Best Book You Read This Year?

Biz

Kingfisher
Siddhartha and The Way of Men

Currently reading 48 Laws of Power, this will be a lifelong reference book. I'm reading it slow to really understand each law.

LeBeau

Ostrich
Gold Member
Consul said:
Thinking Fast and Slow

Grain Brain
Thinking Fast and Slow was also up there for me too.

With the love that Nassim Taleb gets in Red Pill forums/blogs, I'm surprised more people haven't picked this one up yet.

Hate to use this term, but it can reveal a whole new perspective on "inner game".

quino_16

Woodpecker
I also forgot to add All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Marie Remarque.

For those of you that don't about the book, it is a novel about World War I from the perspective of a young German solider.

It is very poignant and a great read. Highly Recommended for anyone interested in WWI or, in general, looking for a great book.

LeBeau said:
I go through a lot of books each year so I will probably add more, but most recent one off the top of my head:

I was asking about investment books in another thread. As such - I am going to check this one out.

Doctor

Robin
Winston Churchill Trilogy by William Manchester and Paul Reid.

Griftopia by Matt Taibbi and the Big Short by Michael Lewis. Both about the 2008 crisis. I basically knew nothing about the financial crisis prior to reading these two books. I thought they were both very good.

John Dies at the End by David Wong. It is fiction. It is incredibly stupid. But it was one of the funniest books I've ever read. This Book is Full of Spiders is his follow up. It is pretty funny too, but not as good as the first book.

Tyson's bio was up there two. Definitely one of the most entertaining stories I've ever read.

Doctor

Robin
cardguy said:
Good books!

The Tyson, Taibbi and Lewis books are brilliant.
I know I picked up Tyson and Griftopia on your recommendation. Not sure where I picked up the Big Short from. Good Stuff all around though.

All of those financial books on that link sound good. I'll have to see about picking them up.

tarquin

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I read Alexander Dolgun's Story after seeing it on Roosh's blog a while back. It is a page turner and I started to re-read it in the last few days.

The only other thing of note I read was Walter Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs. It was pretty in depth and didn't candy-coat how much of an ass he was in many respects.

I've been avoiding fiction, for the most part, but my tastes may change.

Excellent year for autobiographies. The Tyson, Schwarzenegger, Steve Jobs and Alex Ferguson (a UK soccer manager) books were all great.

Yeti

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I also read Alexander Dolgun's story this year. It's very good and helps you remember that pretty much anything you go through in the West is nothing, there are people who suffer worse and still get on.

The Exile - Mark Ames and Matt Taibbi. This is about the feeling of being young and free as an expatriate, where life is easier and more fun for a time.

Griftopia - Matt Taibbi. A very good and easy-to-understand explanation of the 2008 crisis.

Kitchen - Banana Yoshimoto. A weird story about a young woman in Tokyo, and very good. A love story of sorts.

douglas

Robin
Gold Member
Blindsight

Peter Watts

its a science fiction book with very interesting concepts. Its not a light read and can be mind fucking.
[attachment=16335]

Attachments

The Wolf of Wall Street. Just too damn entertaining to pass up. Although right now I'm reading Emerson's Self-Reliance Essays giving it a run for its money. Not quite the same type of read, but stimulating as hell.

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Re-read a book from my university days.

The Magus - John Fowles

The most interesting work of fiction I have ever read. About the nature of truth, what we hide from ourselves, how powerful the ego or self is. Really an amazing book I would recommend all younger men to read.

samsamsam

Peacock
Gold Member
Cyr said:
I read a lot this year compared to 2012 and 2011 (about 30 books), but my two favourites were Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond, and Black Swan by Taleb. I thought Gun, germs and steel was incredible, because it was such an in depth study and there were lots of interesting points and case studies (such as why Tasmania was the most primitive country on earth). There were a few things which weren't explained (such as why England was the most successful European country when it lacked the advantages of many mainland nations, but overall I learnt a lot, and it triggered further reading as I want to learn more about Polynesian, South American history etc.
Just got Guns, Germs and Steel on CD. Fascinating.

Thaitanium

Robin
Gold Member
samsamsam said:
Cyr said:
I read a lot this year compared to 2012 and 2011 (about 30 books), but my two favourites were Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond, and Black Swan by Taleb. I thought Gun, germs and steel was incredible, because it was such an in depth study and there were lots of interesting points and case studies (such as why Tasmania was the most primitive country on earth). There were a few things which weren't explained (such as why England was the most successful European country when it lacked the advantages of many mainland nations, but overall I learnt a lot, and it triggered further reading as I want to learn more about Polynesian, South American history etc.
Just got Guns, Germs and Steel on CD. Fascinating.
You guys should follow up with his book: Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed. Also an interesting read.

Viper Pilot by LT. Col. Dan Hampton a look at what its like to be in F-16 Pilot in the USAF. He covers everything from training to daily life to combat missions in huge detail. Its an excellent read and look into the world of a fighter pilot, as this world is largely secret and very unknown to the general public.

Thrill Jackson

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Currently wrapping up Mark Mansons " The Art of Not Giving a Fuck" a very solid book that opened my eyes to some insecuritys I was never aware of

Turnus

Kingfisher
Phil Jackson said:
Currently wrapping up Mark Mansons " The Art of Not Giving a Fuck" a very solid book that opened my eyes to some insecuritys I was never aware of
Thanks for this recommendation. Started it this week. Pretty good so far.

Hypno

Crow
Pre-Suasion by Rovert Cialdini.

This is the guy who wrote the landmark Influence. Read that one first but this one is very good too. Guy is a professor of psychology or advertising or something similar. He is an academic but writes in a friendly, Freakonomics style.

Not a game guide per se but has a lot of insights that can be adapted to game.