

But looking at statistical anomalies is fearmongering nonetheless. A video like this being spread and for some reason getting its own thread demonstrates survival bias or selection bias: selecting the handful of cases that stand out, misrepresenting the now known statistical improbability of being harmed by the virus.

If you show us videos of people winning the lottery, or anecdotally saying "I know a friend of a friend that won big", does that make the lottery any easier to win? It sure does convince a lot of mathematically challenged that it does.

Videos showing those committing suicide due to financial ruin, social isolation, and those dying from causes as a result of avoiding medical care due to the COVID scare don't make interesting Reddit or YouTube material. And for every one of these videos of a "popular" YouTuber getting the trendy Corona, there are countless other tragedies as a result of Corona policy that simply don't get the same attention, not forgetting to mention all the existing statistically more probable events affecting the young such as cancer, murder, automobile accidents, etc.

Elmore

Kingfisher
I enjoy his channel but I take it with a lot of skepticism.

He goes out of his way to never say anything negative. I appreciate his positive outlook on life but you can tell he has to censor his stuff. He seems to seek out the biggest wierdos in a villiage instead of the marriage-age women, and never mentions prostitution, the police, etc. Its all very odd.

As for the Covid, well its still propoganda. He got sick and avoided going to the hospital for 10 days. Where was his girlfriend/wife? She let him get that sick and not go to the hospital? Where are the pics from the ICU? There are big gaps in his story. It might be true, but it seems like it was a message targeted to the most individualistic folks out there - adventure travelers. Call me very skeptical.
I agree re his channel.

It's absolutely a product. I suspect some level of smoke & mirrors is at play with a lot of it. His bolivian village series a case in point.

I find his channel entertaining & a fun watch, but i suspect deep down he's quite a cynical, nihilistic individual.

This seems underlined here, after having a brush with death, his take is there is nothing to it all but matter, and to 'make the most of life while its there'. Which sounds fair enough on the surface, but what does he mean by 'make the most of it'? I suspect ultimately chase vicarious thrills & novelty, rather than any kind of genuine introspection.

Re the covid. His girlfriend presumably did not travel with him, she doesnt on most of his vids. He posted pics from hospital on his IG a few days ago.

I agree and was skeptical, perhaps still am to an extent. A high profile travel channel who's been visibly flouting the common approach, suffering terribly for it. It is indeed very tidy. But again, looking at the vid, it would be a hell of an acting job. He looks and sounds pretty messed up. You can hear the affect in his voice & his breathing seems compromised. Of course arguably this could all be achieved my mischief, but i doubt it.

I think he just took the piss with it all, thought he was indestructable (a major theme in his work) and copped it.

I watch a lot of his content. It's amazing the pull you get for "promoting Russia". Dude said he got airlifted to a hospital because his friends made a few calls.

He looks pretty good considering he was inches away from dead. I am also suspecting he made the whole thing up. The story just seems a bit contrived.

Regardless, I hope he keeps doing his channel.

Lol, if I had the kind of pull to get airlifted, then someone would have the pull on me to make an advertisement (whether in the form of a video blog or something else convincing enough) to make the sheep think the illusion is real. I don't buy it.

Elmore

Kingfisher
Story is probably true, but I'm skeptical of YouTubers. They pull stunts all the time because there is pressure to get views.
I was skeptical too but he's not made any videos for over a month, whilst traveling. So if we are to assume its an elaborate wheeze (no pun) for more views & ultimately cash, then he's sacrificed a month, and likely to establish credibility, the next couple months (he's said he'll need serious rehab and recuperation time), for what, a big splash that may get double one of his normal vids?

Vids that during the timeframe he would have banged around 6 a month out.

Not to mention keeping the fact that its all a ruse under wraps.

Nah i dont buy that it'd be worth it, even if he is shady and untrustworthy by nature.

Enigma

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I'm skeptical about his actual illness, but I don't see what's so unbelievable about the air lift story.

1. From what I've seen of his videos, he's genuinely friendly with locals and always striking up conversations, usually in areas that don't see many foreigners.

If you travel like that, you're going to make friends and get perks from it. There are forum members who I know personally who end up with all sorts of contacts by living like that.

2. Russia is dealing with their own media portrayal regarding Covid. The last thing they want is some famous Youtuber dying there.

In Vietnam, where there have been no deaths, they spent a fortune over two months saving the most severe case, a British pilot. He was treated by some of the top medical experts in the country.

RexImperator

Crow
Gold Member
Russia is dealing with their own media portrayal regarding Covid. The last thing they want is some famous Youtuber dying there.
Well he was in Serbia, not Russia, but two countries are long time allies, and culturally close.

My understanding is that he has some old family ties back to the Soviet era government so there may more to the story. Then again he may simply have made friends while travelling in Russia.