Best Comic Books

Checkmat

Pelican
One of the most unique comics I've read is The Red Star

The Red Star is a comic book series by Christian Gossett set in a sci-fi/fantasy world described by Gossett as "Mythic [Soviet] Russia". The "Lands of The Red Star" were inspired by both Russian folklore and military history. The series is thus heavily reminiscent of a post-World War II Soviet Russia mixing technology and sorcery.

The 'United Republics of the Red Star', often simply called the 'State' in the comic, are shown to be coterminous with the historical Soviet Union in a map at the beginning of the first issue. The main enemy of the first novels, Al'Istaan, is a stand-in for historical Afghanistan and occupies a similar area of the map.

Kid Strangelove said:
Ooooo, I love this thread.

Here is some stuff that blew my mind:

Superman Red Son - what would happen if superman was sent to earth 12 hours earlier? He lands in a small collective farm in the Ukraine and becomes a hero in Stalinist Russia. This 3 part comic is easy to read, brings interesting twists on the heroes we all know and love, and has one of the most insane twist endings of all time. Highly Recommended.

Wanted. Yes, the comic that the movie with Angelina Jolie was based on. The only thing the movie and the comic have in common is the name. This 6 issue miniseries explores what would happen if the world was secretly run by a team of elite super-villains. It's dark, insanely violent, and the main character was directly inspired by Eminem.

Enjoy
Super Man Red Sun movie would be epic.

Great Comic book. +1

Checkmat

Pelican
LeBeau said:
One of the most unique comics I've read is The Red Star
^ Nice post, never heard of it, but I like that illustration style and concept already.
I definitely recommend checking it out. They ran aground late in the series with money issues I think and the comics stopped coming out. Then they put all of them into trade paperback format so you can buy them like that and read just like a graphic novel.

There's also a movie in the works slated for a 2014 release date. It'll probably suck but I think it's so cool that such a niche comic is blowing up.

LeBeau

Ostrich
Gold Member
Just picked up the AoA collection (on the left) as a new coffee table book, considering getting into the Avengers Vs. X-men series on the right, has anyone read those?

Or is this crossover not worth it from what you've heard?

Cobra

Ostrich
Gold Member
I loved the EC Horror and Sci-Fi comics from the 50s. I don't consider much else the same quality. These guys were the reason the Comics code authority was established. Good shit.

Jones

Woodpecker
Anyone reading any good comic books lately?

One of the greatest things America has given to the world is comic books. I believe that art affirms life, and mixing images and story-telling can produce great works of aesthetic value and meaning.

The current scene of comic books is comparable to the modern dating scene: so many to choose from, so many with wicked minds spewing propaganda, all of them want you for your money, and you have to wade through the garbage to find the good ones worthy of your time.

Rush87

Ostrich
I used to love the [Malibu] Mortal Kombat series. It didn't last very long though. I've always thought there was room to make an awesome Mortal Kombat movie, but they have always wound up being absolutely terrible.

Elster

Pelican
Gold Member
I know i ll put an oddbal post here

anyone into the more "underground" or "european(though this is a limiting definition)" ones?

Stuff like put out by Jean Giraud/moebius,Jodorowsky,Bernet.etc?

DamienCasanova

Ostrich
Gold Member
Jones said:
Anyone reading any good comic books lately?

One of the greatest things America has given to the world is comic books. I believe that art affirms life, and mixing images and story-telling can produce great works of aesthetic value and meaning.

The current scene of comic books is comparable to the modern dating scene: so many to choose from, so many with wicked minds spewing propaganda, all of them want you for your money, and you have to wade through the garbage to find the good ones worthy of your time.
Seems like most of the mainstream Marvel/DC books have all gotten very SJW-ish lately, so independent comics have been the way to go recently. Plenty of the Image and Indy books are heavy on the SJW too, the whole industry has gotten very soft and feminized from what it used to be decades ago.

Practically every comic nowadays has to have trannies, gay characters making out, several minorities replacing traditional white characters, empowered women calling all the shots and the like, it's getting pretty old. I hate it how so many characters have been replaced with minorities or retconned to be gay or something, like Marvel made Iceman gay all of a sudden...seemingly for no reason other than to add a gay character. Thor is a woman now. The new Hulk is an Asian kid. The new Captain America is black. The new Spider-Man is a black/spanish kid. The new Ms Marvel is a Muslim. The new Wolverine is a woman. I don't know why they can't just introduce new minority characters if they need to fill their quotas, instead of shoehorning them into popular characters and jettisoning the originals. But there are still some masculine books to be found if you dig deep enough.

Conan is still one of my favorite comics of all time. The King of Alphas, all he does is beat monsters, kill betas, drink mead and fuck hot chicks. Dark Horse still prints several Conan series regulalrly. Also a big fan of The Goon & Hellboy, also from Da Horse

Valiant has been pretty good lately also, they relaunched their whole line a few years ago and everything from them has been solid for the last few years. In fact i'd say they probably have the tightest line of comics across the board of any company right now. Bloodshot, X-O Manowar, Ninjak, Harbinger, Archer & Armstrong, Eternal Warrior are all excellent plus new character spin offs like Imperium & Divinity, have all been real interesting and all dealing with very modern problems and stories.

Image has some pretty rugged books too, I recommend Southern Bastards, Low, Black Science, East Of West, Manhattan Projects, Injection, The Goddamned, Luther Strode, and of course old favorites like Walking Dead & Invincible.

Image Books like Saga, Wicked & Divine get a lot of praise online, but they are pretty heavy handed on the homosex narratives so I try to avoid them.

Jones

Woodpecker
DamienCasanova said:
Seems like most of the mainstream Marvel/DC books have all gotten very SJW-ish lately, so independent comics have been the way to go recently. Plenty of the Image and Indy books are heavy on the SJW too, the whole industry has gotten very soft and feminized from what it used to be decades ago.

Practically every comic nowadays has to have trannies, gay characters making out, several minorities replacing traditional white characters, empowered women calling all the shots and the like, it's getting pretty old. I hate it how so many characters have been replaced with minorities or retconned to be gay or something, like Marvel made Iceman gay all of a sudden...seemingly for no reason other than to add a gay character. Thor is a woman now. The new Hulk is an Asian kid. The new Captain America is black. The new Spider-Man is a black/spanish kid. The new Ms Marvel is a Muslim. The new Wolverine is a woman. I don't know why they can't just introduce new minority characters if they need to fill their quotas, instead of shoehorning them into popular characters and jettisoning the originals. But there are still some masculine books to be found if you dig deep enough.

Conan is still one of my favorite comics of all time. The King of Alphas, all he does is beat monsters, kill betas, drink mead and fuck hot chicks. Dark Horse still prints several Conan series regulalrly. Also a big fan of The Goon & Hellboy, also from Da Horse

Valiant has been pretty good lately also, they relaunched their whole line a few years ago and everything from them has been solid for the last few years. In fact i'd say they probably have the tightest line of comics across the board of any company right now. Bloodshot, X-O Manowar, Ninjak, Harbinger, Archer & Armstrong, Eternal Warrior are all excellent plus new character spin offs like Imperium & Divinity, have all been real interesting and all dealing with very modern problems and stories.

Image has some pretty rugged books too, I recommend Southern Bastards, Low, Black Science, East Of West, Manhattan Projects, Injection, The Goddamned, Luther Strode, and of course old favorites like Walking Dead & Invincible.

Image Books like Saga, Wicked & Divine get a lot of praise online, but they are pretty heavy handed on the homosex narratives so I try to avoid them.
Image does seems to be the way to go for creator owned content (i.e. not properties owned by Warner Bros. and Disney). They are also cheaper here in Canada than the big 2 - $3.50 compared to $3.99 and $4.99 US.

I have never read anything from Valiant. Dark Horse does do some good work so I'll have to get back into them.

DC is really in the toilet apart from the main Batman series and Justice League. Marvel's recent reboot has only left a couple titles worth reading that aren't filled with the changes you mentioned above (The Vision & Doctor Strange to name 2).

Elster

Pelican
Gold Member
I had heard about Thor,because geeks:tard:Rule63 but Wolverine too?Iceman gay?

Ah well,it l be fun when the next "i want characters like they were when i grew up but now i get to make my fanfiction real" generation of geeks take up the comic gears of mainstream.

Meanwhile I'll throw in my two cents with some other off kilter stuff,Like Jean Giraud/Moebius who worked in magnificent titles such as Blueberry,the air tight garage and Arzak.
(really trippy stuff warning)

He also penned the original "Incal" story scripted by Alejando Jodorowsky.

For MANLY comics,I like the hardboiled "Torpedo" from Catalonian/spaniards Jordi Bernet.
A noir style gangster scene where the namesake runs aroudn doing dirty jobs,doing women and doing himself into and out of trouble.
NO idea if there are English translations out there....

Raitheon

Pigeon
Bone by Jeff Smith.
Inventive retelling of the hero's quest, beautifully drawn black and white art, hands down a great read.

bucky

Pelican
I am surprised no one has mentioned Swamp thing, or I Vampire, although I Vampire got canceled because of DC's ridiculousness
I'll resurrect this thread from the old RVF to mention Swamp Thing. I gave up on mainstream comics in the late 1980s and have just been getting back into them lately. I just started rereading Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run and am blown away by how great it is and how well it still holds up. Not everything I liked when I was a teenager does (Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, for example).

I read All-Star Superman a while back on the recommendation of a random cashier at the supermarket who had a bunch of DC pins, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I tried some of the early New Teen Titans stuff because my kids and I like to watch the Teen Titans Go! cartoon, but it was just OK, not as great as I remembered from when I was in high school.

I was more of a Marvel zombie in high school, but for whatever reason I've felt more inclined to get into DC as I gradually start reading comics again. Maybe because I'm more interested in going back to the bronze age and 1980s stuff and I already read a huge chunk of Marvel's output from that era when I was in high school. Possibly also because I was never that interested in the Avengers, the X-men seems like it would be all hamfisted allegories about racism now, and I get the feeling that Spidey's continuity is far too convoluted at this point and the best Spidey stories were done long ago.

Anyway, I'm interested to see if anyone else on the new forum is into comics and what you like.

A few of my favorites:
- Asterix the Gaul. The whole series is slapstick humor about barbarians fighting Romans.
- Tintin. A Belgian reporter who does very little reporting, but a lot of Hardy Boys type amature detective work, along with a drunk, bad-tempered sailor and an autistic professor.
- Batman: The Long Halloween. I'm not such a huge fan of the style of art they used in this one, but the story won me over.
- Cleburne by Justin Murphy. About the Confederate General who wanted to free the slaves in exchange for their help protecting America from the Northern aggressors.
- Zot by Scott McCloud. I realize as an adult how pozzed the series was, but I'm nostalgic about them anyway.
- The original Batman comics, starting with Detective Comics #27. The OG Batman was way darker than the modern one.
- Watchmen, which everyone already knows is a must read.