Basic Attention Token (BAT)

MrDoe

Chicken
Not sure how many have noticed this yet, but Gab forked (took brave browser open source code) and created their own browser which runs on bitcoin and the lightning network.

From my perspective, this is why the BAT price dipped recently, also a bitcoin implementation with the lightning network will make the Brave browser and BAT token irrelevant.

Some Resources on the Issue:

https://bitcoinist.com/brave-browser-gab-bitcoin-lightning/

https://decryptmedia.com/6719/gab-forking-brave

https://nulltx.com/crypto-browser-wars-brave-vs-gabs-dissenter/

Irenicus

Pelican
Gold Member
I am Brave user for over a year now.

The speed of the browser is quite good. By default, it has a ad-blocker and torrent downloader on (which honestly, needs a little bit more of work). Of course, if you value privacy, look no further.

That BAT concept seems promising too.

The main downside is that many websites do not work as intended in Brave. For example, since the newest release, I can't watch videos on Udemy anymore (I can log in, and browse that site, but can't watch anything). Hence, I have to use some other browser such as Chrome.

Same thing with some other websites that involve streaming (and rely heavily on scripts).

To be honest...you can't expect much from a browser that is still in beta testing. Problems come and go. Hopefully...once it leaves beta, things will get better.

My verdict is 7/10 - score can (and certainly will) be improved once it leaves beta. When that will happen? As soon someone opens a thread called "I am beta testing Brave. Does that make me Beta?".

Irenicus

Pelican
Gold Member
Addendum to previous post - I figured out where the problem is.

If you use the newest version of Brave, you must enable cookies, in order to avoid problems when browsing some websites (in my case, Udemy and Vestaire).

Goodbye Chrome...you won't be missed.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Funny that this thread was bumped with no mention of what Gab's doing.

Over the past week it was announced that Gab is forking Brave's open source components (which are mostly based on Chrome), removing BAT, and adding Bitcoin.

This is the Achille's heel of the "utility token" model - any open source software can be forked to remove the utility token, because everyone prefers actual currency over a shitcoin.

Full story: https://bitcoinist.com/brave-browser-gab-bitcoin-lightning/

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I've been using it for a week or so on my phone (Android), no issues and it's definitely faster. The layout is also more intuitive than the Chrome app once you get used to it (tab button is at the bottom of the screen where you can easily hit it with your thumb instead of on top in Chrome, for example). About to download it for my laptop.

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Does anyone have any earning stats from using this?

So far it seems to me that I'm getting about $1 for every million visitors, which is roughly the same as what archive.org reported. And that's one million visitors with any browser. So maybe $1 from every 5,000-15,000 Brave users.

Currently you're likely to make more crypto with Presearch, which you can make $6-12 / month from. But I think over time that may be worth $60-120 / month. So possibly $1,000 per year for searching the web as you normally would. The site has had very strong traffic growth since April.

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Anyone else got any details on BAT income for being a publisher?

My income has been tiny. One million visits (any browser) were only worth about $0.30. But then for October it's about $0.25 per 100,000 visits.

This is still inconsequential. But it's a big uptick.

Recently Brave announced they've hit 8 million active users.

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
It seems that the reason income for BAT publishers has gone up is due to a larger-scale roll out of Brave's in-browser ads, which is currently limited to select advertisers.

Occasionally in the Brave browser you will have a white text box pop up in the corner with an ad. This is optional - can be turned off. These ads are bought by the advertiser and the revenue is split between the ad viewer and Brave. Heavy internet users in The US can expect to make about $6-7 per month from viewing these ads.

This revenue that browsers generate is then often (optionally) disbursed to websites/Twitter feeds/Youtube channels etc. they view, based on time on page.

So the flooding of BAT into the ecosystem from real advertisers has pushed up income for publishers.

I'd put DuckDuckGo as making $2,000 this month. Wikipedia is likely five figures.

Currently a visitor in the Brave Browser is worth about 10% of a normal visitor.

As this is Brave-BAT's first months with their reward system really running I think that can only increase. BAT has also taken a 50% haircut from the general crypto decline.

The team behind BAT is huge and professional, including Brendan Eich, creator of JavaScript and co-founder of Mozilla.

The thing I like most about it is it paves the way for an internet feature I've wanted for some time - if I find some useful information on a web page, I want to give a small tip. Maybe $0.10, $1. Brave and BAT are increasingly making it easy to do that. You can send Roosh a dollar in 5 seconds with Brave. This opens the way to competing with Paetreon, which will handles about $400M this year.

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I really like it.

FYI, it's down to $0.17 USD (from $0.70 USD in Roosh's OP).

Is this a good buy and forget crypto currency?

BAT has been very sluggish even though it's one of the most used. Some time ago I found an inventory of the monthly spend on ads via the platform. I think it was something like $1.7 million per month. This is used to buy tokens to pay for the ads. I would guess that is more like $3 million now. So maybe an annual real economy of around $35 million - far more than most crypto.

BAT made a move up to 42 cents before crashing heavily. Historically BAT has been one of the most stable coins. Whereas many alts crashed in excess of 95%, BAT only went down about 50% and has a lot of small peaks and troughs. But a major rally doesn't seem that likely without some major news. That is the way crypto works.

Anyway. Over the last few days my BAT income from Brave Rewards is up about 400%, to a couple of dollars per day. Maybe there is also a surge of Brave onboarding as people flee for the intelligence fronts of Google, Facebook and Twitter. This project has the potential to crush Google Ads, and by that Google. So if you don't have Brave download it now:

presidentcarter

Ostrich
Gold Member
Anyway. Over the last few days my BAT income from Brave Rewards is up about 400%, to a couple of dollars per day. Maybe there is also a surge of Brave onboarding as people flee for the intelligence fronts of Google, Facebook and Twitter. This project has the potential to crush Google Ads, and by that Google. So if you don't have Brave download it now:

I haven't noticed any real change in payouts for ads.

Are you sure you're looking at it correctly? One thing I noticed is that it pays out on the 5th of the month and for several days the balance is kind of 'double counted' until it clears from your Brave and is only in your Uphold.

Overall I think it's a genius concept to directly compensate people for their 'eye time' on ads.

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I haven't noticed any real change in payouts for ads.

Are you sure you're looking at it correctly? One thing I noticed is that it pays out on the 5th of the month and for several days the balance is kind of 'double counted' until it clears from your Brave and is only in your Uphold.

Overall I think it's a genius concept to directly compensate people for their 'eye time' on ads.

Yes, that is correct about the counting. Their reporting is not up to much. It would be good to have a record of what type of donation it is, how much and a day by day report. But I have received about $16 in four days. I've heard people in crypto make a lot more from it.

My payouts grew by about 80% last year. It seemed a lot more people started using Brave and the ads got a bit thinner. A lot of people are saying they get few ads now, though I believe the number of ads served has grown. Moving forward I believe they are looking at embedding ads into websites. So if you have rewards on you will see privacy-respecting, low-key ads on participating websites and platforms.

presidentcarter

Ostrich
Gold Member
Yes, that is correct about the counting. Their reporting is not up to much. It would be good to have a record of what type of donation it is, how much and a day by day report. But I have received about $16 in four days. I've heard people in crypto make a lot more from it.

My payouts grew by about 80% last year. It seemed a lot more people started using Brave and the ads got a bit thinner. A lot of people are saying they get few ads now, though I believe the number of ads served has grown. Moving forward I believe they are looking at embedding ads into websites. So if you have rewards on you will see privacy-respecting, low-key ads on participating websites and platforms.
If, in four days, you have earned $16 worth of BAT...something is not right here.

Let's do the math:

- Maximum ads per hour setting is 5
- Currently, 1 BAT = ~$0.28 (rounding up to be conservative in your case)
- You earn ~ $0.05/ad at today's (higher) BAT valutaion (that's half a cent per ad pop up)

So you've spent 630 hours using Brave in four days?

The only unaccounted for variable is your 'state level ad targeting' setting, which should not make this massive of a difference.

Now I know there may be other linkable 'rewards' options like I think I saw that you can link something from Apple (Apple pay?) to get rewards but I'm not sure how that works and would also not likely account for your extremely high earnings.

FYI my earnings for this period are ~ $0.76 as a result of 150 ads received (5 per hour setting). That means I've been 'online' for around 30 hours in the last 4-5 days.

And yes you're right, sometimes the ads will flat out stop for a period of time. I supposed this is due to their user count, budget, BAT valuation, etc. You should still be limited to a maximum of 5/hr, as that's the maximum setting in the Brave Reward options.

EDIT: The only other thing I can think of is that you're a 'creator' and receiving donations in BAT from other users. Let me know if that may be the case.

Last edited:

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
If, in four days, you have earned $16 worth of BAT...something is not right here.

Let's do the math:

- Maximum ads per hour setting is 5
- Currently, 1 BAT = ~$0.28 (rounding up to be conservative in your case)
- You earn ~ $0.05/ad at today's (higher) BAT valutaion (that's half a cent per ad pop up)

So you've spent 630 hours using Brave in four days?

The only unaccounted for variable is your 'state level ad targeting' setting, which should not make this massive of a difference.

Now I know there may be other linkable 'rewards' options like I think I saw that you can link something from Apple (Apple pay?) to get rewards but I'm not sure how that works and would also not likely account for your extremely high earnings.

FYI my earnings for this period are ~ $0.76 as a result of 150 ads received (5 per hour setting). That means I've been 'online' for around 30 hours in the last 4-5 days.

And yes you're right, sometimes the ads will flat out stop for a period of time. I supposed this is due to their user count, budget, BAT valuation, etc. You should still be limited to a maximum of 5/hr, as that's the maximum setting in the Brave Reward options.

I am using Brave for Publishers: https://creators.brave.com/