Best English Language Bible?

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Yeah, I had a NRSV Bible for a scriptural literature class I took in college. It basically made reading the Bible feel like a dry, academic text.

I've been reading the NKJV lately and actually really appreciate this translation. Retains some literary artfulness, but not the archaic expressions and vocabulary that's substantially changed in the last 400 years since the original KJV. I feel it's a bit prettier than the ESV, which can get really clunky in, say, Paul's epistles: ESV is great for serious study, but not so great for, say, reading aloud to your family, though it depends on which book you're reading.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an audio version of the Bible? I've found myself walking and driving a lot more lately so the physical version isn't always practical.

There are quite a few versions on Audible, but many reviews say they are poorly organized and difficult to skip to certain chapters.

Used to rely on the abridged New American Catholic bibles when I was younger as I used to find the King James version just daunting or more likely I was just intellectually lazy.
The older I've gotten, it's back to the King James. I'm not keen on meaning being diminished through the lens of oversimplification.

Enigma

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Does anyone have a recommendation for an audio version of the Bible? I've found myself walking and driving a lot more lately so the physical version isn't always practical.

There are quite a few versions on Audible, but many reviews say they are poorly organized and difficult to skip to certain chapters.

There's an smartphone app called Bible.is that lets you listen to a ton of different versions, including in other languages. You can skip to and download different sections easily.